VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night us ladies were going to learn tips on gardening and how to make manicotti.

I walked into the kitchen to drop off my loaf pan for the manicotti and the sister in charge of the food grabs me by the shoulders, looks at me and says quite excitedly "I thought of you today!"...still holding my shoulders. I said oh really, well why's that? She replies with, "The second I dropped the meat into the sauce I thought I should have put some aside for you without meat. I'm so sorry!"

I can't say I was offended. I was glad she thought of me at least. It's not like she needed a reminder. She remembered I was vegetarian from when I brought the corn and tomato dish last time.

Anyways, so there were about 6 of us in the kitchen at one point and the previously mentioned sister asks me how I could have made the meal healthier. I didn't know what to say at first (I should have said "you mean other than taking the meat out
) but another sister helped when she asked if I could substitute tofu for the meat. Then I mentioned TVP and soy protein and when I mentioned that if you freeze the tofu, that will help give it a meatier texture. When I said that I couldn't help but notice one of the older ladies shake her head at me. She made no effort to hide. Just looked at me and kept shaking her head. It was hard to determine if she was shaking her head because she couldn't believe you could do so much with tofu or because she thought it was stupid not to eat meat. I tend the think it was the latter.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macylee36 View Post

When I said that I couldn't help but notice one of the older ladies shake her head at me. She made no effort to hide. Just looked at me and kept shaking her head. It was hard to determine if she was shaking her head because she couldn't believe you could do so much with tofu or because she thought it was stupid not to eat meat. I tend the think it was the latter.
Wouldn't it have been fun to ask her?LOL

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol yea I kind of wanted to but didn't want to create tension or anything like that. Some people are just so set in their ways though. Oh yea it was kind of cool because the girl who mentioned the tofu asked me what finally set me over the edge (because I mentioed I had been playing with being veg for a few weeks) and I just said it was everything I had been learning. I really think if everyone knew what the meat industry is that, that would be it. People (except for those who just truly don't care) would just stop eating meat...at least until the cruelty stopped.

·
Registered
80 Posts
um, sorta..
im kinda off the wagon right now. i have some issues me and Him have to work out. Before we can be amigos again. i DO miss church and fellowship somewhat....

J

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Heres an interesting quote from Joseph Smith.

We crossed the Embarras River and encamped on a small branch of the same about one mile west. In pitching my tent we found three massasaugas or prairie rattlesnakes, which the brethren were about to kill, but I said, 'Let them alone-don't hurt them! How will the serpent ever lose his venom, while the servants of God possess the same disposition and continue to make war upon it? Men must become harmless, before the brute creation; and when men lose their vicious dispositions and cease to destroy the animal race, the lion and the lamb can dwell together, and the sucking child can play with the serpent in safety.

(Smith, Joseph)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know there's at least a few others. Thanks for that quote! I'm totally going to use it.

And a word of advice for J, I've been off the wagon...more than once. It's worth it to get back on quickly. Whatever the issues are, he's willing to work with you on them, trust me. :)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

Heres an interesting quote from Joseph Smith.

We crossed the Embarras River and encamped on a small branch of the same about one mile west. In pitching my tent we found three massasaugas or prairie rattlesnakes, which the brethren were about to kill, but I said, Let them alonedont hurt them! How will the serpent ever lose his venom, while the servants of God possess the same disposition and continue to make war upon it? Men must become harmless, before the brute creation; and when men lose their vicious dispositions and cease to destroy the animal race, the lion and the lamb can dwell together, and the sucking child can play with the serpent in safety.

(Smith, Joseph)
I'm LDS too, and I use this example on my dad and brother whenver they talk about "having" to kill rattlesnakes or coyotes even. They're not religious in the slightest, but they enjoy telling me all the time that being a vegetarian is against the Word of Wisdom (which of course it isn't--but it isn't against it to eat meat either--though meat is supposed to be eaten sparingly, which most LDS that I know who choose to eat meat tend to ignore).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea its true. Every church function you go to, the meal is centered around meat as are most family meals. It's just casually ignored. I sent my dad that quote in an email and he decided to interpret it a different way. Eh, oh well.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Haha, I would have asked her what she was shaking her head about. If she said something mean, I would have said something like "Oh, I just thought it was an old person thing." haha

1 - 20 of 24 Posts