VeggieBoards banner

Anybody use EarthBox?

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  GhostUser 
#1 ·
http://www.amazon.com/EarthBox-RB-EB...5&sr=8-1-spell

There are a few short threads on this topic from a few years back but I was wondering if anybody else since then has used the EarthBox and how it went for them.

Some of the customer images on Amazon are pretty encouraging and making me hungry as well!

See less See more
#2 ·
my dad made his own (it's easy to do) and grows tomatoes in them. i'm not that impressed with them vs using drip with timer on above ground containers. i've had a lot better luck that way. but it is an easy way to get going, and something is better than buying it all at the store.

#4 ·
i don't like to garden in the ground. and you can make your own earth boxes. http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

when i get back in september, i am gonna finish my above ground garden. it's gonna be super badass, but the only problem is that i'll probably have fifteen hundred dollars in it. it will give me food year round though, and i'm really excited by it. gardening in the soil is a pain because of weeds and bugs and critters. once you go up off the ground a few feet those problems are largly eliminated. plus the stuff you grow yourself will just kick ass over what you buy in the store.

do you live in an apartment or a house with a yard? if you have a yard, once you get into this you could build a low cost above ground square foot garden, which will give you a lot of food. this is what i'm doing on a large scale.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAVegetarian View Post

http://www.amazon.com/EarthBox-RB-EB...5&sr=8-1-spell

There are a few short threads on this topic from a few years back but I was wondering if anybody else since then has used the EarthBox and how it went for them.

Some of the customer images on Amazon are pretty encouraging and making me hungry as well!
My mom has 2 earthboxes and loves them. It's a great concept, especially if you don't have time to water on a regular basis or don't have the time or expense to put into irrigation. Or if you are a renter and you need to move and you want to take your garden with you.

The idea is that there is a well of water at the bottom of the container. It wicks up into the soil and waters the plants from bottom to top, rather than top to bottom like in a conventional container. It puts moisture into the root zone, where it is needed.

We've done a couple seasons with them now. The big beefsteak tomatoes were a mistake. I think that plant is too big and unruly. The medium sized tomatoes worked out great though. We had trouble with cucumbers, but that may have been other factors. We did 8 heads of lettuce and that was great. You just cut off the leaves as needed and others will grow back in their place.

$50 might be a little expensive for what you actually get, but it does work, and if you use it to grow food, it will pay for itself. If you are interested in making your own, look at Earthtainer. It uses the same principles, and they have a free construction guide.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

i don't like to garden in the ground. and you can make your own earth boxes. http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

when i get back in september, i am gonna finish my above ground garden. it's gonna be super badass, but the only problem is that i'll probably have fifteen hundred dollars in it. it will give me food year round though, and i'm really excited by it. gardening in the soil is a pain because of weeds and bugs and critters. once you go up off the ground a few feet those problems are largly eliminated. plus the stuff you grow yourself will just kick ass over what you buy in the store.

do you live in an apartment or a house with a yard? if you have a yard, once you get into this you could build a low cost above ground square foot garden, which will give you a lot of food. this is what i'm doing on a large scale.
Thanks for the link! I have a house, about a quarter acre. I think I'm either going to try to make one or do the earthbox. :)

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

My mom has 2 earthboxes and loves them. It's a great concept, especially if you don't have time to water on a regular basis or don't have the time or expense to put into irrigation. Or if you are a renter and you need to move and you want to take your garden with you.

The idea is that there is a well of water at the bottom of the container. It wicks up into the soil and waters the plants from bottom to top, rather than top to bottom like in a conventional container. It puts moisture into the root zone, where it is needed.

We've done a couple seasons with them now. The big beefsteak tomatoes were a mistake. I think that plant is too big and unruly. The medium sized tomatoes worked out great though. We had trouble with cucumbers, but that may have been other factors. We did 8 heads of lettuce and that was great. You just cut off the leaves as needed and others will grow back in their place.

$50 might be a little expensive for what you actually get, but it does work, and if you use it to grow food, it will pay for itself. If you are interested in making your own, look at Earthtainer. It uses the same principles, and they have a free construction guide.
Tomatoes and lettuce are two things I would like to grow so thanks for the info!

#8 ·
hey those earthtainer instructions are just outstanding. if you spent a hundred and built 2 of those, i think that would be a very good way to start. this guy is very, very impressive. if you make them yourself, they'll be bigger and deeper. if you get addicted you can get going down the slippery slope and wind up with $500 in your gardening faster than you think
. but there are worse habits, like crack cocaine. or an even worse habit, like building a video studio

whatever you do, please make pictures of before, during and after
. you are gonna be a fabulous success at this.

#10 ·
I LOVE FRESH VEGGIES!!
I was reading your post and just wanted to see if you've heard of the Grow Box? I've tried it for 2 years now and had so much success. I had Spanish Onions, Cucumbers, Butternut Squash and Beets that grew like crazy! It's actually a bit better and a whole lot less expensive than a lot of competitors and we're all trying to pinch our pennies! Plus they hold about a gallon and a half more water. Check it out at http://www.agardenpatch.com
Anyone who wants a successful garden without the hassle, these are a must-get!!

Right now I am harvesting Romaine lettuce that I started as seeds in February! YUMMMMMMMM

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2gardengirl View Post

I LOVE FRESH VEGGIES!!
I was reading your post and just wanted to see if you've heard of the Grow Box? I've tried it for 2 years now and had so much success. I had Spanish Onions, Cucumbers, Butternut Squash and Beets that grew like crazy! It's actually a bit better and a whole lot less expensive than a lot of competitors and we're all trying to pinch our pennies! Plus they hold about a gallon and a half more water. Check it out at http://www.agardenpatch.com
Anyone who wants a successful garden without the hassle, these are a must-get!!

Right now I am harvesting Romaine lettuce that I started as seeds in February! YUMMMMMMMM
Never heard of it but I will check it out, thanks! And I'm glad you are having awesome success! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.