1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
570 Posts
For the last couple of years, I've been experimenting with a BMI of 19, and think it's great. However, I don't call it CR because this is placing the emphasis in the wrong place (IMHO). My goal is the maintain my desired weight, and my calorie intake is adjusted accordingly. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Interesting. So CR is 1600 cals or less per day? Compared to the typical SAD of 2500 calories? That isn't saying much. Basically, it's a diet full of healthy food, portion control, and proper choices. huh.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I'd rather live a few less years than get used to feeling hungry all the time, but that's just me.
I did calorie restriction from 1000 calories one time, and then upped it to 1500 after feeling hungry all the time. Not even 1500 had me feeling satisfied, so I have to agree with you.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I think I could get used to 1600 calories a day, especially with a lot of roughage like salads. I saw something on Scientific American about this, and it's pretty interesting. Like they could make mice live incredibly long with less food. It's not about dieting or weight loss it has to do with the possibility that our bodies have a sort of calorie odometer. It could also have to do with the increased oxidation and thus free radicals every time we burn food. (just my own guess)

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I think it's a very interesting idea. And I am one of those people who wants to live forever (mwuhahaha) so I have been reading about this with some interest ever since I first heard of it a couple of years ago. However, the research I have done suggests that in young adults the risks (because you are still developing) might outweigh any benefits and that CR probably shouldn't be started until early/mid twenties. I plan on doing a lot more research before I hit that age (I'm 18 now).

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

I think I could get used to 1600 calories a day, especially with a lot of roughage like salads. I saw something on Scientific American about this, and it's pretty interesting. Like they could make mice live incredibly long with less food. It's not about dieting or weight loss it has to do with the possibility that our bodies have a sort of calorie odometer. It could also have to do with the increased oxidation and thus free radicals every time we burn food. (just my own guess)
Something we all must consider is that these experiments have been done on mice. I understand that - though smaller - animals are a lot like us, but the needs nutritionally differ on a large scale. As it rests at the moment, Scientists are only speculating at how helpful calorie restriction is to human lifespan.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussyj View Post

Something we all must consider is that these experiments have been done on mice. I understand that - though smaller - animals are a lot like us, but the needs nutritionally differ on a large scale. As it rests at the moment, Scientists are only speculating at how helpful calorie restriction is to human lifespan.

but the experiments haven't just been done on mice. They have been done on a number of different species including monkeys I think. All of them showed an increased maximum lifespan except houseflies, I believe. I still agree with your point about it being very very far from proven on humans, I just think the fact that it applies to the majority of animals so far tested lends it more credibility than if it were only on mice.

Of course, it's pretty sad that it was tested on the animals at all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies - it's interesting to hear what people have to say. I agree that I don't like the whole "CR" name for this... it makes it sound pathological instead of an attempt to live in a more healthful manner. I eat about 1500-1600 calories a day, but really, as a pretty strict vegetarian who was already conscious about being healthful, I was about there anyway. With my physical specs, I can't eat much more than that, calorie-wise, anyway and maintain my weight. I just did a little tweaking, and voila. Pretty much CR. To the poster who asked if CR was eating a certain # of calories, well, from my understanding, yes and no. There's no set #, and from all the reading and poking around I've done about this, I've seen people deciding on calorie intakes anywhere from 1000/day to 2000/day. I guess it depends on what you want to get out of it.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I have to say, the Calorie Restriction Society seems to have a rather skewed idea of anorexia. I don't wish to offend anyone here, but I found their descriptions and generalisations about the disease rather upsetting.

Sorry, just my tuppence.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Piratemoon, i totally agree w/ you since i've had ed too (just recovered..still struggling sometimes a bit)

personally i don't think calorie restrictions have many benefits at all anyway because 1. it slows your metabolism - you enter starvation mode 2. you're very likely to be malnourished in the long run with loads of deficiencies 3. you're not losing just fat but alot of muscle (thats lean tissue!!) plus a bunch of other reasons

a normal balanced veg diet is much better than depriving/restriction. if you eat according to your hunger and energy needs, your weight will stabilize itself without you thinking about it all the time

good luck though

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratemoon View Post

I have to say, the Calorie Restriction Society seems to have a rather skewed idea of anorexia. I don't wish to offend anyone here, but I found their descriptions and generalisations about the disease rather upsetting.

Sorry, just my tuppence.
I agree with this also.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratemoon View Post

Sorry, just my tuppence.
Agreed. Then again, a lot of people defend whatever they believe in at all costs. Although they are uneducated and a bit ignorant even on the subject matter of EDs - you can't really blame them for being so hasty.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Agree with PirateMoon.

Oh, and BlueWisdom, love your avatar! I think we might have something in common...

Back to the subject of CR, does simply restricting calories really help people live longer or is it the food they were eating? Most CR diets I've come across seem to be mostly plant-based with a lot of healthy whole grains, fruits and veggies, and if you take a person who's been eating the SAD diet for 30 years and put them on the aforementioned healthy diet, OF COURSE they're going to live longer and healthier, whether they're eating 1,300 calories a day or 2,300. I mean, if it was just the calorie restriction that was helping people live longer, wouldn't I get the same results if I ate 1,200 calories a day of doughnuts, bacon, and a few carrots and apples?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
http://www.calorierestriction.org/Risks

Is it me or are the risks kinda making out like you should be TOO thin from this?

Id rather be able to sit on a chair than apparently live longer, cheers. and not be cold all the time! and saying low bmi is dangerous in pregnancy, exactly how thin does this want people to be o_O

The more i read on this the more i think its all monkey balls

that said, theres no way i eat 2500 calories a day.

I definately think its what you eat, not how much. and what life you live not how long! id happily sacrifice a few years for chips hehe

·
Registered
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

http://www.calorierestriction.org/Risks

Is it me or are the risks kinda making out like you should be TOO thin from this?

Id rather be able to sit on a chair than apparently live longer, cheers. and not be cold all the time! and saying low bmi is dangerous in pregnancy, exactly how thin does this want people to be o_O

The more i read on this the more i think its all monkey balls

that said, theres no way i eat 2500 calories a day.

I definately think its what you eat, not how much. and what life you live not how long! id happily sacrifice a few years for chips hehe
I've been doing CR since Oct 2005. I restricted myself to 1800 for a year, and lost 98lbs in total. I hit my ideal weight, then kept going. Now I'm underweight, but I can't seem to stop. Every waking hour, I seem to be either counting up my calorie intake, or thinking about what I'm going to eat next. I know I shouldn't, but it's hard. After hitting a real low a few weeks ago, with the help of my best friend, I managed to up my CI to ~2400, but I'm starting to find myself falling backwards, obsessing and panicking.

And the fact that I can't sit on hard surfaces sucks too. Anything bumping my pelvis is one of the most sorest pains I've ever experienced. <.<

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post

I've been doing CR since Oct 2005. I restricted myself to 1800 for a year, and lost 98lbs in total. I hit my ideal weight, then kept going. Now I'm underweight, but I can't seem to stop. Every waking hour, I seem to be either counting up my calorie intake, or thinking about what I'm going to eat next. I know I shouldn't, but it's hard. After hitting a real low a few weeks ago, with the help of my best friend, I managed to up my CI to ~2400, but I'm starting to find myself falling backwards, obsessing and panicking.

And the fact that I can't sit on hard surfaces sucks too. Anything bumping my pelvis is one of the most sorest pains I've ever experienced. <.<
Sounds like you developed an eating disorder, honey.
I'm really sorry. Please seek help. Therapists are amazing people.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts