VeggieBoards banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
The hair on my lady parts doesn't bother me at all.

True for me as well. ^ Plus shaving there irritates the skin. I don't do it, ever.

Painful story, I quit shaving for more than a year, two years ago. Two summers included. I liked how my hairy body looked like. I didn't care about random people's opinions on it, I went to the beach feeling like a fabulous hairy hippy etc. :p Then, in winter, I met my (now ex) boyfriend, who totally freaked out when he saw me naked, so I felt ashamed and I shaved. Then we broke up and I let it grow again, but I was insecure among people to whom I want to make good impression. Like, I picked up dance and didn't want my dance class to think I'm dirty. Or, if I wanted to flirt, a hairy pit could gross the other person out. And I can't blame them, shaving is something even the most rebellious and liberal of people take for granted. I even went to an anarchist group and every girl was hairless. I preferred shaving to explaining everyday to ten people why I'm not dirty for not doing so. I didn't always have the energy to deliver feminist speeches and the reason I used not to shave was because I liked it, not because I wanted to make a statement.

That being said, I miss my hair. Sometimes it made me feel more masculine, which I liked, because I'm a bit of a tomboy, I enjoy messing with genders, I'm not straight etc. Sometimes it made me feel more feminine, in a very natural, unsophisticated way. Anyway, I'm thinking of growing it out again and f*** what everyone says. It's kimd of a big deal to me. Everytime I pick up the razor, I get a little angry. :p

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
Geez people, do what feels good to you!
I wish I liked leg hair, I hate to shave. In winter I hate seeing hairy legs, in summer I hate shaving. I wish depilatory was way way cheaper.
The thing is. it's such a personal thing. I'm not saying I don't cringe seeing hairy legs on others, men included, but I cringe when I see avocados too, so...
If you're okay with leg hair, grow it out!

My pits are pretty hairless now after years of using a deordorant made with coconut oil, baking soda and corn starch. Could the baking soda have done that? They used to be hairy.

I'd never, never ever, shave my privates. A nice trim, yes.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I shave my legs whenever I think about it or if i have to go to a public swimming pool like water therapy however, i only shave enough too just seem like i am shaving , not too excessive plus i get low energy to shave all the way. ...

·
Chaotic Vegetarian
173 Posts
I preferred shaving to explaining everyday to ten people why I'm not dirty for not doing so. I didn't always have the energy to deliver feminist speeches and the reason I used not to shave was because I liked it, not because I wanted to make a statement.
We don't have to give an explanation for everything. Most of the times "I like it that way" works just fine and uses less energy than actually shaving (I assume;))

·
person
679 Posts
I shaved my legs for the first time in a long time a couple of months ago because I was having a nerve conduction test done. I don't shave under my arms just trim in summer. I just do a bit of "bikini line" tidying up because I like to (I don't even own a bikini). I always wear jeans and sleeves.

Shaving under arms in some "western" countries didn't really start until around 1915 and legs in the 40s but you can still see unshaven underarms in Italian (for example) movies from the sixties. So it is a reasonably new phenomena except for the ancient Egyptians and some modern Arabs who remove/d all body hair.

Women shaving was just a fashion thing (fashion dictated by men) and now people think it has been done forever and is essential.

It's your body it's up to you.

There is no necessary correlation between being clean and shaving. If there where men would have to do heir arm pits and legs too. We live in a crowded society so we need to be clean and deodorised.

·
Peace
169 Posts
I have a hormone condition called PCOS which causes excess hair growth as well as regularly prescribed prednisone which also causes excess hairgrowth.

Shaving my legs only takes a whole packet of disposable razors...

Luckily I am single so I just trim my lady bits, and otherwise I shave my armpits, mustache (yes.. sigh) and what is visible of abnormal hair growth on my face. But that's all, I am not bothering to shave my legs for anyone unless I absolutely feel like it (sometimes I do).

And my friends call me ''hobbit'' in a loving way for my chubby body and my hairy feet, and I take that name with pride. Proudfoot here! :D

I'm generally OK with who I am, and if my body hair is a dealbreaker for anyone that sucks for them. I can't help these conditions, didn't ask for them.

·
Vegan, Mostly WFPB
276 Posts
It used to gross me out on myself and others, but only because I'd been taught and programmed via marketing and such to view it as being non-hygienic and supposedly a huge turn-off to the male species. Grateful to have a husband who kindly accepts me as I choose to exist.

I always experienced painful razor bumps, ingrown hairs, dry skin, and absolutely hated the prickly feeling of the hairs growing back, often within the same damn day I shaved, so it didn't really serve to make me feel better or cleaner or sexier, I just hoped it made me appear that way. Blackheads in the pits were a frequent issue when I shaved, too. I have to laugh now when I look back at all I unknowingly put myself through for so long. It keeps me from crying.

Once I learned of the toxicity being absorbed into my body's largest organ via all the heavily marketed hygiene products I'd been using in my past life, and learned the overwhelming effects to the environment of disposable, aerosol, and synthetic anything, I backed off of hair removal, getting perms, coloring my hair, using hair spray and other outrageously expensive hair products. I also ditched the depilatory creams that I preferred for the privates. I am now super duper sensitive to any type of artificial fragrance in any setting, even from afar.

I had previously been one who had to have every hair in place, even if that meant removing it, make-up had to be on just right, and would spend nearly 2 hours daily, if not a couple times a day depending on the activities and events happening, to bathe, groom, and primp myself before I felt acceptable enough to venture out. The masks had to be just right for the occasion. (this also stemmed from repeated traumas that occurred in my youth - self-esteem had been squashed at a very early age)

The new, much cleaner from the inside out, albeit much hairier me still stays good and clean and all the hairs that were purposefully meant to grow in all the places for a reason are now in tact. My ingrained need to mask my real self to gain acceptance of any kind no longer exists and my hair is finally free to be just what it is. I learned to embrace my greys as my "wisdom highlights" and trim my own split ends.

So much money, time, and energy saved, so much freedom found, and the self-worth I gain now doesn't have to rely on nearly as many toxic props. Deodorant is no longer necessary, either. I just use my chosen moisturizing oil blend of the day under my arms, too, and sometimes in the summer, I'll use a lime for the citrus scent.

I've found after switching to a mostly whole food/plant-based diet for the last two years, I only smell bad enough to offend myself or others if I choose to ingest food that doesn't jive well with my biology, no matter how hard I work or how much I sweat.

I sure do wish there was a way to get some of that cash back from those few decades of steadily dishing it out, not to mention restoring part of the ozone layer and the rest of the environment I'm responsible for taking out with all that hair spray and disposable plastic stuff. Yikes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hardly shave in winter.My skin always get razor burn . I hate it. Isuper thick leg hair too. I wouldn't shave at all but too scared of what looks I would get.

from nat

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think I stopped shaving my armpits about.. 2ish years ago. At first it was because I somehow gave myself a nasty cut! It was painful to even bend my arm, so shaving until it was healed was the only option. In the time it took for my cut to heal I actually liked they way I looked with the little bits of hair growing, even though it was incredibly ichy! The hair is quite soft surprisingly lol. The next thing I stopped shaving were my legs.

I was a bit nervous, honestly, to even walk through my families home with unshaven legs, my family isn't the nicest with "complements." But anyway, I grew more confidence as my leg hairs grew and grew.

Got a nasty comment from my mother about how "its gross and go shave now!" I told her to F her beauty standards and that I liked the way I naturally looked. Meanwhile my dad just laughed and chimed in with how it probably doesn't bother my partner. Which is the truth, my partner actually encouraged me to stop shaving if it made me feel better about myself. MY mother just stopped talking and went back to whatever she was doing.
Not really a polite way to tell her no, but my message was clear.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
I positively hate leg hair, at least for most people. I'd hated how it looks on most men, and certainly my own. It's sparse, it's dark, it's straight. I also abhor shaving. I shave in summer, quit for the winter, hoping that someday it'll lessen like my armpits did.
I quit shaving my pits first, for the same irritation reason. I use a coconut oil, baking soda/cornstarch paste for deodorant and wonder if the soda may have helped in getting of the hair. I only have a few strands left there. I have tried it on legs to no avail

·
A softball catcher
57 Posts
I have always had my legs, arm pits, bikini area and eyebrows waxed. I never really shaved my bikini area since I'm afraid to take a razor to the area around my lady parts. I have, however have kinda thought about foregoing waxing but I really don't know if there is a benefit to not shaving. I mean, I love wearing bikinis and shorts and don't know if I want hair showing around my bikini area or having hairy legs. Could someone clue me in on the whole not shaving and if there is a benefit to doing so.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts