VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone else has tried this PC game called Unreal Tournament. I'm not much of a gamer... well, not since the video game arcade craze of the 80's (anyone remember such classics as Dragon's Lair featuring Dirk the Daring, or Starcastle, or Gorf, etc)

Anyway... I bought this game, on a recommendation from a friend, called Unreal Tournament - Game of the Year Edition. For anyone who enjoys first person shooter games, and doesn't mind a bit of cartoon violence (it's not real people)... then give this one a try. It's a blast.

Of course, I also like Grand Theft Auto 3, another one I bought.

Caution... I would hardly recommend these for young kids, especially those whose parents think all video games (interactive cartoons) teach violence or corruption of youth.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ooooh, how does that one compare to the Game of the Year edition.. umm, I think that was 2001 or 2002. You'd think I'd know that.

I was/am impressed with the GOTY edition... but geez, now I am curious about UT 2003. Tell me more

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I never played the other one.. sorry. I am not a usual one player shooter game type. I got this game cause some friends from work play, and we set up play dates from time to time.

I heard there is a huge difference graphically, but that is all I can mention.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alpacca... graphics comparisons, game play/action comparisons, etc... is 2003 a better game overall?

You mention you have both, and play both. From that I assume there are a few things you prefer about the earlier version, and some things you like about the 2003 version. What is it about each version that you like?

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I'm not in the mood to do 1000 words so sorry if the answers are short but sweet.

Well . . I think that UT2003 went a little far with the futuristic theme . . Like the sniper rifle is not a ballistics weapon, it same kind of lighting Gun. (can't aim it of crap, even when camping)

But its every bit as fast paced as the first, if not faster. the Graphics are better, but I think there a little more bulky.

UT2003 has bigger maps and better AI, but I find the first to be a bit more believable and realistic.

UT2003 has THE BEST graphics of dead bodies that I have seen. (that sound nice, now doesnt it?) there is little to no graphics clipping (errr, graphics going thought one another) for example: (I can't believe I'm doing this on a Veg board! heheh) If you kill someone on a slope then the body will start to slowly roll down hill (if the weapon you used doesnt blow them half way across the map, like the redeemer would. (my fav. weapon is the flak cannon, but they all have their use)) the whole body rotating with arms and limps acting separate from the torso.

But one the other hand, the first gave me better gameplay. Keep in mind I know nothing about writing reviews, so youre be better off trying them both before making a judgment.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, actually... that was very informative Alpacca... thanks. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the store sometime in the near future to pick that one up.

A friend of mine told me Wolfenstein 3D is a great game... and tells me it rivals the action and graphics of UT. I just never have a lot of free time to play the things. For now, I'll pick up the UT2003 and give that a whirl.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Some thoughts on W3D . . . it's nice, but short, And once you finish it once, you fly passed it every other time you want to play. so not much on replayability.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
we have 2002 on our computer. my bro has a server and we can play on his with everyone at his office and well as matches his employee's set up.. i saw the 2003 version and i personally did not see much difference. i perfer 2002.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I play UT2K3, but not lately. I think I'm going to install it on my laptop when I get it connected to the Net (which will be, like... August). I used to be a rabid gamer. My vice was Everquest. Holy crap, I still ache when I think about it. My parents made me sell my copy because my grades dropped and I became anti-social. ^_^;;;

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.