VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An uncle of mine is always into odd foods, and one thing he got me to try is marine phytoplankton - I've been on it for almost 2 weeks and don't notice any changes is myself yet... just wondering if anyone else has tried it?

Justin

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
My first thought -- despite the "phyto" prefix is "Gee, I thought plankton were animals." It turns out that plankton is a general term for any living organism who lives its life being swept around by currents. (See wikipedia entry for plankton) "Phyto", of course means plant. Now back to the show...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was talking about this with one of my coworkers. We were talking about how to get efa's without eating fish, basically how fish get it from phytoplankton anyway and how supplements from phytoplankton are popular now. He asked if you could just eat the plankton and I told him that I don't know how but I imagined it could probably be fermented into some kind of paste, like soybeans. Plankton miso. It might make a good soup.

Anyway, I don't take supplements of phytoplankton. But, I'm in the market for plankton miso.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Well, the OP posted this a YEAR ago, and then only hung around for a month... so maybe it either A.) it gave him so much energy he didn't have time for VB or B.) it affected his memory and he forgot he was a member here.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Well, the OP posted this a YEAR ago, and then only hung around for a month... so maybe it either A.) it gave him so much energy he didn't have time for VB or B.) it affected his memory and he forgot he was a member here.

And (off topic) why aren't you over at the cupcake thread girl?!

You're our prized cook!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Fish do.

Is it supposed to be for omega-3s? And what form can you get it in? I'm not a big supplement eater, but I'd like omega-3s that are bit more efficient than the plant versions I get from my walnuts and canola oil.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
You can also get omega-3's from flax seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds, and purslane. It's not hard to find from land sources. Everytime something comes from the sea, the harvesting methods used begin to worry me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I take marine phytoplankton and love it. I know there is a company that markets a drink with it, but there's not much plankton in the formula. You're better off with the pure powder. It is a little expensive so I only take one gram per day (sometimes 2). I like the pure powder, it tastes a little like cucumber juice, which I can handle. It also comes in capsules, but I think the nutrients get into my system faster with the powder mixed in water, or tomato juice. I use Poseidon from Riceplex because they also send you rice bran with your order. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I just finished the DHA softgels I bought a month or two ago (only 30 doses). The label said the source was a DHA-rich oil derived from an algal source; I don't know if it was marine or freshwater, or if it was plankton.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

... the DHA softgels ... a DHA-rich oil derived from an algal source ....
As marine phytoplankton seems to be prohibitively expensive for most people - especially if one wants to get the daily recommended amount of 1 g of DHA from it - I wonder about these DHA softgels, whether they are more affordable, and what is the name of this product.

P.S. I just discovered such or, probably rather, this product.

I wonder why they make a secret out of the exact species from which it is extracted. I prefer whole foods and thus would prefer to consume the whole algae, which should have a lot more valuable nutrients, and should be affordable too.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
yeah I take Spirulina and Chlorella daily!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts