VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a heck of a crop this year , just wondering how many other people here gather these and use them?

Still have about another month before pecans and such are ready for me to pick up but I was wondering if any other veg*ns here use acorns as well

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
I have. It was really more of an experiment than anything else. It's a lot of work to process them considering what your'e left with is almost pure starch.

I keep meaning to do it on a grander scale every year and forget. Thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well they are a decent sourse of calcium and protein, it is a whole lot of work but I think if I had the ability to do it larger scale I would.

Kids love pancakes made out of the stuff not to mention the tree's put off such huge amounts of buts its a shame not to use them!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You shell the Acorns, dry them a little then grind them up real fine.

Then you run water through the flour until it runs clear or when you taste them they are no longer bitter.

It is simple really just takes time.

Some people boil them but I perfer just running water on them, the water can be saved to, it helps dyes set much more vivid if you ever dye cloth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.