VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally moved into a place with a small inclosed patio type thing. Yipee! Now I am looking to plant my first garden. I have already planted some flowers (already bloomed, or whatever you call it) in some pots and have planted some flower seeds in other pots. I am waiting to see what works best.

I also want to plant some herbs, possibly some veggies. I would prefer to plant everything in pots as the soil doesn't look too great for growing things. What type of veggies work best in pots? Also, we have a huge ant problem at my place. If I plant veggies, will they be over taken? Should I just stick to the flowers? Or will the flowers have a problem because of the ants too? I don't know anything about gardening so I would appreciate any help!

· Registered
3,460 Posts
The problem with ants is aphids. If you have a lot of ants you will need to look at ways to keep them away from the veggies, as they will bring aphids which are bloody annoying pests.

As for container veggies, sure can, just make sure you give them heaps to eat (good compost, mulch etc) and the container is big enough for the plant. I found with container gardening my fruits/veggies were a lot smaller than what you get in the shops, which I put down to not enough nutrients due to the small space... and I didn't feed them. Lettuce work well, I can see spinach and bok choi working well, carrots (apparently, never tried), some tomato varieties, there'd be heaps more too...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.