VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my second one now. My thumb is so swollen from it that it's one thrid larger then the other one. Too bad this ones on my right hand and I'm right handed. My last one was on my right big toe.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Surprised nobody here has ever had one because the wegbpage said they fairly common injuries.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi,

I had to look it up, as I'd not heard the word before - I'm not sure if the reason no one is replying is because they haven't had one, the spelling of the condition was wrong, or weren't sure what it actually was.

What type of infection did you get? Has it gotten any better yet? Doesn't sound like much fun to be swollen

Paronychia (you missed the y) a superficial infection of the skin around the nails, most commonly caused by staphylococcus bacteria or fungi.

I'm not sure if this will be of any help, but you did say you've had them in the past - maybe prevention will help, if you're not already doing these things. I looked this up as well and found this:

Paronychia Prevention

To prevent paronychia, care for the nails and the skin around the nails properly. Avoid damage to the nails or the fingertips. Do not bite, or pick the nails. Because the nails grow slowly, damage can cause an injury that lasts for months. Protect the nails from exposure to detergents and chemicals by using protective rubber or plastic gloves, preferably with cotton liners.

To minimize the risk of damage to the nails, keep them smooth and trim them weekly. The toenails grow more slowly; trim them about once a month. For fingernails and toenails, use sharp manicure scissors or clippers for trimming and an emery board for smoothing the edges. The nails may be softer and easier to trim after bathing. Trim fingernails with a slightly rounded edge; trim toenails straight across and don't cut them too short.

Do not trim cuticles or use cuticle removers. Cuticle removers are corrosive and may damage the skin around the nail. Trimming the cuticle results in damage to the skin at the base of the nail and allows an entry point for fungi (and bacteria), which can result in infection.

Anyway, take care

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think I'm going to do any heavy cleaning without gloves anymore.

Nah...getting worse...my thumb keeps swelling up more and more.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Have you been using any topical oilments to help with the infection? I believe there were a few different types of infections, and they could come on slowly or be very acute. Finding out if its an infection with bacteria or fungus might help you in being able to treat it, but I'd say at the very least see a pharmasist, but as you have had more than one case of this, it might be worth seeing a doctor about to make sure that it isn't a chronic thing where its just going away in certain areas and coming back up in others because it hasn't been completed purged from your system (sorry, I'm having a mental block for better words). Good luck

·
Registered
637 Posts
Had one recently, used antibiotic ointment (actually sold for eye infections), it cleared up after 2 applications (one day, one night). You might try that... if you treat it quickly it won't get so bad !

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine started out as a wound on the side of my thumb ( I think I had a splinter) and spread into my nail/ turned into a paronychia.

In the past when I've had splinters, they just cleared up on their own instead of spreading somewhere else.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yep, I've had that. I didn't know there was a name for it! Usually it has come from a tiny crack around the base of my nail - I get really dry skin during winter sometimes, and that's when I get this most often. Hurts like the dickens. Definitely do antibiotic ointment - I've read that if you don't treat this, it can become celulitis (where it spreads down into a lower layer of tissue and can result in a systemic staph infection - not nice!).

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paronychias can get bad. They can cause blood posioning and the infection can get into bone. I think the antibotic cream might only work for minor paronychias only. I read soaking in antibaterial soap would help but ti did nothing for my thumb one but it might have been because it was too far along. I even read about someone having a finger amputated due to a paronychia. Infection must have gotten into the bones.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Yes, I get it all the time - I bite my nails (mostly from stress).

It hurts like a mother****er, but it goes away in a day or two. I usually douse it in cold water every once in a while to alleviate the pain & pressure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.