VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought that in starting the 30-day vegan challenge tomorrow, I would be pretty well armed with information compared to most... turns out you learn something new every day. I just ran out of dryer sheets and, wanting to make sure I would be OK in buying new ones I googled "vegan fabric softener sheets." I was mainly concerned about just not buying from a company that tested on animals or anything like that, but I had absolutely no idea that most brands of dryer sheets contain ANIMAL FAT!
I can't believe I've been inadvertently drying all my clothes with that... ew. I just ordered some Method dryer sheets from drugstore.com that are animal ingredient free.

I'm so glad I found this out, but at the same time, I feel frustrated and disgusted anew with the amount of items that people manage to stick animal products into... .

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Do you need dryer sheets? My girlfriend said she doesn't use them. Hmm?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I received this response when I inquired about the animal fat:

Thanks for contacting Gain about our policy on research involving animals.

P&G has ended animal testing on all our finished consumer products except when required by law. We use non-animal alternatives first. We only use research involving animals when there are no other reasonable options.

In our Healthcare business, we're focused on developing innovative medicines that improve people's lives. Current regulatory standards require animal research while developing these medications. It's our policy to use the minimum number of animals necessary while working toward our goal of the reduction and replacement of animals. We continue to identify screening techniques that are acceptable to global regulatory groups to take the place of animal tests in the earliest phase of drug discovery.

Through our pet care and nutrition products, we help dogs and cats live longer, healthier lives. We feed our foods first to dogs and cats to help us develop nutrition that delivers true health benefits to millions of pets worldwide. We make sure the dogs and cats we work with receive the best care. We treat them as if they're our own pets. They are adopted into loving homes or placed in our retirement facility when their help is no longer needed. At the same time, we're working hard on alternatives to find even better ways of getting these results and eliminating the need for additional research with other animals.

We'd rather use alternative test methods. Not only is the use of animals avoided, but reliable alternative tests generally cost less and take less time than animal research. We'd like to be able to eliminate animal research on ingredients in consumer products altogether, and we're making progress. We've invested over $190 million in alternatives, making us an industry leader. We've helped develop over 50 alternative methods and have shared our work in over 300 scientific publications. We're also working with the FDA and respected animal welfare groups, such as the Humane Society of the United States, to work on reforming regulations and validating alternative methods. To learn more about what we're doing to reach our goal, please visit our website:

http://www.pg.com/en_US/sustainabili..._welfare.shtml

For additional information about alternatives, visit the following websites:
http://www.biorap.org (Biological Research for Animals & People)
http://altweb.jhsph.edu/ (Alternatives to Animal Testing site)
http://www.hsus.org/ (Humane Society of the United States site)
http://www.ampef.org/ (Americans for Medical Progress Educational Foundation)
We hope this information is helpful.

Lissa
Gain Team

·
Registered
824 Posts
You should use dryer balls instead, they've always worked wonders for me, and are far more environmentally sustainable.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
eww. that's the grossest thing i've heard in a while. i'm glad i rarely use the dryer so sheets aren't worth it for me

·
Registered
468 Posts
I was about to buy a bag of mixed vegetables made by Green Giant (potatoes, peppers, w/e) and just looked at the ingredients out of habits...there was Gelatin in there...i don't even think there was a sauce on the veggies, surprised me about as much as ur dryer sheets just did

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Yep, dryer balls work wonders. Get a simple, organic detergent too, like Dr. Bronners soap, or what I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Charlies-Soap-...9019630&sr=8-1
I suggest getting 4 balls, I'm always losing one. Discount stores have them, though I've read you can use tennis balls. Not sure about the heat with the rubber though.
Dryer sheets have all kinds of toxic stuff in them, yet people use them for all kinds of things. I've even heard of people rubbing them on cats fur to reduce static!

What a wacky response from P&G. Don't they make Iams?

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

What a wacky response from P&G. Don't they make Iams?
and Eukanuba. They're the same brand basically.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
OMG

I JUST put a load of laundry in the dryer!!! I am RUNNING downstairs to pull the softner sheets OUT!!

I just went checked my fabric softener packaging and all it says is "Biodegradable Cationic Softener"
However when I look into it online, it appears "Fatty Acid" is an ingredient!

I would have NEVER guessed and I've been veg*n for over 4 years now... it's a very rare occurrence to find something that has slipped past me for this long!!

I am SO so Ssosososososososo unhappy about this. WTF????

·
Registered
824 Posts
Never had that problem :/ I guess get ones with stubbier bumps on them if it worries you? :/

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Can someone provide a link to a reputable source that says there's animal fat in dryer sheets? I haven't been able to find anything remotely authoritative.

·
Registered
97 Posts
this is news to me. I've never heard of such a thing! thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Wow. One just never knows what is hidden where. I have never used dryer sheets myself. But who knows what else is out there!!!!! Scary.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Fatty acids can be from plants as well as animals.

I just toss some vinegar in when I wash my laundry-- I only ever used the sheets because sometimes clothes came out of the dryer still smelling a little oily because my boyfriend used the wash for his work clothes. The vinegar works well I think!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Disgusting. Now I feel like the clothes I'm wearing are covered in a layer of animal fat
Thanks so much for giving us a heads up - I need to investigate immediately!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts