VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just wanted to say hi, im new to being vegetarian, i just started today. i wanted to know does anyone have any suggestions on what books i should read, or vitamins i should take , and how to deal with family that might be negative and not like the idea of me being vegetarian. anything would be helpful. But i just would like to say hi, and im really excited and thanks for having me here. By the way im 26yrs old.

veggiemom80

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
hi! welcome to VB and congratulations on choosing vegetarianism!

if you are still eating eggs and dairy, you shouldn't need any vitamins as long as you eat healthily. However, when I was lacto-ovo and even when I ate meat I took a multivitamin just to cover my bases and this might be a good idea.

I've heard the book 'Living Among Meat Eaters' mentioned often, which might be an answer to both of your last two queries. I haven't read it though so I can't personally reccommend it.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Hi! A vegetarian multi-vitamin is always a good idea. But make sure it says "vegetarian" or you might get gelatin in your vitamins. A couple of books you may want to read are "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell, and books by John Robbins - "The Food Revolution" and "Diet for a New America". You will find good recipes in our recipe threads. Please feel free to jump on any of the threads here, and ask questions. Becoming vegetarian is a journey and you will find some days easier than others. But you'll always find support here!

Welcome to VB!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Welcome to VeggieBoards!
Congrats on your desicion!
If you plan to go vegan I recommend you take vitamin B12. If your family has a negative reaction to your veg*nism, try to explain why you wanted to be vegetairan. Do not get preachy or else they may get annoyed and roll their eyes at you. If you need any other advice you may fond that the "New to Vegetarianism" forum may be helpful. I wish you great luck!

·
Registered
318 Posts
The Becoming Vegan book is definitely a good one. It has the real important need to know stuff about making sure you get whole nutrition, which is something that could pose some serious and unexpected problems much later down the road. For recipe books, I have checked a number of them out at the library, and I renewed 2 of them, I think they are keepers. One is "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" by Deborah Madison, and the other is Madur Jaffreys "World Vegetarian". Not that I ahve read a large volume of vegetarian recipe books, but of the 5 I have seen so far, these 2 were very good.

From what I have gathered, it seems that the main vitamins you want to watch out for is B12 and Riboflavin. That assumes of course that you eat a balanced diet with a variety of foods from each group. I just take a daily multi-vitamin and I feel great after only 5 weeks of this, so take what I say in this matter for what it's worth, just 5 weeks experience. Someone below mentioned gelatin in the vitamins, and I had not thought of htis before. Guess I'll have to look at mine now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the responses, and thanks for having me. I will check out all the books, and read what everyone suggested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts