VeggieBoards banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the meat in the microwave thread, FafaFrappy wrote<br><br>
----------------------<br><br>
"So I took some anti-bacterial cleaner and cleaned the whole thing because of how gross that was to me"<br><br>
--------------------<br><br><br><br>
Firstly I'm not picking on you FafaFrappy but when I read that I just had to bring this up in a separate post<br><br><br><br><br><br>
When I read that I thought I'd start a new thread on this subject. I have been dead set against the proliferation of "anti-bacterial" products for years. They have this stuff in so many products but I refuse to by anything with this.<br><br><br><br>
I have seen much evidence that this adds to the increasing resistance of bacteria harmful to humans (huge use of anti-bacterial stuff in animal farming too) becaus e it kills off weaker bacteria and leaves mutants which aren't harmed to prosper without any competition from the other pacteria.<br><br><br><br>
So today, through all of this usage, there are cases now where infections are barely treatable by one option when decades ago, doctors had 5 or 6 options for treatment of the same situation.<br><br><br><br>
My opinion is I'd like everyone to rethink their use of any antibacterial product.<br><br><br><br>
I'd like to hear anyone's opinions on this subject<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s134718.htm" target="_blank">http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s134718.htm</a><br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.barrenriverhealth.org/pressreleases/Handwashing.htm" target="_blank">http://www.barrenriverhealth.org/pre...andwashing.htm</a><br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.practicalhippie.com/cache/antibacterial/soapoveruse.htm" target="_blank">http://www.practicalhippie.com/cache...oapoveruse.htm</a><br><br><br><br><br><br><a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/791934.stm" target="_blank">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/791934.stm</a>

·
Registered
244 Posts
On a different note:<br><br><br><br>
Bacteria is not always harmful, there are types that are necessary for our survival, and others that are harmful, but that also are usually kept in check by the "good" bacteria.<br><br><br><br>
In poor, less developed countries, children get hardly any allergies at all, because they live in a less sterile way, wheras in richer countries our bodies don't learn to fight against harmful bacteria, thus we develop allergies and the like. That is a known fact.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I haven't paid special attention to not purchasing anti-bacterial products (it's EVERYwhere, it seems), but I totally agree with your point about changing bacteria and even antibiotic resistance.<br><br><br><br>
People nowadays become such germophobics that they spray everything with anti-bacterial spray once a day, not even realizing that there is probably only a minimal amount of potentially harmful bacteria in what they are spraying, and that by keeping everything around them sterile, they will be even more susceptible to harmful bacteria once they DO come in contact with it.<br><br><br><br>
I read a story a long time ago where they talked about kids that grew up never being able to play outside, or touch dirt, or ANYthing. They were disinfected contantly and their bedsheets were cleaned every other day or something (I know, I'm exaggerating, but you get my point), and they were sick much more often (also later in life) than other kids that did get "dirty" every once in a while. It's just that when you're young, you "toughen" for life, and if there's nothing to tough up for, then you just won't be tough.<br><br>
Of course, there's a limit to that. I wouldn't spray kids with harmful bacteria to make them strong, but you probably know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I don't buy antibacterial soap, antibacterial hand lotion, antibacterial hand sanitizer...I hate all that stuff. We need to be exposed to the little bugs so that when the bigger ones hit, we have the antibodies and resistance to fight them off. If I need to get something really clean (like the bathroom floor underneath my messy cat's litter box), I use a steam cleaner and plain old tap water.<br><br><br><br>
And don't even get me started about the overuse of antibiotics...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't buy antibacterial products, either. I think they're contributing to the increase in illnesses, especially in kids, that folks used to be able to just fight off naturally. They've actually done studies that show that kids raised in homes with pets have greater resistence to illness than kids without pets (barring kids who have legitimate pet allergies). That's because the exposure to the pet dander and hair helps them to develop disease resistence.<br><br><br><br>
I do a lot of cleaning with hot water and regular soap (like Dr. Bronner's). I keep my house pretty clean, but I'm not a maniac about it. Between cats, dogs, and kids, DH and I would have to clean constantly if we wanted a "pristine" house.<br><br><br><br>
And muppetcow, I'm with you on the antibiotics thing. They are WAY overprescribed, especially for kids. I rarely took antibiotics as a kid - maybe 5 or 6 times, only for really big stuff (like chicken pox, and strep throat). We fought off everything else with "Mom medicine" (juice, sleep, water, sleep, and the occasional hot lemonade and honey with a shot of Jack Daniels for sore throats).

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Anti bacterial products are evil - they make my eczema flare something awful. When I went to the dermatologist - he mentioned to me that a lot of public places use anti-bacterial soap as a precaution. I have to tote my own soap with me. But that is better than itchy hands.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"he mentioned to me that a lot of public places use anti-bacterial soap as a precaution."<br><br>
-------------<br><br><br><br><br><br>
This vegetraian restaurant has antibacterial soap in the bathroom .... I have considered telling them about the bad points of this stuff .... should I ?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am totally with you, dk_art. I am sometimes surprised at the places in which I find anti-bacterial products (ie - vegetarian restaurant). Sometimes I have said to people, "I'm surprised you would have this considering you seem to be really conscious of other health and environmental concerns." It starts a conversation at least.<br><br><br><br>
My chemistry professor once brought up the subject of antibacterial products and spoke against them very strongly. Namely, triclosan. She said that, in the world of chemistry, it is a known carcinogen that effects the central nervous system immediately upon contact. She could not believe the stupidity of the companies putting this in products and then all of America buying it.<br><br><br><br>
I saw a commercial once that bragged that their face cleanser contained triclosan and tingled when you washed your face with it. I thought to myself how evil that was. The tingling is the triclosan effecting your CNS and they turned it into a marketing plug!<br><br><br><br>
My mother had a dentist who wanted her to use a Colgate toothpaste that contained triclosan and I told my mother what triclosan is and does and she went back to her dentist and told him her concerns. He was really great because he called the company (I think they put him in touch with the scientists or people who actually formulate and research the toothpaste) and he said that after considering the information he obtained, he was no longer comfortable recommending that toothpaste to his patients.<br><br><br><br>
I totally agree that we have become a nation of germaphobes.

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
I always avoid antibacterial products. they work no better than soap and warm water, and being responsible for the creation of mutant super-resistant bacteria really doesn't appeal to me.<br><br><br><br>
i've read somewhere that some physicians prescribe antibiotics to people who have the flu just to get rid of them. it's incredible how many people don't know, or worse yet, don't <i>believe</i> that antibiotics don't kill viruses because they took antibiotics and got better! well gess what, everybody gets better from the flu in 7-10 days anyway! and really, if you're not at risk of dying, if you're not an infant or a senior, why on earth are you going to the doctor or to the <i>hospital</i> just because of a flu? don't people <i>know</i> that it's unnecessary, and a burden on the health care system? sheesh..<br><br><br><br>
pardon the rant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts