·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Activist to zoo: Wrong to save baby polar bear

Comments fuel debate over whether humans should raise abandoned cub

Updated: 6:16 a.m. PT March 20, 2007

BERLIN - Berlin Zoo's abandoned polar bear cub Knut looks cute, cuddly and has become a front-page media darling, but an animal rights activist insists it was wrong to intervene and save the cub.

"Feeding by hand is not species-appropriate but a gross violation of animal protection laws," animal rights activist Frank Albrecht was quoted as saying by the mass-circulation Bild daily, which has featured regular photo spreads tracking fuzzy Knut's frolicking.

"The zoo must kill the bear."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17703212/?GT1=9145

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I think they were right in saving him, but the real reason I'm replying to this is to say that that picture is too cute for words.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I don't see how it's any more wrong than keeping him/his mother in a zoo to start with. That he isn't fit to live in the wild actually makes it a bit more ok (to me) that he is in a zoo.

If, as the article implys, they aren't social animals to begin with and he isn't doomed to be miserable his whole life because he can't interact properly with other polar bears then I see no reason not to save him.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

If, as the article implys, they aren't social animals to begin with and he isn't doomed to be miserable his whole life because he can't interact properly with other polar bears then I see no reason not to save him.
They're not. Bears are mostly solitary animals, they usually don't interact with other bears unless it involves caring for their cubs or mating, both of which are pretty instinctually-driven.

It's definately true that some animals raised in captivity have trouble interactingly socially with their own species, but shouldn't be a problem with polar bears.

Honestly, I wish more animal activists would actually bother to do some research on the animals that they're trying to save instead of making themselves look foolish.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

They're not. Bears are mostly solitary animals, they usually don't interact with other bears unless it involves caring for their cubs or mating, both of which are pretty instinctually-driven.

It's definately true that some animals raised in captivity have trouble interacting socially with their own species, but shouldn't be a problem with polar bears.

Honestly, I wish more animal activists would actually bother to do some research on the animals that they're trying to save instead of making themselves look foolish.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It made me sad when I read that article yesterday, because he is such a cute baby bear. It sounds like he'll definitely be allowed to live, which is good.

·
Registered
486 Posts
since when does one person represent a whole movement? This is one supposed activist, and to say that he represents the movement is like saying those who bomb abortion clinics represent pro-lifers.

Everyone PLEASE tell everyone else you know that this guy is part of the lunatic fringe.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
yeah I hated the way the newspapers here presented this story.

I don't remember what paper it was but on the front (THE FRONT?!) there was an adorable picture of the cub. I was like, awwwwww
]

the headline was: "ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVISTS WANT HIM DEAD"

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Polar bear cub born in zoo abandoned by mother.

So-called ARA says cub should be put to sleep.

Heaven-sent opportunity for tabloids.

Extensive media coverage.

Cuuute Knuuut in danger! Save Knut!

Knut front-pages, Knut song, Knut blog! http://blog.rbb-online.de/roller/knut/

The masses freaking out: Aaawesome cub! Aaawful animal rights people!

The masses also eating animal parts, while watching todays Cute Knut News

·
Registered
812 Posts
awwwww. What an adorable little cub, I hate that he's being kept in a zoo though, look how he struggles to get up on that ledge.
Obviously he wouldn't be "better off" dead though. Wow, polar bear cubs are so cute!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts