VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've given Vegetarianism a go in the past, about 2 years ago. I went about a week.. and caved. I don't even remember the specifics now..

anyway...

I'll admit it, not eating meat is difficult for me. I know for many it's just not an option or even disgusting.. however I've never found anything I could sink my teeth into and have such a satisfactory mouth-feel.

I'm still as unhealthy as ever, weighing in somewhere in the 270s. I need to drop 70+, to be in a comfortable range for me.

Anyway, just chiming in. Thinking of giving this a go. I'm sure all the meat-alts coming out are getting better all the time.

-Ryan

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hi Ryan! Yes, the meat alternatives are awesome nowadays. If you are looking to drop some weight, they are a great way to start, because they often have less fat and fewer calories than the meat versions. Go to the store and get some morningstar farms chik patties, and cook them on a george foreman grill or in the oven / toaster oven (microwaving is not the best way), and they are delicious. You can't even tell the difference. My sister isn't vegetarian and prefers them to the "real" chicken patties at the store!

Those types of things will help you with the mouth feel issue. It will take a little time but eventually you will discover that the new mouthfeel of rice and beans, delicious stir fries, are just as good or even better than what you're already used to. Its just a matter of adjustment.

THe one thing you really can't replicate is the mouth feel of a hamburger. Don't even try. Switch to veggie burgers that DONT taste like beef, becuase otherwise your mouth will feel confused and dissapointed. I dont even miss it at all anymore and it has been 6 years. Good luck!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Welcome. Yes, I think there are a good variety of meat analogues out there. However, a lot of folks, after an initial phase, find that they are eating more whole foods, rice/legumes, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks.

I keep reading that TVP is great too.. although I've never found it anywhere. I guess it can be very 'meat-like'.. some folks suggested taco seasoning that folks use when they make beef tacos with tvp to get a meat-like taste out of them.. but that was some time ago so I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Welcome! Just like any habit it takes a while to get used to and should get easier. And as I'm sure you know, going vegetarian won't automatically result in weight loss.

As for motivation, it may help to watch something like Meet Your Meat

Good luck!
Thanks for linking me to 'Meet your Meat'.
I'm not doing this for any reason other than health. Animal's being killed for human consumption doesn't bother me.. nor does it bother me HOW they are killed..

I'm not on board with some of what I'll call "veg*n propaganda" so, please spare it.

As far as guaranteed weightloss, yes I realize that.. however considering what I eat now (which is mostly Junk)... will be a whole lot harder to eat when I don't want to eat the main component in it. (Beef/Chicken).

I eat too much processed food, it sucks.. I hate cooking. My limitations are mac n' cheese as far as the stove goes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I have no idea what motivates you. Excuse me for trying to help.
You could have easily helped without the 'meet your meat' bit. I've seen it. To me it's nothing more than a guilt trip video. I classify it with the whole "Debunking 9/11" stuff you see floating around that says that planes didn't hit the pentagon because no part of a plane was left... and that it must have been a missile, etc. etc etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, many people go veggie for different reasons. Whether it be ethical, environmental, religious, health or something else. As most do this for ethical reasons, they usually assume that everyone else is aswell. You going veggie for health reasons is fine, but unless you go out and personally slaughter all the living things you would have eaten, then you're still saving animal lives. And i respect this.

What i'm saying is if you want a forum full of ethicians to respect your choice of changing your lifestyle for health, then its best to try to respect everyone elses decision to turn veg*n because of ethical reasons.

Back to OP. If you have trouble, try going veggie over a long period of time. Cut out meat every saturday or something and work your way up. I personally decided one day that i wasn't going to eat meat, and never have since. The more you cut meat out, the easier it will become and soon you wont miss it at all.

Hope this helps.

-Engelsman

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EngelsMan,

Thanks so much. that's quite a response. I agree on 'weening' myself off meat.

I'm eating a bean and cheese burrito as we speak, which is fine anyway. I like them.. it just happens there's no meat in them.

Other then that, a small bit of sunchips and a diet (w/ splenda) soda.. I don't know that I can ever give up soda... not that soda has anything to do with vegetarianism.

Breakfast consisted of a Whey Protein drink, which some will say is not the way to go.. but I normally don't eat breakfast and expected today to be a bit more difficult to get by so I wanted a little extra to get me there.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I don't have any tips to give or anything, but I want to reassure you I was a HUGE meat lover, practically a carnivore, and now don't miss it at all after being veg for ~3 years. It can definitely be done!

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
Mindflux,

Congrats on going veggie!! If you are looking to lose weight (70lbs, I believe you said) than I suggest right away giving up fast food and soda. I know for some people giving up sodas can be difficult but even limiting the amount of sodas you drink in a week can help. Soda is nothing but sugar and empty calories and is terrible for your teeth as well as your belly fat percentage. I stopped drinking all forms of soda about two years ago by gradually limiting the number I drank, going down to 1 soda per weekend and then nothing at all. Fast food is really no different because of the high amounts of fat grams and calories and little to no nutritional value.

Since you don't like to do a lot of cooking, try replacing these quick pre-packaged foods with easy raw foods such as fruits (apples, bananas, peaches, grapes, etc) and veggies (carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, etc). Make sure you have lots of these things available for when you are feeling peckish. Adding hummus or nut butters for dipping helps keep you in nutritional balance. Whole wheat products like breads and pastas is much healthier as well. If you add these things with a small amount of 'mock meat' products I am sure you will be very satisfied. The only thing I'd watch out for with 'mock meats' is that they are still a processed food and may contain high levels of salt, sat. fats and unhealthy ingredients such as HFCS. But in moderation they can be a great addition to a veggie diet.

Good luck!!

Hang~Ten

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mindflux,

good decision! I've only been veggie for about a month, but I definitely feel better.

In addition to cutting out the cokes (diet and regular), try to eliminate or atleast reduce your intake of enriched/bleached flours, partially hydrogenated oils, sugar, and high fructose corn syrup.

These things play havoc on your system.

It's easy to eat vegetarian and still not eat healthy. So, keep an eye on these things as well. You'll see a drastic change!

Good luck!

Maire

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So what's the deal with diet soda? These have 0 cals, 40mg of Sodium, no HFCS.

So, what precisely is bad in them other than perhaps caffeine?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Fake sweetener, phosphoric acid (especially bad for your teeth)...

<<loves Diet Dr. Pepper, but is refraining (for now)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
One of the best things you could do for yourself, whether you stay with being vegetarian or not, is to get into the habit of eating breakfast everyday. It will help a great deal with losing the weight, because it will help fire up your metabolism and it will also help you not to binge on food later on in the day.

I know cooking sounds like a drag to you to learn, but when you start eating healthier, vegetarian or not, it becomes an important skill. I'm not saying you need to learn everything all at once, but start picking up some skills. Watch cooking shows, experiment with some recipes you find interestng, get a close friend or family member teach how to make some foods that they make that you like, or maybe take a class. Definitely practice cutting up vegetables and fruits and learn to stir-fry and steam rice. Small steps and practice can turn cooking from being a drag to something you enjoy and are good at.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Fake sweetener, phosphoric acid (especially bad for your teeth)...

<<loves Diet Dr. Pepper, but is refraining (for now)
I drink Coke w/ Splenda, which is derived from Sugar, not HFCS or Sweetener..

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post

I drink Coke w/ Splenda, which is derived from Sugar, not HFCS or Sweetener..
It might come from sugar, but after all the chemicals added and removed in the process, it pretty much boils down to being artificial and not very good for you. Some people are so sensitive to it that it gives them digestive problems and/or diarrhea.

Soda is tasty, I enjoy it occasionally, but sugar-free or not, it's not good for you. If you want some soda, a healthier alternative can be made from combining juice and seltzer water. I like about 25% juice to 75% seltzer water. You can adjust the amounts to taste. You're far better off drinking water, though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mindflux, I've been a vegetarian since August and I'm doing this mostly for health reasons. There are times I miss meet, I can say that so far I haven't eaten a meat subsitute that has the same mouthefeel as meat and I'm realizing that I probably won't find one. What I miss is the juiceness the most and that's not going to happen with fake meat.

However, I've decided that since I'm not going to find that I need to find other tastes and other things.

Definitly learning to cook is a big thing. You can really control what goes into your food and how it tastes, plus you can save money. If you mac and cheese (I'm assuming from a box) is what you can do maybe try making pasta and sauce -- just cooking the sauce and the pasta. But maybe chop up some onions and peppers to saute before adding it to the sauce.

If you are really struggling with making the change to vegetarian I would recommend NOT giving up diet sodas. I'm addicted to diet Coke and it's hard enough for me to try and become veggie without trying to give up that right now. Maybe later down the line. But one thing at time.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
tearhsong2 hit the nail on the head...Splenda is only something formerly resembling sugar.

Agreed though, that it's not the worst thing in the world to have some diet soda. One step at a time, eh?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.