VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A common thread running through a lot of my readings (e.g., You on a Diet, Fantastic Voyage, etc.) on health lately has been the problems associated with low-grade chronic inflammation in the body. I'm making a lot of changes in my diet lately to help reduce inflammation. I'm also look at how I want to change my exercise routine. Based on what I've read and people I've talked with so far it seems that exercise is not created equal. From what I've gathered there are better and worse forms of exercises for inflammation.

Better

Yoga

Weightlifting

Walking

Worse

Running

I'm a former marathon runner so reading/hearing that running might not be so good from an inflammatory perspective wasn't great to hear.

I'd love any thoughts here or articles on this issue. If one were look to put together an optimal anti-inflammatory exercise routine what would that look like?

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
Its hard to generalize jbishkc

Its what your body does in reaction to the activity

If I could add one more to your list it would be Pilate's <spelling

The jogging would be good if you could finish with a light massage

·
Registered
609 Posts
Much as I hate to say it, it makes sense that running should be an inflammatory exercise. I will never stop doing it (which they say is the difference between a runner and a jogger: I would do it even if it wasn't good for me. That's addiction!), but you know that feeling you get at the end of a 60 mile week? I'm pretty sure that's what they are talking about. I wonder if you can get the kind of intense exercise running provides WITHOUT the inflammation though? I mean, if I bike the equivalent of runnin 60 mpw, which is probably about 200 miles, I feel the same way. Same is true if I swim that equivalent. If it's inflammation I'm feeling, then that's just the result of exercising intensely, right? Is it possible there's a "good" inflammation?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts