VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My handsome vegan boyfriend is now officially my handsome vegan fiance
Even though the wedding is a year or so away, I've been looking into catering (it will be a completely vegan wedding). I found only one cake baker will offers vegan wedding cakes at a whopping $4.75 a slice. Since we're having about a hundred guests, five hundred bucks is a bit much for a cake. Basically, I was hoping that any of you who have thrown a veg wedding could give me any advice you may have on planning.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I had a vegan wedding, but we only invited our parents and siblings, as well as their offspring. We all had dinner at a restaurant that offered vegan selections in addition to animal selections that were at least "free-range," "hormone-free," etcetera. Kept the event pleasant for everyone.

I did take the liberty of pre-ordering a small vegan carrot cake and chocolate cake for the group, but they could order anything else they wanted for dessert, too.

Ah, but it wasn't all that cheap per person. It was only relatively cheap because our group amounted to about 12 people!

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have no suggestions on catering outside of friends who do quality work. What I do want to say is CONGRATULATIONS MISSLEIGH!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the congrats, guys! Epski, it sounds like you avoided much hassle by keeping it small. I was thinking about talking to our favorite vegan restaurant, and see if they could be persuaded to cater, but it is chinese food, so I don't know if that would exactly appeal to everyone. I do have lots of time to think about it, though.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Make your own vegan cake!! You'll be able to find a recipe somewhere. It's cheaper, and it may not be as grandeur, but you still get a vegan cake!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a consideration, Loki. But, as great of a cook as I am, a great baker I'm not. Plus, the thought of baking a cake that large frightens me!

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Congratulations!

I was engaged awhile back (not anymore, sadly), and I did some research into vegan wedding cakes in the Atlanta area. I happened to still have the link on my work PC. (Hehe, haven't cleaned out my favorites lately!)

ETA: I'm just going to post the link in here in case anyone else wants it. ^_^

http://www.letthemeatcakeatlanta.com/

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Ceryna! That's the same bakers I found in my own search. They charge .75 more per slice of vegan cake than they do regular cake! That seems funny, since they are leaving stuff out, rather than adding more stuff in. Haha. Hopefully I will find a few others to compare.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Tri and Saborm are having a vegan wedding--you should PM one of them and see if they've found a cake place yet.

And CONGRATULATIONS on your pending nuptials! I hope you two have a long and happy life together!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
As much as it sounds nice, I'd advise against baking your own cake. The bride generally gets super stressed leading up to the wedding and the pressure to make the cake perfect would be unbearable. (Well, if you want it perfect like I do! LOL) It's your day, do as little work for it as possible!
And good luck!

Maybe suss out some regular bakers and see if they cater for specific dietary requirements? Lots of places should be willing... you'd think!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Congratulations.

Saborm and I are getting married at the end of the year.

I am planning on making our cake and coordinating all of the food myself at this point. I'm going to need someone to assit me with all of these people that are coming though.

After our wedding we can probably give you some advice after our wedding on what worked and what didn't.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
i think if you look around you will be surprised to find non-vegan caterers that will go out of their way to make everything you want the way you want it.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't wait to hear about saborm and triumvir's wedding! I hope you guys take lots of pictures.

I may try to work out something with a regular caterer who may want a culinary challenge

·
Registered
0 Posts
Congrats!
My fiance and I haven't started officially planning yet (sometime this summer...we'll have about 7 months to get everything done), but I know I want a vegetarian reception...he doesn't care about the food. As he put it, "I'll eat gorilla feet if it means we get to get married."

Do you have a local veg*n restaurant? I know that mine does catering, and they make the yummiest vegan cakes! We're looking at an informal hors d'oeuvres and dessert reception in the evening, BTW. Their carrot cake would make a great vegan wedding cake, but fiance doesn't like carrot cake in general, so we might need to think of something else. I want to have them cater the entire reception, and they're reasonably priced.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Congratulations! Since your wedding is a while off, if you can't find someone to do your cake proffessionally, there might still be hope. At most craft stores ( like AC Moore) they offer cake decorating classes. My mother-in-law took one before and she made my wedding cake, and it was beautiful. Maybe one of your vegan friends could help, as I don't suggest that you try and do so much right before your wedding! You can tell them that would be their gift to you and your fiance.

It just seems stupid that a baker would charge more for a vegan cake! I mean, you're not using eggs and butter!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts