VeggieBoards banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey travelers (or Mexicans..)<br><br>
I am really interested in visiting Mexico City, but l do not know much about traveling as a non Spanish speaking tourist there.Anyone have any insight? I have never been to Mexico, but I have been to Africa and Europe. Thanks for any advice because I would love to go early next year, and just want more info.<br><br>
Exit51

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
It's been awhile since I travelled in Mexico, but if you're staying inside Mexico City/the DF, then you should be fine..English is everywhere.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Something I'm curious about...Is it hard to eat vegetarian in Mexico?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are usually veg options at Mexican restaurants, so I would think it would be easier than some cuisines...but I do not have first hand experience..

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was vegan quite fine in Mexico City (it's harder further out, around Mexico). Although I did befriend some Americans who spoke Spanish fluently, and they helped me out a LOT! It's good to know:<br><br>
"soy ve-keh-terry-ar-nah es-treek-ta" = I'm vegan (sorry about the spelling, it's phonetic)<br><br>
"no car-neh" = No meat<br><br>
"no weh-vos" = No eggs<br><br>
"no lak-tee-os" = No dairy

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Being vegetarian in mexico is "ok" - the problem is, they season and cook beans with chicken boullion and lard. Even the bread is often cooked with lard, especially the really nice "italian bread" resembling stuff. Watch out for the word "manteca" pronounced "MAHN-TAKE-AH"- that is lard.<br><br><br><br>
Maybe you could bring a card with you that says what you eat. WHen I was ordering in mexico, it was easy for me as I speak spanish pretty fluently. Here are some things to say:<br><br><br><br>
Soy vegetariano. (I am vegetarian - if you are male.)<br><br>
Soy vegetariana. (I am vegetarian - if you are female.)<br><br><br><br>
"Me gustaria comida que no tiene carne, pollo, pescado, ni caldo de pollo, ni manteca. Me pueden ayudar, por favor? Muchas gracias!"<br><br><br><br>
That means:<br><br><br><br>
I would like food that doesn't have meat (beef), chicken, fish, chicken broth, or lard. Could you help me, please? Thanks so much!<br><br><br><br><br><br>
let me tell you, I ended up eating a lot of guacamole and tortillas chips while I was there!<br><br><br><br>
~~~~~~~~~~<br><br><br><br>
On a side note, please be very careful about where you go in Mexico City. There are parts that can be very violent/dangerous. There are other areas that are more touristy/safe, especially if you don't speak spanish.<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/holiday/destinations/mexico_city/" target="_blank">http://www.bbc.co.uk/holiday/destinations/mexico_city/</a>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts