VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on the RSPCA website. I know the RSPCA isn't the best campaigning group, but I thought this article was useful. Not good news though

More Animals Suffering in Experiments

Latest Home Office figures reveal that more animals than ever are being used in experiments in the UK.

Last year, 2.73 million scientific procedures were carried out on animals, 110,000 more than in 2001 (2.62 million) - an increase of 4.2 per cent.

Bitter disappointment

The RSPCA is bitterly disappointed with the latest figures. Dr Penny Hawkins, deputy head of the Society's research animals department said: "We hear an awful lot from scientists and the government about everything they are doing to replace animals with alternatives. These figures reveal that they are failing."

A particularly worrying statistic is the number of procedures on genetically modified (GM) animals. This has jumped from 631,000 in 2001 to 710,000 in 2002. Genetic manipulation has the potential to cause suffering not only to GM animals, but to the many animals used to produce them.

The RSPCA considers that the application of GM technology is excessive and believes the implications for animals are not in any way sufficiently taken into account. The Society is calling for scientists and the Home Office to question much more closely the importance of each experiment and whether making all these GM animals is really necessary and justified.

Primate use

Primates, the subject of recent RSPCA campaigning, were used in 3,977 scientific procedures - just nine less than in 2001. The Society is relieved the figure has not increased, but wants to see far greater, and more immediate, reductions in the use of these highly intelligent animals.

It is impossible to tell from the published information what was actually done to the animals, how much suffering was caused, and for what purpose and proposed benefit.

Report submitted

The Society submitted a report to the Home Office detailing how it could make the annual statistics more meaningful. Since then, the Home Office has announced it will be tasking the Animal Procedures Committee to take this matter forward.

Dr Hawkins said: "Numbers are important, but this is about animal suffering too. The public needs to know exactly what experiments really mean for the animals concerned."

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
That's terrible... I was obviously horribly dissillusioned -- I, too, thought that surely the situation was improving. Apparently not.

·
Registered
219 Posts
We are all constantly being fooled. It just makes are fight even harder. Things would be so much easier if everyone would just tell the truth about what they are doing wether it be bad or good. I don't see the use in hidding when things are going to be found out. But I guess it's sadly working considering more then half the world is blind to it still.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a bit off-putting. But it makes me more determined to make sure people know about how crap and damn unreliable it all is.

Also the evil Procter & Gamble's profits are up, apparently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts