·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
smiley.gif

·
Registered
255 Posts
I completely agree with you. Although I want to pull my hair out sometimes, I get the most positive feedback when I'm just living my day to day life. When someone can see that you live a pretty normal life and be vegan it helps break some of the stereotypes and I think can help the cause more than getting upset. Also, I try to show and let people try some of the awesome food I make. Letting them try our "plain, boring, and gross" vegan food can really open people's eye to how easy it is.

In the same breath, I understand why many vegan are angry. Heck, I get angry about it it too! It's all about how you channel your anger though. Example: Yelling at someone and telling them how immoral their choices are and how bad of a person they are etc.... Bad channeling. Coming and B****ing on veggieboards with other people who know just how you feel....Good Channeling. Doing some kind of activism when you can....Good Channeling. Baking outrageous amounts of vegan cupcakes because your so mad and realizing you're going to have to take them to work and give them to omni coworkers...Maybe not the best, but Good Channeling!

This is how I think of it. Since we are a minority, any vegans actions seem to change peoples viewpoints on vegans as a whole. When in a conversation you just have to keep thinking of how to be the bigger person and to have that person walk away from you with a good impression and help break the stereotype that many people have of us.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I agree! The best outreach is being a good example, and I feel being cheerful has a lot to do with that.

But, that being said, there are a lot of angry omnis as well, it just boils down to human nature.

Just keep bein' happy, and everything will come out in the wash!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

But, that being said, there are a lot of angry omnis as well, it just boils down to human nature.
Just because someone is vegan, it doesn't make them any nicer as a person than anybody else. I don't think vegans are disproportionatly rude, smug, aragont, angry, agressive, patronising, or whatever, than the general population. I guess it's just what they're saying stands out, rather than what kind of person they are, and so it is perceived as "angry vegans" rather than just "angry people".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
smiley.gif

·
Registered
889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post

i agree! The best outreach is being a good example, and i feel being cheerful has a lot to do with that.

Just keep bein' happy, and everything will come out in the wash!
This!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I really don't understant veg*ns who become angry with omnivores, especially while trying to convert them.

First, what does being angry with a potential-vegan do? Nothing but distance them.
Secondly, most of us were not born vegans and only came to veganism later in life. It took me 25 years to get to the point where I "figured it out" and decided to become a vegan. How could I dare to expect someone to become one in the span of one conversation with me or after having read a pamphlet I gave them? If it took me 25 years, how can I have any kind of expectation of when other omnivore will "wise up" and how can I be impatient with them?

Ultimately, I always remind myself of two things I learned from reading about a wise man:

1) The moment anger enters into a debate, the conversation is no longer about the truth but about my own ego.
2) Being angry with another person is like intending to throw a hot coal at him/her, I'll most likely be the only person burned.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I'll be your friend

I do get a little angry from time to time at the state of the world (not always vegan-specific issues), but I definitely don't go around shouting at the people that don't see it my way. Anyone who does that just ends up looking ridiculous, no matter what cause they're doing it for, and people are far less likely to listen and come around to/accept a different way of thinking if this is the only approach they ever see. I prefer to change minds with my baked goods.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBravo View Post

Ultimately, I always remind myself of two things I learned from reading about a wise man:

1) The moment anger enters into a debate, the conversation is no longer about the truth but about my own ego.
2) Being angry with another person is like intending to throw a hot coal at him/her, I'll most likely be the only person burned.
+ a gabilliondy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you !!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
No Whining and complaining? I'm out!

But to the OP, I know it can be hard. I live in Northern California and I'm still the only vegan I know.

And you are doing your part. Just by being vegan. Being vegan is one of the things that cheers me up when I'm feeling down. Vegans are like anyone else. They are a mixed bag of people. You would not want to be friends with or associate with all the vegans in the world. Just like non vegans. It does help to come to the internet to forums like this. You won't always find people 100% nice (I call them the internet know it all's) but then again, that is just people.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBravo View Post

I really don't understant veg*ns who become angry with omnivores, especially while trying to convert them.

First, what does being angry with a potential-vegan do? Nothing but distance them.
Secondly, most of us were not born vegans and only came to veganism later in life. It took me 25 years to get to the point where I "figured it out" and decided to become a vegan. How could I dare to expect someone to become one in the span of one conversation with me or after having read a pamphlet I gave them? If it took me 25 years, how can I have any kind of expectation of when other omnivore will "wise up" and how can I be impatient with them?

+1
I agree that getting angry and lashing out at omni's doesn't help animals at all. People feel judged and defensive when they perceive someone as judging them. That being said, sometimes I go overboard trying to show a person that I'm not judging them but they still get offended simply because I don't eat meat I must be judging them. I am upfront with people about the fact that I spent 26 years chowing down on factory farmed animal products and the only vegan I ever met seemed crazy to me. I try to avoid judging others for meat eating and i usually am pretty successful at it but all bets are off if the omni gets nasty and insulting. In my personal relationships, I try to avoid the topic of meat,dairy,etc.
I have persuaded a couple of friends to go vegan over the years but it was always through encouragement, listening and showing them that I wasn't judging them. This will be the approach I continue with.

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
I'll usually tend to get angry when i am by myself, and may start throwing things or kicking stuff or possibly shouting. I think that it's through many years of frustration and depression, that i just have to "let loose" my emotions. My mother has suggested a couple of times that i should attend an anger management course, but honestiy this makes me feel worse, as i don't believe that could help me in any practical way. I have seen therapists before, but talking through my problems just doesn't seem to help, i need a pretty big change in my life, which just sitting down and talking with a therapist won't give me. If we all had the optimism of the Jo Bravo's of this world, then life may be different. I on the other hand have a pretty negative mindset on all sorts of issues.

I certainly don't believe that vegans are perceived by the wider non-vegan public to be angry, that is merely a generalisation, and not to be taken seriously.

·
Banned
841 Posts
As Gandhi said, "Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Certainly helps our cause too when I can honestly answer the question of "How do you stay in such great shape?" with "I'm vegan."

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
There's an entire science of psychologically applied happiness that's being pioneered and perfected by groups like Mercy For Animals and Vegan Outreach. When I've volunteered for the latter, I've learned a lot about what works and doesn't work when it comes to getting information across to somebody. Mostly, greeting them in a friendly way and trying to connect with their questions or concerns is the best route. Although in the personal case of what I sometimes do most people will either take a leaflet and say thank you or turn one down and also be polite. It consists of like 98% that and 2% actual conversations. I think that kind of work probably does more good in the world than the "other vegans" who yell into loud speakers and stuff. Sure they make more noise and get more attention but is their impact as big? I'm not personally of the opinion that all publicity is good publicity. Most people have heard of PETA but you'll very rarely hear someone singing their praises.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Generally, I'm of the opinion that you make more friends with cupcakes than with telling them they're stupid. And, in the long run, that'll help people to become more open to being vegan, or at least, eating more plant-based meals. Sure, I feel like a hypocrite watching people eat meat, but I know that making a big deal about it won't do a damn thing to stop it.

That said, I did once get very angry at another vegan. He'd tweeted something about vegans saving more lives than doctors. Firstly, the two are not comparable; there is a huge gap between not eating meat, and dedicating your entire career to saving lives. Secondly, it's inaccurate. The 'saving lives' thing is complicated. After all, all the cows currently being raised for meat will be slaughtered. But, since we won't be buying them, the price will have to drop, and less will be born next year. Is that saving lives?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.