VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<b>Only a Traffic 'Expert' Could Like Congestion</b><br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-le-hall4aug04,1,1601954.story" target="_blank">http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,1601954.story</a><br><br><br><br>
(In response to a study that claimed that traffic jams were a sign of economic vitality)<br><br><br><br><div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">I recently gave up both my cars and started taking public transportation. I was shocked to read that some people consider the subway to be a waste of money. I love it. I wish I had started taking the subway earlier. The only thing that disappoints me is how little of Los Angeles we have truly connected. I can get all over the L.A. area with my monthly MTA pass, thanks to buses, and it is super-handy not to have to worry about $20 parking on Sunset Boulevard or to waste time in traffic that I could spend reading on the bus.<br><br><br><br>
But I'd rather be traveling by rail. The rail system is a great start, but we need to expand it, not criticize it. My biggest gripe is that there is no rail line heading toward Santa Monica, which is probably the most-needed branch. My second-biggest gripe would probably be that these buses and rail cars are still crowded. Sometimes you can't get a seat. Those gripes noted, it will be a while before I consider driving in L.A. again. I'm enjoying the lack of commuter stress too much.</div>
</div>
<br>

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Congrats!<br><br>
I didn´t use cars after I got my licence for about 17 years. Where I work now, I have to use a car, otherwise I would spend 4 1/2 to 5 /1/2 hours on public transport per day. I´d love to change back, because it´s so relaxing not having to steer a wheel.<br><br>
If traffic jams were a sign for economic vitality, I don´t know why everybody is talking about an econic crisis!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
That's great Epski! I know when I lived in Philly, I had no need for a car, there was the subway, trolley, bus, bike and my feet. Now living outside the city, we have a vehicle, there's basically no public transportation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts