VeggieBoards banner

Any gardening/permaculture lovers in Portugal Spain or UK that wanna chat?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Zephyr123 
#1 ·
Hey Vegetable Lovers

I'm based in Portugal, near the beach on the atlantic. It's been raining for three months non stop and I dug a hole the other day and the ground water was nearly at the earth surface! I hope this means the water holds longer throughout the Spring and Summer months because we're totally off grid - bit of an experiment patch of land. We shall see - that's what I love about this land project of mine right now.

I made a greenhouse out of an old kiddy swing set that was left behind... it's great, buys me some time during this wet and well, I just love spending time in there with all my sprouting seeds.

This week the sun has come out, so I've made two deep beds hoping this avoids the problem of water logging in case the rain persists... another experiment.

Anyway, just a note to see if I have any neighbours around also doing the grow your own thing...

Miriam

Love your planet

The Organic Guru

"Apprentice of everything, master of some"

See less See more
#2 ·
My ambition is to get a place that is off grid and self-sufficient :)

Myself and my best mate plan to buy a smallholding at some point in the future. I'm often checking out the properties in Portugal as they are affordable and the country is lovely. If we had a 'jealous' smiley I'd post it 5,000 times!

I used to have the most incredible property bookmarked but had to delete it in the end as it would just depress me to see all that beauty and not be able to 'go for it'. It was off grid with amazing views, had streams, waterfalls and a magical little forest *sigh*

I would probably turn into a hermit and never leave the place
:yes:

#4 ·
You've found a pearler there. It will be a nice location too, I haven't been to that exact area but it's not too far from a friend in Pombal or me in Figueira da Foz for that matter. The further away from the coast the less populated it gets and you get more access to natural resources, such as this person has.

When we arrived in Portugal there was no plan, apart from I wanted to learn about permaculture. Then my husband and I decided that instead of buying land we will manifest someone to give us some land. Manifestation is a big part of our project/life which I wont bore you with but if you do happen to be interested you can check out my blog The Organic Guru. Anyway, my dad had some land there because that's where he's from and now I'm sitting on it, I never asked him to give it to me and well I have 4 other siblings so it was unexpected. Don't be more jealous... your sugar (derived from non monoculture organic macrobiotic sugar cane) man is out there.

Keep dreaming, dreams do come true, just be sure to make them as vivid and detailed as possible.

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.