VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have eliminated wheat from my diet to ease some tummy issues and so was doing all my baking with spelt which i tolerate well but wanted to do some experimenting with gluten free. I have invented a gluten free pizza crust/flatbread that i really like but am having less success with bread or cake. I really don't like rice flour as it seems kinda chalky and rice-y. I can't seem to find sorghum here in the Uk as there are no asian markets nearby to where we live.

I'd like to hear from anyone gluten free and vegan and see what they do.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
You can try mixing various combinations of rice flour and chickpea flour, also potato flour is a good one too. Trial and error. Polenta is a good thing to make too. I once made cookies with 50/50 rice and chickpea flour, they tasted really good though they smelt like beans while they were cooking, they tasted fine.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah my pizza crust flatbread is made from buckwheat, chicpea, tapioca,oat flours plus some cornflour (starch) and it was really good. maybe i need to just stick wioth cookies rather than cake if they bake up easier!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
well, I was going to suggest the www.glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com site, until I read you were raw too....there still might be some recipes that could help you along on that site.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not raw (but do eat lots of raw--desserts are good but without a dehydrator I haven't attempted anything bready) so that blog may help me! thanks!

·
Registered
16,189 Posts
I've been gluten free for a while now. I've catered to clients who live this way, but it's pretty new for me to be totally gluten free (except for the times when I was 100% raw). I hope people will share their best recipes!

·
Registered
29,962 Posts
Could you do something with potato flour? There's also cornbread, but that's not really what you're going for, I suspect.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am perfecting my black bean gluten free brownies this weekend (need to tweak one bit--want to sub quinoa flour for the oat flour --actually just want to eat more brownies) then I will post the recipe Ahimsa.

We don't eat much bread to be honest. But sometimes we like ciabatta bread. I can still tolerate spelt so can bake our ciabatta with spelt if need be. Will try a GF cake soon.

I read online somewhere that 2 parts grain flour to 1 part starch works as a sub for regular flour. Plus either a bit of xanthum gum or flax meal. My pizza/flatbread used both. Link to my blog with the recipe. Scroll down if you don't want to read all my waffle. recipe more towards the bottom.
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot...at-delete.html

·
Registered
16,189 Posts
Thanks, Spidergrrl!

I made banana nut bread with buckwheat and brown rice flour and rice bran last might, and it turned out pretty good!

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Can anyone recommend any gluten free vegan cookbooks? Any that you're partial too? Thanks, and thanks to the OP for starting this topic.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To be honest--I have just googled what I want--like gluten free vegan (insert name of item I want to make) and have come up with LOADS of stuff and recipes and blogs to follow.

I made the flatbread today and it seems a wee bit browner than it was last time like maybe I needed to reduce oven temp. i made it for tonight for our end of school year work party as we're going to Bar Meze and I can get the hummus if I bring my own bread. I am sure it will taste fine, but i was playing my new ukulele and I didn't watch the oven like I should have.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Today was the last day of school and a child gave me a bag of teff flour as a gift! *sob* I was so touched. he is gluten free and his mum and i have been trading recipes and I mentioned in our last email i couldn't find teff and was going to have to try London. How sweet!

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

Today was the last day of school and a child gave me a bag of teff flour as a gift! *sob* I was so touched. he is gluten free and his mum and i have been trading recipes and I mentioned in our last email i couldn't find teff and was going to have to try London. How sweet!
Happy last day of school, and what a wonderful gift.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.