VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
It's very saddening.
I was only just having a conversation with someone yesterday about the violent tactics from the anti vivisection movement in the 80's and how that had done nothing to resolve the issue of animal experiments.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Well, this sucks.
Every now and then I feel a little bit of hope that the human race may be moving away from animal testing, then I have to go and read something like this.

What's the deal with using fish more in experiments, though? Last time I checked, my anatomy was very different to a fish's.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthahook View Post

I was only just having a conversation with someone yesterday about the violent tactics from the anti vivisection movement in the 80's and how that had done nothing to resolve the issue of animal experiments.
Ending vivisection is a process. There isn't just one thing that's going to end it. By your reasoning nothing will "resolve" it - because along with more aggressive tactics there has been education and every other form of campaigning in the last 30 years, and they didn't end it either. It will take a lot of tactics, over time. And in fact, the UK is much further along the road to ending animal experimentation than the US - proportional to the size of the countries there are many fewer animals used, and more restrictions such as the illegality of experimentation on Great Apes - so I would say activists in the UK are doing something right to have held back the numbers. In the UK there are actually public debates with scientists and anti-vivisectionists to a much greater degree than in the US - and if anything I would argue that the more aggressive tactics have pushed the anti vivisection issue into the public for scrutiny, which is a substantial step towards abolishing it. For many people, I believe when they really understand what vivisection is and what it looks like, they do not support it.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Ending vivisection is a process. There isn't just one thing that's going to end it. By your reasoning nothing will "resolve" it - because along with more aggressive tactics there has been education and every other form of campaigning in the last 30 years, and they didn't end it either. It will take a lot of tactics, over time. And in fact, the UK is much further along the road to ending animal experimentation than the US - proportional to the size of the countries there are many fewer animals used, and more restrictions such as the illegality of experimentation on Great Apes - so I would say activists in the UK are doing something right to have held back the numbers. In the UK there are actually public debates with scientists and anti-vivisectionists to a much greater degree than in the US - and if anything I would argue that the more aggressive tactics have pushed the anti vivisection issue into the public for scrutiny, which is a substantial step towards abolishing it. For many people, I believe when they really understand what vivisection is and what it looks like, they do not support it.
That at least gives some reason for optimism. Do you know how many animals are killed per year in the UK? I don't recall the article giving a number. It's sad that countries still use animal experimentation today given the technology, and I'd be curious to see what reasons they give in these debates.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts