VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been trying my hand at vegan jelly but having no success. I've got both agar powder and agar flakes which I've tried but I can't seem to get the quantities right. Does anyone have any tips on how much agar I should use per cup of cordial/juice? Also was wondering if the cordial/juice should be hot to mix the agar with because normally you make non-vegan jelly with boiling hot water?

Any help would be appreciated, I know you can buy packet vegan jelly online but I'd prefer to make my own. Vegan Jelly is my last hurdle to perfecting my vegan trifle

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
My mom used to make jelly/jam often. From what I can remember, the jars and lids were boiled(sterilized) first. Then the fruit/sugar/pectin was boiled, poured into the hot jars, and the jars were placed in boiling water to seal the lids. I thought pectin was safe for vegans? Never having used agar in the jelly making process, I don't know what the procedure would be when using it for making jelly. Let's see what google has to say....

Edit: It would appear that the agar has to be soaked in the liquid/juice for 10-15 minutes, then brought to a boil. As far as amounts, this is a sample recipe I found at livestrong.com

3 tbsp. agar flakes
1 cup unsweetened fruit juice, any flavor
2 cups raspberries, currants, strawberries or cherries, sliced or slightly mashed
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice

Good luck!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys, ha silly me. I just realised that most people on here are from the states so when I say jelly I think I mean what you would call jello? As in made with gelatine. I don't mean jam, as in to have on toast

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QiTian View Post

Hi guys, ha silly me. I just realised that most people on here are from the states so when I say jelly I think I mean what you would call jello? As in made with gelatine. I don't mean jam, as in to have on toast
Ok, that's probably why I had a hard time finding a recipe...I had to use the word jam instead of jelly, because all of the jelly recipes with agar agar were for jello!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
@QT, you can get veg gelatin, both flavored and plain at Holland and Barrett. I found it works easier than agar flakes. Agar powder hasn't worked for me at all to make something gelatin like, but it does thicken up soups, etc.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The agar powder I have says 3kg of liquid to the 25gram sachet, but you need to bring the liquid to a gentle boil with the agar and stir til fully dissolved. It then says it will set in about 45 mins without refrigeration.

I have never tried making jelly with it before, but I make a soy milk jelly thing ( similar to silken tofu, which I can't buy here ) I use it for dip bases.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Misty - that is really helpful. Where do you buy your agar agar powder from? I haven't seen it in sachets and it sounds like it would be easier than measuring out quantities.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Any asian grocery store should have them. It's a little white packet with blue and red writing, about $2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts