VeggieBoards banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time since I posted here!! I am back to my old ways- I can't stand myself, free time or being alone (borderline personality disorder), so I've taken on a second job.<br><br>
Now I have 2 days off every 2 weeks, sometimes less.<br><br>
My jobs are great (radio announcer/newscaster + health food store consultant), but sometimes I think of my poor adrenal glands, sometimes I wonder if I'll ever be able to tolerate just "being".<br><br>
Anyone else doing this? I have a habit of working 7 days a week. Do you? Do you like it or tolerate it? Why do you do it? Would you stop if you could?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Ummm...no, I'm not a workaholic. I love my job, working with children, and I love having vacations from my job in the summer, winter and spring. At the end of the day I go home, enjoy my daughter, cooking, the outdoors and my new pup. Currently I'm in love with fall weather. No way I'd want to be closed up in a building any more than I am. Yesterday, when had half the class to myself most of the morning, we simply went outside to do our work.<br><br><br><br>
What is my point in posting since I am obviously NOT a workaholic? To explain how rewarding non-work can be.<br><br><br><br>
Sorry you are back to 'can't standing' yourself. You seemed to be making some good progress before...despite your disorder.<br><br><br><br>
b

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
No I am not a workaholic, I only work very part time, i have 2 kids and 1 hubby that i enjoy being with way too much to ever be a workaholic, i also like being by myself, to read, putter around the house, go for walks, etc.......just being i guess.<br><br>
Do you have any hobbies or things you like to do in your free time? What do you do when you do have a day off?<br><br>
sometimes its good to just be, you know what i mean?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think I'm a workaholic. I love my job. It infuriates me though, when I see co-workers not taking their work seriously. Therefore, there is the one side of me so happy to be doing what I'm doing and the other side that is fuming angry at anyone who displays "deriliction of duty", laziness, or cuts corners on their assignments. Thankfully there is only one person in my lab who displays this type of attitude and I'm pretty sure it will catch up with him. The thing is, if our work isn't done properly, it could cause injury or death for those persons outside of our lab using the equipment.<br><br><br><br>
I feel industrious at work and would be okay working past quitting time, even w/o OT pay if it meant I was completing an assignment.<br><br><br><br><div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Do you like it or tolerate it? Why do you do it? Would you stop if you could?</div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
I suppose I really do like it. I don't work 7 days a week, but it's not an option at my current job. Why? I love what I do, the money has only gotten better and I really need to pay off some debts. I also feel that if I prove myself here, I will be given the recommendations and chance to work overseas. I would not stop. I feel like this "workaholic" attitude is what is opening doors for me and eventually I will have my dream job.<br><br><br><br>
I do still have hobbies and enjoy doing things outside of work. I also really enjoy being single, living alone, and time to myself. This may be part of the catylist and reasons why I've thrown myself into finding my perfect job, attaining it and continue to strive for better. It might also explain why most men seem sub-par to me and I have been single since (Sep 04). I meet them, they are not enthused about their work, they are not "put together" or independent enough and I decide I'd rather be alone than settle for that.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I hear you trueveggie about the men issue. I hate hearing that someone I'm interested in doesn't like their job, or is at a job just for a paycheck (I mean longterm with no other goals...not...just for now so I can survive until I get the job I want). I think work should inspire people rather than make them feel trapped and numb.<br><br><br><br>
b

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I looked for a definition of workoholic and found this on wikipedia:<br><br><br><br><div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">A workaholic is a person addicted to work. This addiction may be pleasurable to the victim or it may be burdensome and troubling.<br><br><br><br>
Workaholism is believed by some to be a disease, akin to obsessive compulsive disorder. The problem is that workaholics believe that if they don't work, their world will collapse. Workaholics do not necessarily love their work or try to excel in their work. If a person thinks he or she is the only person capable of performing their work, he/she is most likely a workaholic. Although most workaholism is associated with a paying job, it can also be associated with people who excessively practice sports, music, art, blogging.<br><br><br><br>
The term is often used inaccurately to describe an energetic person who devotes a lot of time to work despite having good relations with co-workers, taking pleasure in other non-remunerative activities, being well rested, and attending properly to family and social life.</div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
So, I guess I am a not a workaholic, but I am someone who loves my job, works at least 50 hours a week, goes to school full time and I am always looking for something to do even if I only have a couple minutes of free time. But, I can usually find time for VB, so I can't be a workaholic.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that definition Vegmedic. I think I do qualify. As some on this board, know I used to spend all day in bed, feeling like total h*ll, when I only worked a 2 day week & collected disability. I suppose a non-workaholic would have enjoyed the downtime.<br><br>
I forgot to mention that I have also undertaken some freelance writing work for a mental illness mag (paid) & I have agreed to be on their review board in 2007.<br><br>
Bethanie, thanks for your concern... I am only now, since I am feeling/functioning better, seeing some things for what they are in my character. And my (occasional) therapist says she sees someone behind a wall, who is scared & hates herself. Sounds like a lifelong affliction to me, thus workaholism is preferable as a defence right now.<br><br>
I'm suprised there aren't more workaholics on here!! Sounds like all of you so far have a level of balance I envy.<br><br>
Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm not a workaholic (though I do enjoy my work), but my boss definitely is. He usually works about 10-12 hours a day (though sometimes as much as 18), and usually puts in as much on weekends as weekdays. It's sad to watch. I'm not sure exactly why he does it. Probably because his job is his life.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
if by workaholic you mean post-on-veggieboards-when-i-should-be-working-aholic then yes.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
>.>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts