VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading about Buddhism and Taoism for a couple of years and just recently I decided to become a Buddhist and officially start calling myself one. Tonight I ordered a copy of The Diamond Sutra, The Lotus Sutra, and The Heart Sutra.

Anyone else a Buddhist here? What kind are you? How often do you meditate? What kind of meditating do you do?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
i once met the buddha on the road... and killed him.

haven't really meditated since that class in college.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Doktor, that's great you made that decision.
I am not a Buddhist, I study it though; my daughter is really interested. She just gave me the Tibetan Book of the Dead to read. Whoa.

I've meditated daily for many years. I'll be interested in following this thread.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Anyone else a Buddhist here? What kind are you? How often do you meditate? What kind of meditating do you do?
Thanks
Solitary buddhist here.

Mostly influenced by the teachings of Thich Naht Hanh (Zen), Shabkar (Tibetan) and Bikkhu Nanamoli (not sure which school).

There is a belief.net test thingy you can take. It rates my personal view as being somewhere around 98% compatible with Mahayana buddhism.

I don't meditate in any conventional sense. I do spend much time in very deep contemplation though.

Just in case it raises a smile .. One of my favourite lines from the dhammapada ('The Fool' chapter) is this; "The fool who knows he is a fool is a wiser man for that".

My screen name, and some of my old signature lines ("stupidity as an art form" for instance) are meant to keep me mindfull of that.

Anyways, do you think it is worth having a 'buddhism' section in the forum?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice. Honestly, I think Mahayana is really cool and all but I don't really believe in any supernatural things and a lot of Mahayana is like that (various Bodhisattvas and stuff). I'd probably fall more under the Theravadin or Zen category but let me take a look.

Ok, I just took it:
Your Top 3 Faith Match Profiles Are:
\t \t \t\t \t\t\t 1. Theravada Buddhism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (96%)
3. Secular Humanism (88%)

I should point out that I do not believe in reincarnation.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, a little off topic but I created a group on Facebook for interfaith dialogue and discussions. Basically anyone can join who is interested in religions and learning about them and sharing your beliefs...etc. You don't even have to practice a religion. I'm looking to gain some more members, not just my friends. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212783462146850/

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I used to be Buddhist, and it still influences me quite a bit. It certainly has a lot to offer.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What did you convert from?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vepurusg View Post

What did you convert from?
Atheist/Non-religious. I'm still an Atheist though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Oh, "convert" made me think you left something else. Maybe connotation?

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
hey there,

hope your having a hippie day

I wouldnt call myself Buddhist....but I did study Buddhism for years and I meditate daily and have for many many years...it helps bring me inner peace in a positive and spiritual way.

Peace & LOve

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

hey there,

hope your having a hippie day

I wouldnt call myself Buddhist....but I did study Buddhism for years and I meditate daily and have for many many years...it helps bring me inner peace in a positive and spiritual way.

Peace & LOve
That is nice. I'm new to meditating. I've been using some guided ones on youtube, and they're nice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello Doctormartini,

I am a buddhist as well though I consider my self non-traditional. You mentioned guided meditation videos on youtube and I was wondering. Have you been to the library section of buddhanet.net and places like that online? They usually have a major motherload of info that would be of value to you.

At any rate, Namaste.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingfire512 View Post

Hello Doctormartini,

I am a buddhist as well though I consider my self non-traditional. You mentioned guided meditation videos on youtube and I was wondering. Have you been to the library section of buddhanet.net and places like that online? They usually have a major motherload of info that would be of value to you.

At any rate, Namaste.
I've been to that site once briefly but I'll look at it more in depth tonight. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
We practice mindfulness and meditate every week at group therapy. Studied Buddhism for a short while and would like to get back into it. Although, I'd also remain an atheist. Thanks for the references and links!

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
I'm a western theravadin.
Its a lot like thai forest buddhism but I'm not convinced of past lives and I dont pay monks chocolate bars to chase ghosts out of my house. ;-)
A interesting theravadin resource is the recorded talks and guided meditations on the aussie Dhammaloka site. Ajahn Brahm is the abbot and an incurable joker, Ajahn Brahmali is pretty helpful too, Ajahn Vayama is the nun that runs the nuns monestary, shes real down to earth and direct.
Another good source for buddhism talks is Audiodharma, its headed by Gil Fronsdal- a hippie extensively trained in zen and vipassana meditation. His voice just exudes love, lol. That site covers multiple styles/schools of buddhist thought and is very extensive in its collection of talks and stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.