VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't even mean the holiday blues, where you dread so-and-so getting drunk before dinner, and everyone getting into a fight (hopefully, that doesn't describe your family).

But I'm feeling so depressed about turkeys, and how no one seems to give a f*ck about them. (Well, people here do, so I should "most people," not "no one"!)

I don't know if it was Butterball or what that decided it wasn't a proper Thanksgiving if you didn't eat a turkey, but I want to slap that guy.

I just read, too, that we started celebrating modern Thanksgiving around World War II. And so if we just decided to cut the turkey out of Thanksgiving, it's not like we would be destroying some thousands-of-years-old custom.

The other thing I find discouraging is I feel like my not eating turkey isn't going to affect anything. For instance, my family is eating one. I guess, then, it doesn't make a difference after all. (Obviously, I'm still not going to eat any, though.)

tl;dr

Anyone else totally bummed about Thanksgiving dinner?

PS: There is a vegan Thanksgiving get-together close to me, but that's not really an option. I would hurt my family by skipping dinner with them. I am going to see, though, if I can get them to have a meat-free Christmas, as their Christmas gift to me.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Yes, it bums me out too. Hell, I get POed when they cut down so many baby trees for Xmas, just to throw them away. We're such a thoughtless society.

The best of luck with your family, LOL, and a Happy Holiday to you!

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I'm sad about the turkeys, but thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. My family and I eat a fabulous vegan feast, and the week before I do a lot of vegan outreach and teach people about vegan options and the exploitation of turkeys.

Don't sit around and be depressed, this is an opportunity to educate.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Can I suggest a couple of things that may help?

First, check out one of John Robbins' books, May All Be Fed. It is likely out of print, so try the library. Throughout the book, he talks about the dark side of meat & dairy, but he never loses sight of the human component of our current situation, and he always writes in optimistic terms about positive signs of change (even small ones). He also talks about the importance of connecting with human beings and trying to understand where they come from, even if you don't agree with their choices. Robbins is big on compassion... For people and animals. If you read or even skim through the book, you will come away with renewed hope.

Second, even though T-giving is a national holiday, realize that the "rules" stop right there. The rest of it is tradition and custom, and we can do whatever the heck we want with that. You make T-giving whatever you want; you are choosing to be with your family (a good thing), and you are NOT choosing to buy into turkey-worship- also a good thing. So ask them to buy some Vegan bread and use Earth Balance in the baked yams, make up a nice Vegan casserole and a pumpkin pie to share, and sit far away from the turkey. In your heart, know that you are doing the best you can, and so are they. Ask about having a meat-free Christmas, or see if they will at least compromise on some of it. If they don't do it this year, they might next, who knows. Just don't ever forget that love and compassion are never wasted, even though they seem very small to us.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Yes! I sat with a woman on a work break who went on and on about the cost of turkey this year. She ended by asking what I thought a good price for a turkey was. I told her life shouldn't have a price. I also told her of the farm sanctuary where she donate whatever she wanted. She won't be speaking to me again I'm sure...

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm not depressed, I managed to convince my mom to make a lasagna instead, it won't be vegan but it will be vegetarian (I asked her to have one side with normal sauce not meat sauce just for me and my son) and I won't have to watch the family carve a huge turkey. I agree on the pine trees though, I know they are grown just to be cut for Christmas but it still sucks when there are so many artificial good looking trees who will last forever, I had mine for 15 years now and it's still looking fine.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I'm off to spend a week with meat eaters, including the meat-eatingest day of the year. Dreading it, actually.
I can empathize! I just got back from spending a weekend with the inlaws out of town. I had to endure a dead turkey on the table and talk of hunting deer. I have tried for years to educate them and show them that one can thrive as a vegan and it is unneccesary etc to exploit and eat animals. They aren't interested. Thankfully I only have to deal with this once a year. I put more effort into educating other groups because my inlaws aren't willing to listen at this point.

Thankfully I will have an all vegan dinner with my side of the family on Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes! thank you for posting it. :)
I've also read some stories through United Poultry Concerns about people who fix special Thanksgiving dinners for turkeys at certain sanctuaries -- all vegan, of course: pumpkin pie, cranberry sauce, etc.

Then they get to watch them eat it: the VIP attendees of the feast! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can I suggest a couple of things that may help?

First, check out one of John Robbins' books, May All Be Fed. It is likely out of print, so try the library. Throughout the book, he talks about the dark side of meat & dairy, but he never loses sight of the human component of our current situation, and he always writes in optimistic terms about positive signs of change (even small ones). He also talks about the importance of connecting with human beings and trying to understand where they come from, even if you don't agree with their choices. Robbins is big on compassion... For people and animals. If you read or even skim through the book, you will come away with renewed hope.

Second, even though T-giving is a national holiday, realize that the "rules" stop right there. The rest of it is tradition and custom, and we can do whatever the heck we want with that. You make T-giving whatever you want; you are choosing to be with your family (a good thing), and you are NOT choosing to buy into turkey-worship- also a good thing. So ask them to buy some Vegan bread and use Earth Balance in the baked yams, make up a nice Vegan casserole and a pumpkin pie to share, and sit far away from the turkey. In your heart, know that you are doing the best you can, and so are they. Ask about having a meat-free Christmas, or see if they will at least compromise on some of it. If they don't do it this year, they might next, who knows. Just don't ever forget that love and compassion are never wasted, even though they seem very small to us.
I wish I could "like" this twice! I will check out the book, too!

·
Don't Eat Animals.
1,291 Posts
Last year, we had the TOFURKY Thanksgiving, after being vegetarians. :)

This year, (we celebrated yesterday), we had our first vegan Thanksgiving. :):)

My daughter made a vegan Shepard's Pie, with veggies, lentils, etc. We had some other dishes as well. For desert, we had a raw pumpkin cheesecake. Overall, it was one of the best vegan meals I've ever had!!! It takes a lot to impress me, & I'm still excited. :D

My buddy was talking to me today about his Thanksgiving. Having 20 people over....turkey this, turkey that.....he knows I don't eat meat. He asked about my Thanksgiving....I mentioned the Shepard's Pie.....and things got kinda quiet.

The BITE SIZE VEGAN video about Thanksgiving just about says it all. It's kinda messed up.

I feel good about eating a bunch of veggies and maybe sparing a turkey or two. :)

Reactions: LedBoots and Purp

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Last year, we had the TOFURKY Thanksgiving, after being vegetarians. :)

This year, (we celebrated yesterday), we had our first vegan Thanksgiving. :):)

My daughter made a vegan Shepard's Pie, with veggies, lentils, etc. We had some other dishes as well. For desert, we had a raw pumpkin cheesecake. Overall, it was one of the best vegan meals I've ever had!!! It takes a lot to impress me, & I'm still excited. :D

My buddy was talking to me today about his Thanksgiving. Having 20 people over....turkey this, turkey that.....he knows I don't eat meat. He asked about my Thanksgiving....I mentioned the Shepard's Pie.....and things got kinda quiet.

The BITE SIZE VEGAN video about Thanksgiving just about says it all. It's kinda messed up.

I feel good about eating a bunch of veggies and maybe sparing a turkey or two. :)
I am happy about Thanksgiving this year, too. :) Vegan dinner around 4 today. :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
i am hoping not to offend my dinner host, who is making both a ham and a turkey. Plus a crockpot of little smokies, sweet and sour ham balls,and quite a few of the dishes will include bacon in the recipe.

I really hate to draw attention to myself, and I dont want to discuss my vegetarianism, so I am hoping that I can just get a plate full of vegetarian side dishes and enjoy my the company of my friends in peace.

If asked I will say I am saving room for pie.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts