VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So did anyone famous go to your grade school, high school, or college?

The only ones I know of are baseball players. Mike Dunne, who pitched in the 1984 olympics and was the NL rookie pitcher of the year in 1987.

And Jim Thome. Actually Thome went to the same high school and junior college as I did and we have the same birthday (but he's 3 years older). Thome recently signed a 6-year $85,000,000 contract with Philadelphia.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael

And Jim Thome. Actually Thome went to the same high school and junior college as I did and we have the same birthday (but he's 3 years older). Thome recently signed a 6-year $85,000,000 contract with Philadelphia.
You know, there's one of the reasons why I have lost complete respect and interest for baseball. He could bat 400, hit 50 home runs and 200 RBI's... but sorry, no player (in any sport) is worth 85 million.

Meanwhile the fans have to foot the bill and pay corporate prices for an afternoon at the ballpark with their kids. But hey, we don't want the players or owners to make less... they might go on strike again.

Ok, this was off-topic... feel free to delete.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well, he's famous to ME because he played Doctor Who, but Peter Davison (the 5th Doctor) went to two of my old schools. And the guy who played the original Bungle in the kids' TV show Rainbow also went to my secondary school.

And David Bowie's ex-wife, Angie, went to my University.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael

Thome recently signed a 6-year $85,000,000 contract with Philadelphia.
85 million to run around a diamond and wear what you're told to for a few years? I shouldn't have skipped school during Sports class!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Can I claim Delores O'Riordan, The Cranberries singer? She went to school across the road from me. About a year or 2 ahead of me I think.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Well, my highschool has a picture up of an actor who later on played a character in the Police Academy movies. But our real celebrities are football players. We have had a lot.

A lot of famous people went to my college, bc it is a private, small liberal arts college of that sort. But a recent claim to fame- recently at commencement weekend at my college, Chelsea Clinton was there bc her boyfriend at the time was graduating. And I know a guy who went to Yale, and there were several famous people (like actors, etc) who went with him, including that girl who played Darlene on Rosanne.

I'm hoping that someone I knew when they were unknown someday becomes famous. Actually, that is on the verge of happening. I know this guy. He was mentioned in Rolling Stone, so he is on his way...

ETA- I can't resist, Liz Phair and Jane Pratt went to my college, but not while I was there.

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

but sorry, no player (in any sport) is worth 85 million.
I would argue that some are. Thome certainly isn't, at least not in Philadelphia (worst fans ever).

Back to the topic - I went to the U. of Maryland so there's a half dozen NBA players (Steve Francis, Joe Smith, and a few deep-benchers) that I was in school with. One of the players from when I was there is a Harlem Globetrotter now.

I think I went to high school with the son of the guy that played Huggiebear on Starsky and Hutch.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Michael J. Fox attended my Junior High.

Johnny Depp "went" to my school many times, as they filmed a few episodes of 21 Jumpstreet there. I met him when I was 14. You can imagine the squealing.

·
Banned
559 Posts
closet i've got is peter frampton's daughter was a year below me in high school.

reese witherspoon went to my high school's rival (two all girl schools who hated the other).

yeah i think that's it. some big dude from the boston pops though lived in the tiny house i am living in now. that's all i know.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
i attended what is now thames valley u. in ealing for a year. it used to be ealing college where freddie mercury attended. i want to say a rolling stones guy as well--forget who.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Darren Turcotte, NHL player, i don't know what team cause i never bothered to follow his career. anyway i think he went to my highschool at least cause his dad was a teacher there when i was in highschool. he would have graduated before i started there, and his dad retired the year before i left. but yeah, there you have it. not sure what elementary school he went too though

there might be a couple others but i only know of that one. i think he grew up a few blocks away from me

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
A's pitcher Barry Zito (I think thats how you spell his name) is said to have gone to U.C. Santa Barbara...although I did not know him.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Few who don't live in Canada will know who he is, but Ian Hanomansing went to my university. He's the host of Canada Now on CBC.

Alex Coville, a pre-eminent Canadian artist, also completed the same BFA program I'm doing now.

So... sorta famous.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Anyone in the UK who's interested, check on friends reunited, it has a section for famous pupils of your school.

Germaine Greer taught at my university [Warwick]

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
A football player named Tim Green went to my high school. Two opera singers, Lisa Vroman and Renee Fleming, graduated from the music school at my college.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts