VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
i saw this a while ago. i thought it was a good watch, seeing as i was always a little bit confused between Animal Rights and Animal Welfare campaigns... mmm. the film's easy to understand so now there's no confusion.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Francione is good at showing the difference between AW and AR. His views about abolitionism vs. new welfarism are more controversial.

·
Registered
343 Posts
This is tough one. I think all major social change movements have a similar division. For example, among death penalty abolitionists there are two camps. One camp wants small, incremental changes that make the death penalty more humane and fair. The other camp thinks making those changes is dangerous because it makes the death penalty seem humane and fair when in fact it isn't.

I honestly think social movements need both camps. Just as some of us became vegetarian over night, others first cut out red meat, then chicken, then fish.... The quitting cold turkey method works for some, but others need more incremental small changes. They need to take baby steps. They need to be exposed to a new idea over and over before it sinks in.

I think the abolitionists move the welfare-ists forward, both of whom in turn move society as a whole forward until hopefully eventually we succeed and animals are no longer used by humans.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
"Try to tell people about veganism every day"?

Seeming relentless or obsessed is a great way to turn people away from AR rather than make them more curious about it.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

"Try to tell people about veganism every day"?

Seeming relentless or obsessed is a great way to turn people away from AR rather than make them more curious about it.
That's why you need to kidnap them and lock them in the basement, feeding them a diet of tofu and water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.