VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote a letter to the Calgary Herald in response to a very deceptive pro-rodeo editorial, and it was published. So, to be a showoff, here it is. (note that they did a lot of editing)

Re: "Rodeo is hard on cowboys, too," Will Verboven, Opinion, July 9.

Will Verboven is described as "a freelance columnist specializing in rural and agricultural issues," though I cannot recall any contributions relating to fertilizer or hay bales. Instead, he defends the exploitation of animals and criticizes the animal rights movement. His latest diatribe is rife with his characteristic use of misleading language.

Verboven's description of the flank strap is at best a half-truth. He correctly states the device does not have embedded spikes, nor does it cover the genital area. However, he deceptively refers to the strap as a signal, implying bucking is a conditioned response to its presence. Were this true, a whistle or bell could be used as a signal. Horses continue to buck after the cowboy has fallen off and until the strap is released. Bucking is neither voluntary nor controlled; it is the horse's frantic response to discomfort.

Verboven ludicrously refers to the horses' "racing careers." He claims chuckwagon horses are "rescued" from the racing circuit. Most are bought from claiming races while still capable of performing. Chuckwagon drivers are not intercepting these animals at the glue factory gates; they condemn them to a different type of cruelty.

Verboven insinuates animal rights activists are motivated by greed. Is he denying the financial stake the Stampede has in maintaining the public's indifference to animal suffering?

Dan Edwards

Calgary

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
good .... I wrote an email to www.cbc.ca showing my disapproval of their showing info on the Calgary Stampede

I hate the fact that it's shown like just a fun sport event. I mean why can't people open their bloody eyes and see that a 220 pound idiot in cowboy hat roping a baby cow at full speed and then tying up the feet is not s sport ..... it's abuse

If I had a puppy and did that , I'd be arrested and fined!!!

Why the double standard ....... tradition? Oh good old "tradition" has always allowed people to hide behind it and continue doing crap

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I laugh every time one of these Rodeo guys gets a horn you know where. They deserve every stomp on, stab or runn over these poor animals can muster up. Yeah real american..whatever happen to Baseball being the american past time?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts