VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any proven vegan pastas? I know you can buy some online, but I'm looking for the cheap variety available at common grocery store chains (i.e. Ralphs, Alberstons, Vons, Trader Joe's)?

None of the vegans I know eat pasta. I've read the ingredient list and a lot of the pastas don't seem to contain any animal ingredients, but I'm wary of them because I don't see any vegans eating pasta ever. I miss Italian food and would love know if there are any proven vegan pastas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Most supermarket brand pastas don't have animal products. Many contain only semolina or duram wheat (I might have spelled the last one wrong). The only ones you should watch out for are the packaged "fresh" pasta in the refrigerated section, which are usually made with eggs.

I'm a vegan, and I eat pasta all the time. Have at 'er!

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Most dried pastas don't contain animal ingredients. Maybe your vegan friends just don't like pasta?

·
Registered
167 Posts
it could be that your vegan friends are health conscious, or are watching their carbohydrate intake, which would explain the pasta deal. however, there are so many vegan pastas, as most are, except for some enriched pastas like the barilla kind in a yellow box. the only thing to watch for is likely egg.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Most dry pasta is vegan. Just check the labels.

Egg is often used in the packaged fresh pasta, and in some restaurant pastas. It may be the fact that pasta at restaurants are unreliably vegan that caused your friends to avoid pasta altogether.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

Most supermarket brand pastas don't have animal products. Many contain only semolina or duram wheat (I might have spelled the last one wrong). The only ones you should watch out for are the packaged "fresh" pasta in the refrigerated section, which are usually made with eggs.

I'm a vegan, and I eat pasta all the time. Have at 'er!
Yarr i live off pasta!

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Medesha is right, most fresh pasta's (the ones that go in the fridge) are made with egg. I don't think I've ever seen a dried pasta that wasn't vegan. I get my pasta from Trader Joe's because it's very inexpensive and delicious! Angel hair is my fav... I have enough in my pantry to feed everyone here on the VB's for weeks!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I have seen plenty of dried, packaged pasta that contained eggs (and not just egg noodles), but don't let that scare you away from eating pasta.

I've found that it's usually the fancier gourmet brands that may contain eggs. Just check the label.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts