VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I was in a baking mood so I printed some recipes, picked up some stuff from the whole foods store, and headed home with a mission! After slaving away for a few hours I had in my possession the most amazing chocolate chip cookies and pecan brownies I've ever tasted!

Unfortunately, I'm on a diet and don't need to be eating this stuff >_< So I brought the treats to work today and shared them with the coworkers who tease me so much about my veganism.

I must say everyone was a bit hesitant to try them at first but within an hour, they are all gone
Only a few crumbs remain and I feel very proud of myself. 2 people actually hung around my cubicle munching on the cookies and asked me quite a bit about why I chose to go vegan and the issues behind it and whatnot. They actually seemed interested and told me that they think it's great but they are too old to give up meat but I told them it was never too late!

I'm just so smiley right now and yea they're still going to tease but I just feel good that they enjoyed the sweets. I even brought some over to some other friends in other departments and everyone loved them
Noone believed they were vegan and organic until I told them. So YAY! Score 1 for us!


Oh recipes were found on vegweb.com

brownies - http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6640.0

cookies - http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6355.0

Oh and I attached a picture, I hope it worked.
LL
LL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Hey Lani,

Isn't it funny how people automatically assume that anything vegan just won't taste as good!

Here's another simple recipe to help you win friends and influence people:

Get some Mejool Dates, and then slit them open and stuff with raw, unsalted almond butter, and stick a single almond on top. (I do all organic).

This one is vegan and totally health and is to die for, so it should really shock the heck out of everyone and open their eyes a bit.

BTW, if you make this, be sure the dates you get are soft fresh ones, instead of old and dried out.

Best of Luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea they thought I made them with tofu and sprouts... I've never had a Date before, where would I find them? I've never had almond butter before but I <3 almonds. May have to try this Friday when I get paid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
They should have the almond butter and dates at the whole foods store. Where I shop they have the dates available to buy in bulk by the pound, over in the section where the fruit is kept. You pick the dates out of the bin with a tongs thingy. Sometimes dates come pre-packed too. Almond butter and dates are expensive, but its rich stuff that should go aways. I usually put around a teaspoonful of almond butter inside each date.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Those treats look yummy! Cool that your co-workers ate them and loved them. Good to get those who are anti-vegan to realize our food is good!

I may have to make those treats myself, I love baking! I can't resist a good vegan baked good. Maybe I will give some to my co-workers too, if I don't eat them all first haha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
Awesome!. I guess for non vegans, it can be hard to imagine cooking without eggs and or dairy. Esepcially if these are staples in their diet.

I love baking, hate cleaning up..So I enjoy half of the process, no good.

Confession?...my fridge is 75 percent filled up with these baking products that I hardly ever use. Of course I don't want moths to get them so I keep them in the fridge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,217 Posts
I love those pics!


I'm inspired. I also work in a veg-tolerant environment, and I KNOW if I did some baking, my coworkers would inhale whatever I brought in. So...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hah well I have more pics at http://victimofthemodernage.com/pics/vegangoodies but didn't want to attach them all :p

And yea it was nice to get thank yous all day for the sweets instead of "what ruffage are you eating now?"

They said the new person always has to bring everyone ice cream... I don't believe them but am thinking of bringing in 3 gallons of some soy ice cream and letting them taste just how good that stuff is!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
I just made that brownie recipe you posted and I can't wait to eat them. They smell yummy! I will have to tell you what I think of them and post a pic.

I may give some to my sister because she is always saying that vegan desserts aren't as good as the real thing. She is also afraid to eat anything I make, cause heaven for bid, it may have tofu in it. She will be shocked to know these brownies have no tofu in them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganClaudia View Post

Hey Lani,

Isn't it funny how people automatically assume that anything vegan just won't taste as good!

Here's another simple recipe to help you win friends and influence people:

Get some Mejool Dates, and then slit them open and stuff with raw, unsalted almond butter, and stick a single almond on top. (I do all organic).

This one is vegan and totally health and is to die for, so it should really shock the heck out of everyone and open their eyes a bit.

BTW, if you make this, be sure the dates you get are soft fresh ones, instead of old and dried out.

Best of Luck.
This is my FAVOURITE snack. These are so scrummy. And easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
This is a great idea to 'witness' to omnis. With all of the utterly unnecessarily added dairy, eggs, and animal derivaties to so many processed foodstuffs, it's easy to understand why omnis think nothing vegan would taste good. If food companies manufactured bananas they'd find a way to insert trace amounts of eggs or something, just for the merry heck of it. Now I'm off to find some recipes to make a lot of Vegan Christmas cookies!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
OMG I made the brownies last night... I skipped the step of thickening the water with some flour, and just combined like I usually would (50 stirs, no more, no less, then fold in the chocolate chips and nuts)~ and they turned out WONDERFULLY. Thick and fudgy, gooey, delicious! Just like I want my brownies!

This is seriously the BEST from-scratch brownie I have ever made. And I've tried many recipes. These were my first vegan brownies so this is a really good thing. My chocolate and I cannot be parted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Three galons sp?. of vegan ice cream is going to cost you, remember my vegan ice cream rant?.
Well gallons, quarts, whatever those standard bottles are lol

I am not very good with size comparisons
I think they're only $7 each at Whole Foods in BR. Just gotta drive out there to pick em up and that's the tricky part
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by krista82 View Post

I just made that brownie recipe you posted and I can't wait to eat them. They smell yummy! I will have to tell you what I think of them and post a pic.

I may give some to my sister because she is always saying that vegan desserts aren't as good as the real thing. She is also afraid to eat anything I make, cause heaven for bid, it may have tofu in it. She will be shocked to know these brownies have no tofu in them.
Oh don't keep me in anticipation
How did they come out???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

OMG I made the brownies last night... I skipped the step of thickening the water with some flour, and just combined like I usually would (50 stirs, no more, no less, then fold in the chocolate chips and nuts)~ and they turned out WONDERFULLY. Thick and fudgy, gooey, delicious! Just like I want my brownies!

This is seriously the BEST from-scratch brownie I have ever made. And I've tried many recipes. These were my first vegan brownies so this is a really good thing. My chocolate and I cannot be parted.
YAY! I'm glad you liked them
I certainly loved them as well. Wish I didn't burn the outside though
I had to cut off an inch all around and that was all wasted brownie
But the inside was delicious and gooey and chewy


Ohhhhh I shouldn't have come back to this thread though. I've got such a sweet tooth right now. And it makes me so mad that it's impossible to find a non-dairy chocolate bar. If it says DARK chocolate why do they need milk in them? *sigh* I guess it's for the best though. Wouldn't be losing weight if dairy free chocolate was so easy to get
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top