VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're having to go back to Louisiana in a few weeks and I'm trying to see what we can eat. Money will be tight and so it will be lots of peanut butter. I'm trying to see if there are any vegan gluten free crackers out there? The last time we were there was 2006 and I was still tolerating wheat. But all i remembered in the form of GF was these tasteless rice cakes.

We'll have access to whole foods in Baton Rouge once but after that it will probably be shopping at Krogers and Walmart and Brookshires as we move towns.

All the GF crackers I find on line seem to have egg. I have asked my mum to look in shops but she said they don't seem to have a dedicated "free from" section like we have here in the UK (also she's a bit dopey--so they could and she just hasn't found it)

Any suggestions? I am mainly worried about lunches as dinners will be beans and rice.

thanks

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks--I'm a bit worried--the last time we were there there was so little vegetarian let alone vegan in shops. I just recall struggling to find cans of beans that didn't have chicken fat or pork fat in them. My mum says it has moved on and there is "loads more" but she's an omni who doesn't read labels so i'm not usre I trust it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Krogers has become a lot more veg friendly over the years. Most stores seem to have really expanded (or created) their health food sections with lots of new products. Whole Foods shouldn't be a problem at all and even Walmart has a pretty decent selection of options.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks--I am much more reassured. Yeah--the whole foods should be ok--wasn't sure about the rest. the last time we were there I got a jacket potato at a restaurant and it turned out the peel was rubbed in bacon grease. *sob*

Not looking forward to this trip. But the hope that food may not be such an issue is encouraging--now if we could only work on family.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.