VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I'm in recovery for anorexia and eating 1500 - 1800 kcals a day or at least i think i am

But, i am not gaining weight although i'm not losing it either. So clearly i need to eat more.

My stupid fear is of buying foods and having them in the house because i'll binge on them and make myself sick. I had bulimia when I was younger and it a fear that I have.

I buy non-bingeable foods that need cooking and buy the rest (fruit, yoghurts etc) at work and eat them out of the house.

My body is falling to bits. I need to increase weight - quick.

Has anyone else coped with this binge-eating fear? Do you have any strategies for coping.

Thanks for listening

·
Registered
240 Posts
I definitely have, I was bulimic in high school and found that having certain foods in the house was bad news for me. I've since gotten better, so now I can have stuff around that would have triggered episodes five years ago.

It does sound like you need to eat more, that is a great goal to work towards, and gradually you will get more comfortable having some foods in the house. You said you keep "non binge" foods around, but how small a category is that?

If you CAN, try to have things like raw nuts and dry fruit to increase calories, if you can't keep food like that around, then keep them out of the house with the rest of the stuff, and just eat more away from the home setting until you feel more comfortable.

Some other random ideas are to have other people make you high-cal meals, if you felt okay about that. This way, you are upping the calories and not having food at your own home. I would also suggest eating out, as scary as it is, because that WILL help you gain weight and will prevent at-home binge worries.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Some other random ideas are to have other people make you high-cal meals, if you felt okay about that. This way, you are upping the calories and not having food at your own home. I would also suggest eating out, as scary as it is, because that WILL help you gain weight and will prevent at-home binge worries.

·
Registered
441 Posts
if you are in recovery, you should be eating many more calories than that unless you are completely inactive and extremely short.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am trying to establish 'normal eating'.

whatever that is......

that means eating the same amount of calories as other people do. most women eat about 1500 - 1800 kcals a day which is what i am eating.

this is what my dr recommends.

over a period of time i hope that i am eating enough to regain enough weight to be 'normal' weight.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the suggestion about nuts and dried fruit.

i am loathe to have other ppl cook for me or eat out. i did experiment with that over christmas and new year and to be honest it was a disaster. emotional bomb!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hmm, that's tricky, but I know the feeling. I started by going to a few "safe" restaurants (mainly sushi, or places where I knew calorie amounts) and then expanded gradually. Is there anyone who knows of your struggles that could cook WITH you?

It looks like your best bet is just to increase calories OUTSIDE your home by bringing more dense calorie foods with you when you eat. As well, keep in mind that while an "average" woman might eat 1800 calories a day, you need well over 2000 to be gaining weight.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys thanks for the posts.

i'm trying to eat out more. but i always end up with the healthiest thing on the menu. like veggie sushi and miso and fruits. basically what i eat at home!

i could eat more out of the house. i feel like i sit at my desk at work all day eating though...

2000 calories fills me with dread because i think if i eat that now then i won't be able to stop when i reach my target weight.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I know how you feel about worrying that you'll just keep gaining weight - but you won't. The human body is an amazing thing, and your body will settle down after the initial climb in weight. PLUS you will be able to rein in your eating and figure out how much you need, I promise. And you can start incorporating exercise, as well, when you've gained enough weight.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfj View Post

most women eat about 1500 - 1800 kcals a day which is what i am eating
I just thought I should mention that this is not at all true. Perhaps inactive, dieting women eat 1500 calories per day, but women who are only lightly active generally require 1800-1900 calories per day to maintain their weight. With some exercise, that number increases to 2000 or so. Please don't validate your restriction in that way.

Eating is the only way to boost your metablism to a normal level, letting you eat a normal amount without fear of becoming overweight. You can do it!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I second Keelin's statement - I used to restrict my calories to around 1800 a day, but I am a daily runner and walk everywhere, and I need around 2500 calories a day to maintain my weight...that is a hard number to wrap my head around, and it is hard to eat that much, but I NEED to do it.

Once you start eating regularly, you'll find that you can bump up your caloric intake and not gain weight. Go for it, you are definitely on the right track!

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
You need to keep food in the house. If you're worried about portion control, try buying individually serving sized things. It's less tempting to go and open another container of something than it is to keep munching out of an open box. I can see why you wouldn't want to shift over to binge eating, but if you need to gain weight you shouldn't be restricting either. Keep a wide variety of healthy foods in the house and eat every couple of hours.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I am currently in recovery from bulimia, but still very much fear binge eating and being out of control.

My current way of controlling this is to only have foods that I feel comfortable with in the house. This usually includes fruits, vegetables, grains and pulses.

Dried fruits and nuts are an excellent idea. They are incredibly healthy and may help to increase your weight.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys

In my heart of hearts i know i need more calories.

But the thought of 2000-2500 terrifies me.

I simply do not know a single person who consumes that many calories. I am surrounded by friends and colleagues who barely eat yet are perfectly healthy and normal weights. I feel like I am constantly eating.

)If you look at this thread here http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=65490

there are links to websites with recommended diet plans and there is no way those people are eating 2000 calories per day. I just don't understand it)

I guess I feel that I am eating when I'm not hungry and that is self-indulgent.

Thanks for your replies x

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
acfj, I know exactly what you mean. I'm attempting (mostly*ahem*) to gain weight. I have days when I think that I don't want to, or that I must be eating enough. But really I know I'm not, and I need to improve. But it is really scarey, and also embarassing -do you find that? I can't really say that I'm hungry, I can't be the one to go to lunch first. Other people have to do that, and I don't know why. Bizarre, huh?

Sorry for hijacking your thread with that, but I thought that you would like to know that there are other people out there with similar issues to yourself. Keep posting, and we can share ideas parhaps!

pirate x

·
Registered
0 Posts
Having people go with me to the bathroom after eating out helped too. Or having other ppl with me for a few hours after I ate. Because that temptation was always there, and having a preventative sorf of friendly supervision helped me to keep what I ate inside my body. I hope youve gotten past that stage already, I hope it helps someone else who hasnt. Binge eating is a totally real fear but you do know you have to eat.. Do your best to follow what your doctor is telling you - he/she knows what he/she is doing!

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey, i just thought i should say, there is not one number for calories a woman should eat in a day. i know i have a freakin psyco metabolism, and even when inactive i have to eat 3000 to maintain, so everyone's different, the amount u need is specific for u

·
Registered
461 Posts
i have just added raw nuts in my diet they dont blote me or fill me up to much for i think if you can there the way to go!!!! good luck

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfj View Post

Guys

I'm in recovery for anorexia and eating 1500 - 1800 kcals a day or at least i think i am

But, i am not gaining weight although i'm not losing it either. So clearly i need to eat more.
Hi,

I just wanted to point out that you have to consume 3500 calories more than what you expend in order to gain a pound. So, to gain 1 pound per week you would need to eat an extra 500 calories per day beyond the amount that it takes to just maintain your weight. If you have been eating 1500-1800 calories for awhile and your weight has stayed exactly the same, it sounds like this is your maintenance level. If you wanted to gain 1 pound per week, then you would probably need to eat around 2000 - 2300 calories per day. It just takes a lot more calories to gain than to maintain. Similarly, if you only wanted to gain a 1/2 pound per week then your range would be 1750-2050 (an extra 250 calories per day).

Along the lines of what others have said, your maintenance level will vary based on your level of activity. Another important factor would be your height and build. For example, I'm only 4'11", so the amount that it takes for me to maintain my weight falls below the average. I do get some exercise, but not that much that is aerobic, and I've got a sedentary job, so if I tried to eat the 2500 calories a day that someone else mentioned eating, I would actually be very fat. I just don't require that many calories to maintain a normal weight for my height. I'm not exactly sure how many calories I eat per day right now, but I would have to say its no more than 1500. I only eat 2 meals a day, and I don't snack. I don't feel the need to eat that often, but I eat large meals which I find very satisfying. Basically, I do brunch and supper.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
I have days when I think that I don't want to, or that I must be eating enough. ?
i know how that feels.

i've spent the last 4 days convincing myself that i do not have an ED because i am eating x amount of calories per day despite the fact that i am severely underweight and totally and utterly obsessed with bloody food and restricting!

i still can't get rid of the fear of bingeing. i think its due to being bulimic before. i live on my own, and i am actually a lot better when i have people staying over. i seem to be able to keep more foods in the house.

my therapist just says that i should have the food in my house and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.