VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly thanks so much for your help on my last question. This one is similar and while I know I need to make my own choices, I really need guidance from fellow vegie buddies on these issues so thank-you in advance for your help.

My question is this - I like shopping at a certain gothic shop (the only one in my city which sells certain brands of clothing) which also stocks vegan hair dye and make-up which doesn't test on animals (yay!). However, the store has dead bats and spiders on the walls, some taxidermed animals (but also a human foot in a jar and a coffin so it is clear they seem to be fascinated with death, not specific animal crulety). These are only displays, not for sale by the business. I just wanted your opinions on what you would do, as I want to buy the hair dye and some of the clothing but I do feel uncomfortable and sad around the dead animals - were they already dead when stuffed or killed for the purpose?

My second question is related to a movie I saw the other night - Saw 3. I don't know now why I wanted to see it but if anyone else has would know of a scene I found really disturbing with dead pigs on hooks. I turned so I wouldn't see but my friend thought it was over and said I could look and I saw more. I know this is the reality of the cruelty towards animals but I don't know how to get it out of my head. It just has made me really sad and I don't know what to do.

Sorry this is so long and thanks for taking the time to help me. I appreciate it so much

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I would still shop there. Most (sorry, all) shops I shop at aren't 100% cruelty free, and you are doing a great thing by buying the cruelty-free products. If you're feeling like a bit of an activist you could talk to them about it and try to persuade them not to buy any more in future, but I certainly don't think you're under any sort of moral obligation to do so

I haven't seen Saw 3, but I get how you must be feeling. Just remember that this is the stuff you are trying to get out of your life, the stuff you are doing your best not to support any more. Focus on the positive of how you are NOT one of the people who supports this industry.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I would probably shop there, like isowish said, I also haven't seen a 100% cruelty free store.

I saw Saw III also. I watched the whole scene and it was really sad & pointless to use piggies for that reason. Don't know if I'll be watching Saw IIII. ;(

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_girl View Post

I know this is the reality of the cruelty towards animals but I don't know how to get it out of my head. It just has made me really sad and I don't know what to do.
You can do activism
I.e. contact a local veg*n group and try to do something about it.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Oh, and to the main question, I probably wouldn't shop there. But I wouldn't consider someone doing so to be some kind of a cruel person or anything.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You might try talking to the store's owner and ask him/her if they would consider replacing the animals with fakes. Explain that you think it sends a message that cruelty towards unwilling subjects is OK, and ask him what he thinks the corpses represent. At the very least it could make him/her think -- just remain neutral and respectful, and tell the owner how much you enjoy shopping there and buying cruelty free products.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I personally think that's kind of hypocritical of the store.

I wouldn't want to shop there, but if you want to, that's fine. But I wouldn't go in a place with dead bats on the wall

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks for your replies
I don't think id use the word 'hypocritcal' as I don't think the owners particularly made sure they have cruelty free cosmetics - I think its just a coincidence that this brand (manic panic) has goth-themed make-up and is vegan. But I'm glad they do at least
I think I might be sending an email to the people who made Saw 3. Hmmm would anyone else be interested in sending some sort of petition or something? I've never done this before so I'm not entirely sure how to go about it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Music_girl, the idea of seeing dead pigs on hooks is heartbreaking. I have memories of going to a Chinese restaurant in New York City where they had dead animals hung from hooks along the walls of the restaurant. I was appalled! Supposedly, there are still several restaurants in New York City that have this kind of "decor". They're usually have the words "duck house" in the restaurant name.

Kristie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.