VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am going to tell you about a friend I have, whom i thought would be a mild form of salvation but has instead turned out to be a not-so-mild pain in the neck.

When I first saw the light (ie became vegetarian) it was right before a school camp and I was a bit worried about the pressures of eating meat. Well, I have this friend, whom i shall call QA (short for Queen Annoying) who refuses to eat sausages, polony, gelatin or anything else which has the "icky" bits of an animal in it. Of course, at that time she still ate "normal meat", which of course wasn't gross at all... Go figure.

Anyway, I thought this would take the pressure off of me a bit, if someone else was not going to be eating the sausages. Well, it did, and for that i'm glad, although i would have managed just fine anyway. i worry too much. Now, QA, for the past six months (since she found out what gelatin IS) has been driving everyone in her immediate vicinity absolutely CRAZY by extolling very loudly all the faults and grossness of gelatin and other aforementioned foodstuffs. IE " Oh my GOD!! How can you eat that? (while someone is eating, say, a Cherry Ripe) That has GELATIN in it. Do you KNOW what gelatin IS! Oh MY God! It's boiled up cowbones!! Oh gross! How can you eat that!! I think I'm going to be sick!"

Sadly, i am not exaggerating. Even I, who doesn't eat gelatin, finds this very irritating. She just can't understand that some people on't give a damn. And even if she were doing it for the animals, it would still be annoying, but more understandable. She'll sit there eating a steak and be saying "Oh groos! Do you know what's IN sausages!!" Grr.

Moving into later days...

She then declared herself to be a "full" vegetarian, because, as she put it, "It's silly to not eat groos meat but then eat normal eat, because normal meat is cute little baby animals! I mean, how can anyone eat those cute little animal (said in a high pitched girly voice with little hand movements to symbolise petting a chick I think) oh they're so cute! Doesn't it just make you feel so SICK to think of eating those little animals?"

VERY ANNOYING.

Two days later, she eats some fish because she 'forgot' she was vegetarian. Grrrr. And she says she will probably eat meat as soon as her mother puts it on the table, and yet she goes around telling everyone she is a vegetarian!!

I reckon, live and let live (especially as it is just about how 'gross' she thinks things rae and nothing whatsoever to do about the animals or anyone else's welfare) and Shut Up! Grrr.

I'd tell her that but I'm very chicken

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
she must have strange reasons for going "veggie"

I think she has some weird associations with certain kinds of food.

See how she reacts when you tell her that tomato ketchup is allowed to have one grinded fly per bottle in it

But, yes very annoying these "sub-veggies"

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yeah, that's annoying, and not b/c she conveniently forgets she's vegetarian.

Any reason why you still hang out with her?

·
Registered
720 Posts
You know, not every one can be as cool as the rest of us

You'd probably be better off cultivating some friendships w/open-minded omnis that hanging out with her--she sounds almost unbearable.

Still, there's hope for everybody. Give her some pamphlets about modern factory farming and some veggie-starter kits to read, and maybe she'll stop using baby-talk and actually make intelligent arguments when she speaks (you never know?). She might even decide that she won't eat the meat her mother tosses in front of her (and might 'remember' that she's a vegetarian the next time she eats out). Stranger things have happened...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gnarly

IE " Oh my GOD!! How can you eat that? (while someone is eating, say, a Cherry Ripe) That has GELATIN in it. Do you KNOW what gelatin IS! Oh MY God! It's boiled up cowbones!! Oh gross! How can you eat that!! I think I'm going to be sick!"
you have to forgive me then, if you think that's annoying
. i was in a coach with people my own age recently who were offering their sweets to me, and each time i asked for the packet and pointed out what was in it and where it came from. for a little while afterwards, i successfully put them off their food, but come a few hours later they would have forgotten. typical. but i guess i'm different to this person you're describing cuz i abide by what i say.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
What's up with QA? Eats steak and fish, but goes off on gelatin and sausages? Sounds like she needs a new hobby.

Tell her there's sh*t in the meat, she'll stop eating that, too.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

What is she? 10? 11?
Sadly, she is fifteen.

Quote:
A way to get attention perhaps?
True, true. Probably a big part of it is the attention. Very attention seeking, is QA.

That's a good idea about telling her whats in the stuff she DOES eat. Reminds me of the time we were on a bus, and talking about gelatin, and I said,

"Hey, if you don't eat gelatin, you sure won't like pectin."

QA, looking worried, "What's pectin?"

Me: "Oh, its all the gross bits boiled up, like gelatin a bit. And it's in almost EVERYTHING. Icecream, jam, bread, even chocolate!"

QA: "Oh My God! Now I can't eat anything! Cry cry cry."

I told her it was a joke and she got really mad
and said she wouldn't be able to eat any of that anyway, because she would always PICTURE the grossness.

I love being evil.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Aww. I was kind of annoying in high school too. Sigh. I'm still kind of annoying. I'm glad there were people kind enough to put up with me.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have absolutely no idea what pectin even is (except isn't it in jam or something? A setting agent?). I just picked a weird sounding word that i didn't think she would have heard of.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Bring QA over to my house! I'll keep her busy for awhile, you can relax, and in a few days I'll have her all straightened out.
Then she'll be Queen Angelic.
She'll come away knowing the finer points of raking up cut grass and pumping up bicycle tires, and her stomach will be nice and full from my mom's homemade whole wheat bread.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Interesting. I initially quit eating any processed meat (ground meat, lunch meat, bacon, sausage, pepperoni, etc.) because I was learning what can end up in the finished product, and about butchers' hygiene (or lack thereof). Another reason was the meds I was taking (Accutane) elevated my cholesterol and triglycerides, so I also eliminated fried foods. (Well, except for spring rolls.) I did that for about 4 years before I started to eliminate meat (for AW, AR reasons). First beef and pork, then the rest about 2 months later.

What was my point? Oh. I hope I wasn't as annoying as QA. I usually just turned down whatever was offered, only explaining why if asked. QA *does* seem kind of backwards. Some of it may have to do with being 15.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gnarly

Hey, I'm 15 and I'm just perfect
I guess even perfect people have to put up with people like QA.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Oops! No offense. I know thirty/forty/fiftysomethings with less sense than some 15 year olds. (And I got married @ 17, so I can't talk.)

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Wow. That Slaughterhouse book is a real serious downer. Fast Food Nation is a good source too. That's what made my husband think that he REALLY needed to stop eating meat. I wanted to go veggie for a while before him, but that book convinced him to do it. He's never been more healthy since.

Crimminy Gritchets. What a world we live in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts