VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was prescribed Omnicef for strep throat almost 2 weeks ago. I didn't think much of. I took it for 7 days, but finally stopped (early) because it was giving me severe intestinal pain and ended up with another kind of infection (females know what I'm talking about). Plus, I wasn't getting any better, I was getting much worse. Shortly after stopping my meds, I started to feel better (still not 100% back, but getting there).

Yesterday, it just clicked "I bet the antibiotic had gelatin in it." I checked and it did. I never would have thought about it. I don't think it was related to my troubles with it.

If I'm prescribed an antibiotic again, I'm going to ask for something that isn't a capsule.

I posted this because I don't think many people would think their medication isn't vegetarian. Giving everyone the heads up.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I had to take some antibiotics late last year for a sinus infection that wasn't clearing up after a couple of weeks. When I went to the pharmacy, I asked if I could have it in liquid form (which is often veg*n), but they said no. Argh.

If a UTI was your other problem, I've just been through that as well (it's been a rough year). I'd never had one before, and had just taken antibiotics for the sinus infection. I asked at the HFS and they recommended Uva Ursi, which worked well. Cranberry is supposed to help prevent UTI's, but the UU works better to actually help clear up one.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I had to take some antibiotics late last year for a sinus infection that wasn't clearing up after a couple of weeks. When I went to the pharmacy, I asked if I could have it in liquid form (which is often veg*n), but they said no. Argh.

If a UTI was your other problem, I've just been through that as well (it's been a rough year). I'd never had one before, and had just taken antibiotics for the sinus infection. I asked at the HFS and they recommended Uva Ursi, which worked well. Cranberry is supposed to help prevent UTI's, but the UU works better to actually help clear up one.
Damn pharmacy people! They just don't understand. I wonder if you said it was for religious reasons if they would have done it. I would love the liquid amoxicillin, the one I was given as a kid. I used to love getting sick so I could take the "bubble gum medicine."

Actually, the antibiotic caused a yeast infection. I've been told it's common. Last time I was put on antibiotics, my doctor prescribed that one pill that you take to treat a yeast infection. Sure enough, I ended up needing to use it. In my family (among the girls), those pills are one of the most valuable things
With them, you don't have to use any of those messy over the counter treatments. I just found this online: "Sometimes girls get yeast infections after they've taken antibiotics for something like strep throat - the antibiotics kill off the good bacteria that keep the candida from growing, leading to infection." Dang that strep throat antibiotic. I'm never taking it again!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Heh. I've heard that too, about antibiotics. I've had some really (bloody throat, crying in the dark) bad strep throat though, so the antibiotics are the lesser of two evils to me.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Actually, the antibiotic caused a yeast infection.

That's common and I think omnis also have their share, but I think veg*ans might suffer more frequently from this side effect as our urine is more alkaline. So cranberry juice might help as other fruit juices. Cranberries also have an effect against the ability of bacteria to cling to the bladders lining cells (an thus the bacteria are excreted).

11,550 Posts
the reason lots of people get problems like this with antibiotics, is that if they're broad spectrum, and getting into your digestive system, they don't just kill the bad bugs, they kill the friendly ones too. this not only upsets your digestion, but gives naturally present candida yeast space to flourish and get out of hand. hence the upset tummy, thrush and cystitis link.

to avoid yeast infections when you take antibiotics, you can ask your doctor to prescribe a course of nystatin alongside it. its an antifungal, that kills yeasts like candida. i also take a probiotic at the same time, something to put back the poor friendly bacteria in your body that are getting anihilated.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:
Damn pharmacy people!
Actually, doctors often write the prescription for a solid dosage form. Also, not all antibiotics are available in a suitable liquid alternative. A better approach would be to tell your doctor before they write the prescription that you'd like a liquid formulation.

(And maybe it was just the damn pharmacy people! They can't all be as fantabulous as yours truly.
)

·
Registered
685 Posts
If strep throat isn't treated and you rely on your own immune system to do it, the immune system will often get so enthusiastic about the job it gets carried away and starts attacking similar proteins that are found in places like your heart valves and joints. Hence, you can develop the autoimmune disease rheumatic fever.

So while I'm generally in favor of not getting drugs for every little thing, Strep infections are one little thing I'd go ahead and medicate.

Probiotics can be a good idea (can't hurt and probably help) after a course of antibiotics, but you may as well wait until the antibiotics are done before starting them. No point in taking them just in time for the drugs to kill them off...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The symptoms you describe have nothing to do with the gelatin casule -- yeast infections and stomach upset are common side effects of antibiotics.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I didn't gather that she was saying that it was due to the gelatin. I took it more as a "hey, vegetarians...something to think about next time you get sick" message.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applescruff View Post

Actually, doctors often write the prescription for a solid dosage form. Also, not all antibiotics are available in a suitable liquid alternative. A better approach would be to tell your doctor before they write the prescription that you'd like a liquid formulation.

(And maybe it was just the damn pharmacy people! They can't all be as fantabulous as yours truly.
)
I was just kidding though :p I still want the pink bubble gum medicine...

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bios View Post

If strep throat isn't treated and you rely on your own immune system to do it, the immune system will often get so enthusiastic about the job it gets carried away and starts attacking similar proteins that are found in places like your heart valves and joints. Hence, you can develop the autoimmune disease rheumatic fever.
I know how important it is to treat strep. I actually wasn't even tested, the doctor just said he was going to treat it like it was. I think it was just a bad infection. I hate meds. Meds suck. I know they're necessary sometimes though...

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingVeg View Post

The symptoms you describe have nothing to do with the gelatin casule -- yeast infections and stomach upset are common side effects of antibiotics.
I know. I've had these problems in the past.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I didn't gather that she was saying that it was due to the gelatin. I took it more as a "hey, vegetarians...something to think about next time you get sick" message.
That's correct

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applescruff View Post

Yeah, I just cut the problem off at the pass and get the doctor to find me the liquid or tablet form of whatever medication is needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts