VeggieBoards banner

Animal Tested Products ??

7K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  CrazyCatLady 
#1 ·
Fist off, I apologise if there is already a thread about this but I can't find one.

I am a new vegan and trying to find toiletries that aren't tested on animals.

I was a bit nieve about animal testing and didn't realise there was still so much animal testing in cosmetics going on.

The hair gel I have been using was by L'Oriel. I'm really annoyed about it being tested on animals.

I was looking for non animal tested products today and didn't really know where to start. I think the bunny symbol on the back of the product is the one to look for isn't it?

Is Nivea a good company to buy from?

I really want to clean up my act.

#2 ·
L'Oreal products are all tested on animals. The Body Shop is also owned by the former which is a shame as they promote naturel products.

There are a few listings available on line for household and beauty products that are not AT. The difficulty is on where you can actually purchase them if you want to buy them on the Hight St.

Liz Earle is a very good range and they do have a range for men. They don't do AT.

http://www.gocrueltyfree.org/search/...cs&country=231

#3 ·
Yes, the bunny symbol is an indicator that it isn't tested on animals. If you buy cosmetics and toiletries from places like Whole Foods or Sprouts, you'll find that many brands aren't tested on animals. Kiss My Face and Beauty Without Cruelty are two companies with products I love.

Here is a list of companies that have products not tested on animals.
http://leapingbunny.org/shopping.php

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Yes, the bunny symbol is an indicator that it isn't tested on animals. If you buy cosmetics and toiletries from places like Whole Foods or Sprouts, you'll find that many brands aren't tested on animals. Kiss My Face and Beauty Without Cruelty are two companies with products I love.

Here is a list of companies that have products not tested on animals.
http://leapingbunny.org/shopping.php
We dont have those brands in the UK

We have a brand called BWC though. Perhaps the same thing.

As for the 'bunny' logo. The link above gocreultyfree is really the ONLY logo I would look out for. Personally I trust them above the companies who claim to be CF.
Look out for products listed on that site and you cant go wrong.

If you are looking for recommendations, I would say
Superdrug for things like toothpaste, deoderent, hairspray, shampoo, shower gel etc
Beauty Without Cruelty, Urban Decay for makeup
Astonish for household cleaners.

All BUAV approved and all very good affordable brands.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post

Superdrug is BUAV approved and marks which products are vegan, if that helps
Thank you. That is very helpful and lots of other useful info on this thread so thanks for all of your replies
)

I normally buy my toiletries from Sainsbury's supermarket but couldn't find anything that said it wasn't animal tested.
Tell a lie, one thing I found was their own brand bubble bath.
I was actually quite sickened by the realisation of how many of these products are still tested on animals.

I'll check out those website links too, cheers guys.

#7 ·
Sainsburys have just been BUAV approved. My boyfriend bought some shower gel from them a few months back and it already had the BUAV logo on the back, some items havent yet but they are getting there. Not sure about their cleaning products as I have been checking but no logo yet.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

Sainsburys have just been BUAV approved. My boyfriend bought some shower gel from them a few months back and it already had the BUAV logo on the back, some items havent yet but they are getting there. Not sure about their cleaning products as I have been checking but no logo yet.
I couldn't have been looking very hard then
)

I wasn't really looking at all of their own brand items but I'll have a proper look next time.
Whenever I'm in town I'll pop in Superdrug for some bits.

Thanks for all of your help peeps.

#9 ·
Hi,

Not sure if they do hair gel, but the company LUSH do all shower gel and bath stuff fragrances etc. It's all organic, non animl tested and vegetarian. Most of their products are vegan as well but some contain honey or yoghurt, but it will tell you on the packaging

https://www.lush.co.uk/

I would definitely recomend, their products are gorgeous and they have lots of shops accross the UK or you can order online.

Heather x

#11 ·
Oh is that why.
Quick question you might know the answer to, do St Tropez test on animals? As far I can am aware they don't and have been researching it, but I'm always concerned they have fooled people with clever wording and their ingredients might be.

#12 ·
Well...they say on their website
'Is it tested on animals'
No

Which is a bit of a blunt responce for my liking. They dont seem to be approved by BUAV or any other independant reviewer. So personally Id avoid them.
Superdrug are vegan and not tested on animals and have a self tan range

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faya View Post

Love you guys, I bought new toothpaste and mouthwash from Superdrug last night becasue of this thread.
What's the mouthwash like?

I already use their toothpaste, the whitening/senistive one, which is excellent, but I don't currently use any mouth wash and really should start.

Thanks

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Louise View Post

What's the mouthwash like?

I already use their toothpaste, the whitening/senistive one, which is excellent, but I don't currently use any mouth wash and really should start.

Thanks
I use the same toothpaste! So I also use the sensitive mouthwash (it's pink in colour). The mouthwash is alright. It doesn't taste too bad and it seems to work ok :)

Superdrug is my new favourite place to buy toiletries. I now get my hairdye from there and just bought shampoo and conditioner yesterday.

#20 ·
Snap :)

Oh brilliant, I will try the mouthwash out as well then.

Same, I love it in there. And I didn't realise they did so many different things in there. I've found substitutes for almost everything which is great including surprising things like alcohol gel handwash, hair dye like you said, and so many other things I would have never thought to buy there. Plus it's cheaper than the branded products I used to get before going veggie and finding out about animal testing etc.

Let me know what you think of the shampoo and conditioner, what one did you get exactly? I wasn't that keen, I have really dry hair, and it felt in bad condition after using them, not sure the conditioner is oily enough for me.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Dreamer View Post

The co-operative are BUAV approved. I buy their washing up liquid and toothpaste, both have the logo on etc.

Here is a link to their toiletries that have been BUAV approved :-

http://www.co-operativepharmacy.co.uk/toiletries/Co-operative/fd/c/b

Hope this has been useful :)
Thank you!

That's brilliant, I've been getting my mum to swap to BUAV approved house hold items for ages, I think I have the bathroom covered now for all her things, but she was saying she didn't like the Tesco own brand washing up liquid when I asked her not to use fairy liquid (Tesco cleaning products are approved by Nature Watch, although not BUAV, not sure why). So it's great to know we can try to Co-op one :)

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Louise View Post

Snap
smiley.gif

Oh brilliant, I will try the mouthwash out as well then.

Same, I love it in there. And I didn't realise they did so many different things in there. I've found substitutes for almost everything which is great including surprising things like alcohol gel handwash, hair dye like you said, and so many other things I would have never thought to buy there. Plus it's cheaper than the branded products I used to get before going veggie and finding out about animal testing etc.

Let me know what you think of the shampoo and conditioner, what one did you get exactly? I wasn't that keen, I have really dry hair, and it felt in bad condition after using them, not sure the conditioner is oily enough for me.
I've been using the shampoo and conditioner for a couple of weeks now, and I quite like it. My hair feels nice and it smells really nice. I've also been dying my hair with superdrugs hair dye. I'm liking that as well.

#24 ·
Loving this thread.
Since reading this I have the bathroom covered by Superdrug.
I already had Tesco own brand washing up liquid and had noticed it said not tested on animals, though I saw no logo. Is it all Tesco own brand cleaning products does anyone know? Bleach, fabric softener, polish etc?
Also, what about Tesco toiletries?
Do Superdrug have their own brand make up? I only even use mascara and eyeliner and that's probs a handful of times a year lol xxx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.