VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/...e-meat-eaters/

Quote:
SANTA MONICA (CBS) The group is called Mercy For Animalsand this animal rights group is known for being in your face.
Literally. Thursday night, they set up 80″ large screen TVs on the 3rd Street Promenade and showed the 12-minute documentary film Farm to Fridge, depicting in living color how animals are slaughtered for food.
CBS 2 weekend anchor and reporter Rob Schmitt talked to meat lovers and gauged their reaction to the disturbing images. He reported that the images shown were jarring to say the least.
The groups goal, he added, was to change dinner orders in this crowd from burgers to salads.
The mission might have worked. Schmitt talked to at least one woman choking back tears for being a meat eater.
The Mercy For Animals truck is on a nationwide tour. Other stops include Las Vegas, Miami, San Francisco, Dallas, Cleveland and Phoenix to name a few.
I think this is a great idea

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Arrrrrgh I wish I had known. I could have gone over there to witness it all (and offer a little moral support). I live RIGHT THERE in Santa Monica.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think this is the first time I've seen anything about animal rights on the internet that didn't have swarms of insecure omnivores talking about how stupid it is to be veg*n or how wonderful it is to eat meat. There was a few people who tried but the majority were good comments. I love it!

·
Registered
596 Posts
That whole segment on that news station was very positive. i wonder how much that cost mercy for animals
Its a good idea to set up a visual protest because a lot of people are more likely to stop and look at a tv screen than they are to read a flyer.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

So they just set up TV's and hope people watch? Not too creative but I'd like to think it's effective.
It's a form of tabling. Some activists strap thin tv's or Ipads to their bodies with the video playing while leafleting, too.

Activism doesn't have to be complicated or creative, you know. Often simply giving someone a well constructed booklet they can take home or showing them a good video can make a big difference in their thought process.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
This sounds great. I think a good way to reach people.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Aw, I wish they were coming to St. Louis! The Midwest is in need of some serious shock! Wonderful idea however.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

So they just set up TV's and hope people watch? Not too creative but I'd like to think it's effective.
I've heard of people doing this sort of thing down here in Florida before, but with much smaller TV's. Like they bring a 25-30 inch table top CRT screen and VCR/DVD player to some sort of street fair or something. 80 inches is a LOT of TV, so that should be a pretty big attention grabber.

--Fromper

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I don't consider MFA "in your face"---I think they are a good, respectable group. I like them a lot better than PETA.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE: http://www.fox4now.com/global/story.asp?s=14375376

Quote:
FORT MYERS - A national animal rights advocacy group is on a nationwide tour hoping to turn people vegetarian by confronting them with graphic, sometimes brutal images of animals being slaughtered.
But does it go too far?
Mercy for Animals comes to Fort Myers Beach on Monday, part of a 40-city nationwide tour.
"Consumers have a right to know where their food comes from," said Phil Letten, with the group. "Where their food comes from and how the animals are treated before they reach our plates."
Letten is driving a black truck with slogans like: "How much cruelty can you swallow?" and "Boycott animal abuse."
He's hoping to turn heads while changing what you eat.
"The most powerful action consumers can take to boycott cruelty to animals," he said, "is to adopt a vegetarian diet."
But on Monday he's taking that message to Fort Myers Beach. So if you plan to spend the day lying in the sun you could catch a glimpse of a graphic 12-minute documentary showcasing what he calls widespread cruelty.
"Farm workers have been documented stabbing animals with pitch forks and beating them with crowbars," said Letten. "And at the slaughter house these animals have their throats cut while they are fully conscious and others are scalded alive."
Letten provided Fox 4 with a copy of the graphic DVD entitled "Farm to Fridge." It shows thousands of chickens cooped up along with cows and chickens getting their throats cut.
"What do you say to families going to the beach who don't want to see this?," asked Fox 4 reporter Matt Grant.

"I would say clearly the meat industry is out of step with most American's basic values," said Letten. "When they force animals to endure cruelty so egregious that they are afraid to even watch and they are ashamed to show their children."
I think that last line says it all.

We live in a world where people shy away from learning how their food is produced because they know instinctively that what they find out will be harder to watch than the worst horror movie. If you can't bear to watch how a hotdog is made because it's too inhumane and despicable you sure as hell shouldn't be scarfing down hotdogs at the beach.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.