VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an opening at a local vet. I've spent the last 5 years at mental health agencies working with kids. Been out of work for the better part of this year as my last company folded. About to apply at a new one but I think I like might working with cats and dogs better than people. I know the challenges of working with people...animals not so much, but I'm sure they are there. Anyone worked at one?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I worked at a vet hospital in high school. I was a master of the custodial arts (or a janitor if you want to be a dick about it). I also shampooed a really big dog regularly, and once got to assist the doc during a spay operation.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've worked at clinics for four years now. It's my passion and also the source of a ton of stress in my life.<br><br>
What your duties will be depends in the clinic. I started out with straight kennel work. Lots if cleaning, walking dogs and endless poop scooping. Monitoring animals in terms if eating, drinking, overall demeanor and bathroom output. Also basic grooming and assisting in restraint. I also ended up assisting with a lot of euthanasias.<br><br>
Eventually I moved on to more assistant type work. Basic lab work, anesthetic monitoring, and (depending on the clinic) taking blood samples and xrays.<br><br>
Generally I tell people to expect to eventually be covered in every bodily fluid you can think of. You'll have clients scream at you and accuse you if not caring about animals. You'll dodge teeth and claws and not always succeed. You'll go home some nights and cry because you lost a patient or helped with a euthanasia.<br><br>
Now, if I haven't scared you away comes the good part. You'll feel like you've helped save lives and actually accomplished something tangible daily. Sometimes you do get the kitten, puppy and rainbow days. You'll get to spend time with patients who will amaze you with their ability to cope with illness and injury. You'll get time with some amazing lives and sometimes awesome associated people. I can't imagine doing anything else and find great satisfaction in my work.<br><br>
If you're being considered see if you can do a working interview or a short volunteer session to see what you'd be getting into.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts