VeggieBoards banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me just say this first. I have a lot of patience and tolerance for animal behavior.

Now. There's a cat in my neighborhood that's bugging the snot out of us. It gets up on our fence and yowls at my cats. If it can't see them then it just yoooooooowwwwwwwwwls until they come to the window. It comes up to the house and peers in the windows. One of my cats just looks back at it like, "Meh," but sometimes they have a staring contest. The other seems to be totally in love with it and tries to rub noses through the window.

My cats are fixed.

When I try to call it, it runs away.

Unfortunately the yowling happens at any time during the day or night. It's becoming super annoying. It just goes on and on. I'll be on a call for work and that racket is going on in the background. You can hear it well even if the windows and doors are closed.

It has no collar but I don't think it's feral. It looks to be very healthy and spends most of its time in one of my neighbors' yards. (I haven't met them.)

When I do yard work, it creeps over me on the fence or pops its head over. This is kind of amusing but also freaky. I don't know if it's going to attack or something.

That repellant spray is dubious anyway (my one cat licks it), but there's no way I could coat the entire perimeter of my yard with it.

We've tried yelling at it. I've tried walking towards it saying, "Come here," and it freaks out and runs away (which is what I want--heh heh).

Ideas? My husband wants to turn the hose on it but of course I don't like that idea. Thank you.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Sorry, but your hubby is right: garden hose! >:D This cat has challenged you. You must rise to the occasion!

Reactions: Trippy

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
Maybe you could talk to your neighbour and see if they are responsible for it...You could ask if they are having any problems with it?

Reactions: cdferr

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I planted cacti where it used to enter the yard and now it uses a different spot.

Reactions: Ashwani

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
Thats a really clever idea! And harmless to the animal :)

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
^What idea is that? You mean the cacti....yeah...it didn't work.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I don't know how to help you, but this made my day to read it and imagine that cat lol.

Perhaps the hose would be the only way ><

Reactions: Ashwani

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seriously. It came up to the house today, gets up on its hind legs, puts its face right against the windows, and howls. The glass seems to carry the sound. lol.

I let my elderly cat out for strolls around the yard (she can't climb the fence, so it's pretty safe). The darn thing is back--laying on the fence and howling at her.

I don't know if it's trying to be friendly or territorial. I'm thinking territorial? What do you think?

The popping its head up at me was a little surreal, like Whack-A-Mole.

I don't know what it matters. Psychoanalyzing it is probably not going to help. lol. Kind of funny situation, I agree.

Reactions: Purp

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
That's so adorable ><

Reactions: Purp

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The cat sounds as though either (a) she/he hasn't been "fixed", and/or (b) is lonely, especially for the company of other cats.

If the situation is (a), then I would have him/her neutered/spayed, both for that cat's sake and the sake of any other cats with whom s/he comes into contact. (Intact cats are much more at risk for injury and disease than "fixed" cats, and pose a much higher health risk to other cats as well, apart from causing an increase in the number of homeless, neglected animals.) I do this with any cat who comes on my property. I realize that means you're going to have to get to the point of being able to pick the cat up, but from what you describe, that shouldn't be too hard to do. If you don't have the time or patience for that, then borrow a humane trap from a local shelter or rescue organization, and trap him/her so that you can take him to the vet.

I would, never, ever, spray a cat with a hose, and I'm appalled that that suggestion has been made on this board.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Funny! If the lovely little pussy does not belong to your neighbour, I think you should call the expert cat handlers, who can catch the cat & relocate it to the wild. And in case it belongs to your neighbour, then you should ask them to do something so that their cat doesn't bother you.

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
I agree with the suggestion to have it spayed or neutered. This will really calm the cat down, and stop much of its yowling. Since it has no collar, its owner (if any) will have trouble proving ownership - I'd say you are free to pick up (or trap) the cat and do the right thing by neutering it. This will also help to curb feral cat overpopulation.

Reactions: veggie man and Purp

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I agree with the suggestion to have it spayed or neutered. This will really calm the cat down, and stop much of its yowling. Since it has no collar, its owner (if any) will have trouble proving ownership - I'd say you are free to pick up (or trap) the cat and do the right thing by neutering it. This will also help to curb feral cat overpopulation.
O.O Are you seriously suggesting she kidnap the cat and force a surgery on it against it's potential human's wishes?

You are not free to kidnap pets and subject them to surgeries. Under that logic, say the cat was clawing her favorite tree. She would be "free to pick up (or trap) the cat and do the right thing by" chopping it's fingers off at the knuckles.

All attempts should be made to find the human the cat belongs to first. It is probably a neighbors cat.

If it truly has no home, then having it trapped and S/N is the best option.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
If you want to hear from this cat's humans, maybe you can get close enough for long enough to put a collar and tag around its neck. The tag should bear a truly dopey cat name and your telephone number. They'll call you, and you can say you thought he was a stray because of how he'd moved into your yard.Not sure what's supposed to happen then, but it would definitely get the conversation started and the problem out in the open.

·
Lovable misanthrope
1,398 Posts
Sounds like a normal generic cat. Cats make noise sometimes but still are much quieter than children. From all you've mentioned it doesn't sound like there is a reason for concern. Unless he kept attacking your cats I would stay away from the hose, I think it'd be unkind. If someone sprayed my cat with a hose just because it was making noise I would not be happy

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Would anyone be okay with hosing a cat that kept lurking and hunting at your bird feeder? We get nuthatches, finches, bluebirds and maybe four kinds of woodpecker here, and hate to find the leftovers after one has been catnapped. Next-door neighbor has three outdoor cats, and there's a lady keeping a whole colony of them just down the road. And of course these folks were set in their customs from years before we moved out here.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
^^^I don't see how using a hose to keep cats away from the bird feeder would be wrong. Actually, I don't know that a hose would be truly cruel in general, except in the cold weather we've been having- getting soaked in late fall through early spring, at least, could be a death sentence for an outdoor cat, wouldn't it?

Imagineaa, I can't figure out if this cat wants to be friends with yours, or wants to pick a fight. As some have mentioned, contact with this cat could be dangerous to yours... actually, I think some diseases can be spread without direct contact. But I wouldn't try to solve the problem by any method which would harm the intruder cat.

ETA: From your description of him/her, I'd probably find them more appealing than annoying. I formerly lived in a house with a large tree next to it, and at least one neighbors' cat used to climb it, jump onto the porch roof, and come in an open window.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Would anyone be okay with hosing a cat that kept lurking and hunting at your bird feeder? We get nuthatches, finches, bluebirds and maybe four kinds of woodpecker here, and hate to find the leftovers after one has been catnapped. Next-door neighbor has three outdoor cats, and there's a lady keeping a whole colony of them just down the road. And of course these folks were set in their customs from years before we moved out here.
I'd hose the neighbors who let their cats roam.

Regarding the OP, I'm also not against fixing someone else's cat. They are letting it roam into your yard in the first place which is irresponsible, and if they are letting it roam unaltered that's extremely irresponsible and in my opinion they are too dumb to have a cat. Overpopulation matters more to me than an idiot owner's "rights".

1 - 20 of 68 Posts