VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any healthy type of weight loss supplements that actually work? I can't exercise now due to my accident injuries and want to take off some weight. I know cutting calories is the key but I have a hard time controlling my appetite or rather it seems to control me...lol.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
We're in the same boat.

My metabolism came to a screeching halt when I turned 30 and had my little boy. I don't overeat, but I really have a hard time cutting back as much as it would take for me to lose weight.

I can't help, but I hope other people have some good advice.....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in the same boat. My metabolism has been dieing a slow death since my hysterectomy in 2001. Add quiting smoking to that almost 4 months ago and, well you can probably finish the story....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the empathy at least, it helps. I've heard there are some new herbs out for weight loss. Can't recall what they are called but it seems to me the word "orange" was in it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried Metabolife, TrimSpa, that awful liquid stuff you drink at night 3 hours before you go to be, etc, etc. None of them worked. I think I remember Cher saying years ago "If it came in a bottle we'd all look good"....ain't that the truth!

The only thing that helped me years ago was chromium picolinate (sp?) but I was working out and lifting weights. It helped burn the fat while I was building the muscle (or so it appeared that it helped). Unless you are working out, though I doubt that it would do much good.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
you need a certain amount of calories, you also need a certain amount of carbs. most diets and diet supplements are really dangerous.

there are websites where you can look up the nutrition info of every food you can think of and calculate how much calories, protein, etc you should be getting depending on your size and age.

if i come across it again i'll post it but i think i originally found it just by doing a search.

anyway i'd suggest just eating less cooked foods, drinking water instead of caffeinated or sugary drinks, and try to be as active as you can. if you can't excercise just try to move around whenever possible or just flex and release muscles repeatedly throughout the day

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good advice LF. I read somewhere too that if you suck your belly in as much as you can and hold it for like a count of 10 and then release your muscles actually get excercised similarly to doing crunches. Flexing the muscle is good. You know, there's also negative calorie food. Like an apple is 200 calories, yet your body burn 300 processing it.

I go to www.fitday.com everyday and use the journal, log what I eat, track my excercise, see that I'm getting enough nutrients, etc. You may find the site usefull. Plus, the best part, it's free.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really shouldn't be posting because more important things I should be doing now.

MsRuthieB: The 200 calories per apple and the 300 calories for digestion was just an example I gave you. I'm not quite sure what the total negative calories per apple is. Though, an apple without skin is about 73 calories (about 3 per pound/128G). http://www.nutri-facts.com/fdlabel.a...04&msrid=61239

List of negative calorie food: http://www.webterrace.com/negative/negative.htm

Do a search on Google for "negative calorie foods" and you'll find more. One site I visited sold a cook book with a complete list of how many calories you'll burn with each negative food.

Birdlady: I'm currently looking at Stackers, Xenadrine, and Anorex (the anorex is very expensive though about $85 for 90 tablets so I'm not sure I would even try them due to the cost). If there o.k. and I try them I'll tell you if there any good. Although, I don't know if they would be consider "healthy."

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Ewww, I don't like the name Anorex for that supplement....

an irresponsible name, in my opinion.

I'm scared of supplements that contain ephedra.

I had a bad reaction to ephedra once (my blood pressure shot through the roof and my heartbeat became erratic.)

I'm not so overweight (yet) that the risks of ingesting sketchy substances would be worth it.....I am trying to be more conscious of what I eat and make sure I'm eating out of hunger and not just my love of food. I used to be able to eat anything and as much as I want and still stayed skinny as a pole. This new body chemistry of mine is NOT making me happy at all.

I do yoga, but that isn't exactly a calorie burning excersise.

My body reacts very positively to exercise, I just have a really hard time disciplining myself to do it......I'm a very busy person and just never seem to make time for hitting the gym.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies on this topic. I have a good nutrition book I can look up things. I eat too much out of a bad habit I think. Plus I think my metabolism is slower and I don't get enough exercise. I think I can do more walking now because my knee isn't hurting as much any more. I went walking the other day looking for a car and my knee survived.

I need to suck in my stomach like that, too! Lot of really good tips here, I will keep them in mind.

I've tried metabolite and it made me too nervous but I still have a huge jar of it. Funny thing is I eat more at night time for some odd reason. By then the metabolite has worn off. I don't really care for it, though. I tried Meridia and it worked for awhile then stopped working. It's so expensive, too. I don't want to take any prescription stuff any more. I will probably be going into physical therapy in the next few weeks. That's some exercise. Anorex does sound sort of bizarre, doesn't it? I look forward to seeing if any of those things work, though, and the side effects if any.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I have had success losing weight without doing exercise. I ate low-calorie food, in moderate amounts, for a year or so, and lost about 75 pounds. Lost too much. I gained back 45 pounds, and stayed there ever since.

I ate lots of romaine lettuce, along with raw nuts or lightly cooked nuts, lots and lots of fruit -- no restrictions on raw fruit or raw leafy greens. And a few cooked starches and legumes now and then. I believe there are drugs that can help, cocaine and super-charged ephedrine (amphetamines), but any drugs that really help, also have dangerous side effects, and should be very carefully managed by a doctor. However most doctors are unwilling to give their overweight patients these only drugs. Too much risk for the doctor, of being sued. However even these drugs don't "cause" weight loss, they simply make it a little easier, if you are comitted. I think the rest of the drugs are useless. I also think all diet "supplements" or potions are useless. There is no substitute for a balanced diet, in small amounts. Exercise may help, but is not necessary.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the foods you mentioned are good ones, Soilman, and I'm going to cut down on fatty foods. Going to get some veggie slices instead of cheese. That ought to cut out a lot of calories. V8 is a good thing to drink, too, I think. It fills you up and is low calorie. I've been eating too many pastries, too, and that's going to stop. I bought some organic breakfast bars that are much better nutritionally for me. I have quite a bit of weight to take off. I've done it before so I should be able to do it again...I hope.

I read that once you've gained and lost weight your body produces more of a certain hormone that begins with a "g." Can't recall the name but it's supposed to make us eat more and more often. Some people get that gastric bypass but that seems dangerous and 1 out of 200 die from it. So, I will try the regular way.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
" I have quite a bit of weight to take off. I've done it before so I should be able to do it again...I hope. "

You must make a permanent change in your diet, rather than go on a temporary weight-loss diet, if you want to take the weight off, and keep it off. It is easier to make one change, to one permanent diet, than to make 2 changes, one to a weight-loss diet, and one to a permanent diet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I believe a healthy diet constisting of whole foods (whole grains, legumes, nuts, vegetables and fruits), coupled with portion control, is the secret to weight loss, and life long weight control.

Stay away from overly processed foods containing white sugar, white flours, and white rice. These will cause weight gain faster than a high fat diet.

I believe daily exercise is also key in getting, and staying, a health weight. It doesn't take much, something like a brisk walk, working with light weights, and streching, go a long way. It's so much easier to lose weight when you compliment exercise with your "diet", or lifestyle, changes.

I was a somewhat overweight teenager (maybe 25 pounds), The weight fell off when I changed my dietary habits, and started exercising. I'll be 36 this spring, and I'm 5'6", 116 pounds. I've effortlessly maintained this weight for almost 20 years. My twin sister who has really poor eating habits, is about 20 pounds overweight. She eats less then I do, but she eats mostly overly processed foods. Refusing to eat in the morning, she eats mostly between the hours between 3pm and 11pm.

When you eat foods nutritionally devoid of the nutrients your body craves, you put your body into starvation mode. Your metabolism slows down, and your body collects fat. Give your body the nutrients it needs to thrive, and it releases it panic, and you come into balance.

Simple sugars also cause your body to panic because they enter your blood stream too quickly, causing major fluctations in your hormones.

I'm presently producing a documentary comparing healthy lifestyle changes, with commercial diet gimmicks. After interviewing hundred of people, and following about 50 dieters, I can safely conclude DIETS DON'T WORK.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Baby writes:

=============

After interviewing hundred of people, and following about 50 dieters, I can safely conclude DIETS DON'T WORK.

=============

However what she describes here

===========================

...whole foods (whole grains, legumes, nuts, vegetables and fruits), coupled with portion control, is the secret to weight loss, and life long weight control.

=======================

-- is a diet. Nothing more and nothing less.

Diets work. What doesn't work, as I mentioned above, are temporary diets. Permanent diets work.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I stand corrected. Thank you Soilman. What I meant to say is temporary diets don't work, permanent diet and lifestyle changes do. To believe that temporary changes will give longterm results defies logic.

Changing habits, by making better choices, can be difficult in the beginning. It requires presense of mind and commitment. As time passes, and these changes are intergrated into your daily life, they become a natural extention of yourself. This means, it becomes a lot easier to choose to treat your body well.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Baby writes:

=============

permanent diet and lifestyle changes [work]

===============

I would venture to say that diet is such a large and important part of life, or "lifestyle," that the phrase "permanent diet and lifestyle change" may be a redundant phrase! that is, a permanent change in diet is such a large change that, all by itself, it is a permanent change in "lifestyle."

Further, I don't think there is anyone that could achieve weight loss simply by doing more exercise. While such a person is logically conceivable, I would venture to say that just about everyone who wants to lose weight, would need to make changes in their diet, in order to be successful. Exercise may help; but I have my doubts that there is anyone in existence who would be able to lose weight, simply by doing more exercise, and sticking with the same diet. Logic says it would be possible: eat the same food; burn more calories. But my gut feeling is that no-one has ever achieved weight loss this way.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdlady

Plus I think my metabolism is slower and I don't get enough exercise.
I was reading that when you lower your food intake you metabolism lowers/adjusts. When I hit a spot where I'm not losing I change my caloric intake daily. I'm not sure if this is healthy for you though. I would ask a doctor, but mine knows my mom and I like to keep my mom in the blue on everything possible (for her own good, of course).

Quote:
I've tried metabolite and it made me too nervous
It maybe the Ephedrine. It's a stronger stimulant than caffeine and is used for reduction in appetite and stimulation of the nervous system. Many other diet pills contain Ephedrine (Hydroxycut, Ripped Fuel, Diet Fuel, Xenadrine, etc.) Off hand, I want to say that Metabolite contains about 14mg of Ephedrine, where some others such as Xenadrine contain 40mg. Thus, if it is the ephedrine, I check how much are in other products you may try.

The ECA (Ephedrine, Caffeine, and Aspirin) stack is most common type of diet pill.

Synephrine may be an option. It's a derivative of ephedra, but not as strong.

Quote:
I look forward to seeing if any of those things work, though, and the side effects if any.
Unfortunately, most of the diet pills I'm interested in (one that contains Ephedrine) contain gelatin capsules. Now I'm looking into just buying Ephedrine by itself and/or getting Guggulsterones (stimulates the thyroid gland, causing your metabolism to increase). If I go that route, I'll tell you if that worked.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just bought some apple cider vinegar supplements today. They don't contain anything that would make them non-vegan (unless I'm missing something). Supposed to take one after each meal to boost metabolism and assist in expelling/burning fat instead of storing it. I'll let you know how it works. I've gotta do something to jump start my metabolism. Since I quit smoking, it seems like my metabolism is sleeping (even though I've been really careful with what I eat and excercising).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts