VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading up about the ALF and came across this interview from Walter Bond who was arrested on charges of arson against an animal products company of some kind a while back. What he said got me thinking more about how reliant the economy is on various forms of animal exploitation. I'll just copy and paste it here.

Why do you think is so difficult for our society to stop animal cruelty?

"Its difficult because subsisting off of Animals has been an integral part of human societies for a long, long time. To the point where modern society and especially the richer nations of the Earth were literally built on the blood and bones of Animals and various forms of slavery. Because of this, a world devoid of Animal use in other words, a truly Vegan world undermines not just the status quo in perception, but the entire foundation of technologically advanced civilization. It is why many people instinctively have animosity towards the concept of Animal Liberation and definitely against militant or radical Animal Liberation. Because they intuitively understand that we are not only attacking their dietary habits, but the foundation of hierarchical slavery and supremacy. Putting the Earth and Animals right to be left alone first means no new roads, construction, technology, industry, cities or transportation. Even most Vegans and activists cannot truly comprehend what a world without interspecies slavery would look like. But honestly the destruction of modern day civilization is of paramount importance if Animals are ever to live free and natural lives. This also means that we should participate in society to the least degree possible and if we are so inclined do everything within our power to disrupt, destroy or deconstruct business, industry and economy to the greatest degree possible."

Now, whilst I share his principles, I don't think his methods will lend themselves to much long-term success for animal rights. My question is not about his tactics or proposed solution though but more about his central point about how the ultimate aims of animal rights hinges, in no small part, on the weakening of our modern day economy. What are your views on this perspective?

·
Registered
30 Posts
if there is to be total animal liberation of course the economy is going to suffer. Mainstream society goods and food are mostly from exploited animals. We eat them, test our drugs/cleaning products/make up whatever on them, wear them, sell them as decorations (rabbits foot), etc..

If we stopped... think how many jobs would be lost.

A good way to hurt the industries enslaving animals is to kick them in their wallet. >.>

I'm NOT suggesting we go out and torch buildings. But I'm saying the man had a point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts