VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jasper, Texas. Did anyone see The Two Jaspers?

I thought it was awful. It seemed as though everyone was getting off on the fact that big media was interested in their little town...even James Byrd's relatives.

It really got me when they would high five each other after one of the killers was convicted.

Then in the town hall meeting after the documentary, with

Ted Kopel...a black, male student from the town asks why they couldn't wear braids at the school...I don't think that simple question was ever answered.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I wore braids at my ultra white school. and i am white. hehe...

uhm, yeh, but besides Jasper Texas are there places you totally wouldn't want to live?

I wouldn't want to live in Iraq.. because they'd kill me as i'm A) Yid, B) not that prudish

though I wouldn't mind living in Saudi Arabia.. because they have starbucks and public beheadings.. just to see how a society like that operates would be amazing.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I wouldn't want to live anywhere that's to hot or to cold to grow food. Plus, there's gotta be work available. And plenty of nature to escape too..trees, streams, mountain; but, close enough to some kind of shopping. And it can't have large amount of great big bugs, like the cockroaches in Florida or the big horse fly's in the South. I don't much care for bugs except for butterfly's, firefly's, and ladybugs. I probably can't afford a place like that

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I don't think I want to live in Wisconsin. Ok, it's silly, but it seems like Wisconsin has it in for my family and me. We've driven through Wisconsin four times en route to other places, and every single time our car has broken down and required major, costly repairs.

Well, when you consider that since I've always lived in Ohio, most bad stuff happens to me here, Wisconsin has fewer bad experiences than Ohio does. However, the percentage of unpleasent experiences for Wisconsin is higher than that for Ohio, especially considering that high amounts of good experiences can work to cancel out bad ones.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Mushroom, I dunno if its a good idea to base an opinion solely on the actions of the lowlifes who killed James Byrd. In my experience, I've generally found most folks in Texas, and many of the Southern States, to be very polite and friendly, and very much unlike the people appearing in this movie.

Their actions, while questionable at best (not the killers, they are just lowlifes) I doubt is an accurate depiction of the entire town.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Fie on Hollywood for giving us a warped image of a town... oh yeah, that's been happening for years from all sorts of sources. Fie on the liars...

But if we think we're being lied to, we can look for the truth. There's hope yet!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I'm just happy to be alive period, in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter where I live. I've lived in hick, rural towns to the city to suburbia, and all it really matters is living a life with loved ones I cherish and chatting with cool people on veggieboards

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Big bugs, yes. Ultra-expensive, depends on what you're comparing it to. I pay hella-cheap rent, but my situation is not typical. gas is 1.79 a gallon, and groceries are a little more expensive, but overall, it's not that bad. You get used to it. They call it the 'luxury tax'. (they like to think that's funny...)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts