VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me what you like, it can be composers or single music pieces or both if you like.

I like Richard Wagner, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, Beethoven, Franz Liszt, Alexander Nevsky, Yoko Shimomura, Barbados Steel Orchestra and many more.

· Impeach the gangster
9,622 Posts
You might check out this thread too.

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i do. i like mostly single instrument stuff. beethoven's piano music, like the moonshine sonata. also, i adore bach's chello suite no1. i heard it in a movie once and loved it ever since
I have never listened to bach's chello suite no1, i will get a copy of it. I think the moonshine sonata good but not as good as Bethoven-Fur Elise(piano), but i think the best single piano instrument piece is Hungarian Rhapsody No.2 by Franz List.

but my favorite Classical piece would have to be: Wilhelm Richard Wagner - Requiem.

· Not such a Beginner ;)
8,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i do. i like mostly single instrument stuff. beethoven's piano music, like the moonshine sonata. also, i adore bach's chello suite no1. i heard it in a movie once and loved it ever since
I played the cello when I we young, and I think it is the most beautiful instrument.

· Registered
1,315 Posts
I'm totally in love with classical music, and Opera.

· Registered
5,782 Posts
I guess I am in this category, although I am more of a "liker" than a lover.

I've always listened to a variety of kinds of music, including classical, but excluding rap and Chinese opera.

Nashville is having a free, marathon Bach concert coming up on March 23rd. I am looking forward to attending it.
(They call it the BACH-analia.)

At any rate, I have been collecting Bach music.

I am pleased to find that there is a lot of classical music available free (and legal) on the internet.

For example, I was looking for Bach's Well Tempered Clavier. You can find Book I and most of Book II available here:

http://pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=101

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I guess I am in this category, although I am more of a "liker" than a lover.

I've always listened to a variety of kinds of music, including classical, but excluding rap and Chinese opera.

Nashville is having a free, marathon Bach concert coming up on March 23rd. I am looking forward to attending it.
(They call it the BACH-analia.)

At any rate, I have been collecting Bach music.

I am pleased to find that there is a lot of classical music available free (and legal) on the internet.

For example, I was looking for Bach's Well Tempered Clavier. You can find Book I and most of Book II available here:

http://pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=101
I download ALL my music for free off the net at 4shared music.com:http://search.4shared.com/q/CAQD/1/music
its completely legal and free.

· Registered
72 Posts
Tell me what you like, it can be composers or single music pieces or both if you like.

I like Richard Wagner, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, Beethoven, Franz Liszt, Alexander Nevsky, Yoko Shimomura, Barbados Steel Orchestra and many more.
Yes. My mother was a coloratura. Her piano teacher was in the line from Beethoven...

Beethoven taught Liszt. Liszt taught Czerny. Czerny taught Leschetizky. Leschetizky taught Clara Husserl. Clara Husserl taught my mother. She also taught her daughter, who was a well known concert pianist. She also taught Liberace.

And she taught Seymour Bernstein, who was a well known concert pianist and went on to become a master teacher of other concert pianists.

In 2014, Ethan Hawke made a documentary about him called "Seymour: An Introduction."

He is quite a gentle and beautiful human being. And if you love classical music, the film is worth a view.

· Registered
5,874 Posts
My general favorites tend to be classical music- from the Renaissance (which I don't know much about, but I consistently like what I've heard) through the Baroque (e.g., Bach and Scarlatti), Classical (e.g., Beethoven & Mozart), Romantic (especially Brahms and Tchaikowski), and Impressionist (e.g., Debussy and Ravel). I'm not sure what period the American composer Randall Thompson would be put in, but his Second Symphony is a favorite.

I can see how people get into Opera, with the singing, orchestra, drama, scenery and all that. My Mom was into opera since she was a teen, and I've seen maybe 6 operas with her and enjoyed them to an extent. (She saw about 25-30 down in NY City, I suppose- and that's not counting the weekend broadcasts from the Metropolitan Opera company she listened to at home). I also saw one production some friends of mine were in (mostly as stage extras, but one of them got to sing one short line solo). But I wouldn't care if I never heard another note of opera again.

· Registered
72 Posts
My general favorites tend to be classical music- from the Renaissance (which I don't know much about, but I consistently like what I've heard) through the Baroque (e.g., Bach and Scarlatti), Classical (e.g., Beethoven & Mozart), Romantic (especially Brahms and Tchaikowski), and Impressionist (e.g., Debussy and Ravel). I'm not sure what period the American composer Randall Thompson would be put in, but his Second Symphony is a favorite.

I can see how people get into Opera, with the singing, orchestra, drama, scenery and all that. My Mom was into opera since she was a teen, and I've seen maybe 6 operas with her and enjoyed them to an extent. (She saw about 25-30 down in NY City, I suppose- and that's not counting the weekend broadcasts from the Metropolitan Opera company she listened to at home). I also saw one production some friends of mine were in (mostly as stage extras, but one of them got to sing one short line solo). But I wouldn't care if I never heard another note of opera again.
Opera takes time. It really is its own language. If you want to try, I would suggest just taking one opera, well known, from a major composer...and just play it in the background on low volume....a bit each day...for awhile.

Over time, it usually gets to you.

I really haven't listened to opera since I was a kid, when my mother was practicing. And even though that was in the house, I was just starting to appreciate some of the subtleties, when life threw me some curves and I found myself not listening to much anymore.

It's an acquired taste, definitely.

This is quite nice..

Maria Callas ---O Mio Babbino Caro Giacomo, Puccini

· Registered
5,874 Posts
@JonTR22 As opera goes, I would say that Puccini's works are among the easiest to listen to. If I remember right, "La Boheme" was very enjoyable. It was sad, but as Bugs Bunny once said (in the short, "What's Opera, Doc?"): "Whaddya want from an opera?... A happy ending?"

Two of the other operas I saw- "Tales Of Hoffmann" by Jacques Offenbach and "Adriana Lecouvreur" by Cilea- wouldn't be hard to listen to, either. But I'd rather listen to the string quartet by Maurice Ravel or Borodin, ragtime by Scott Joplin, "Kashmir" or "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" by Led Zeppelin, "Pet Sounds" by The Beach Boys, or "The White Album" by The Beatles.

· Registered
72 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts