VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am new to VB, so forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place.<br><br>
Since Im assuming that most of you are animal lovers, Id appreciate your insights into this ongoing dilemma. I am a nursing student, and two required classes are Anatomy and Phisiology I and II. I completed A&P I, and I now have the same instructor for A&P II. One of the laboratory assignments in the first class was to dissect a fetal pig. I had a strong grade in the class, and on ethical grounds, refused the dissection and took a 0 for a grade. This semester, in Anatomy II, we study Gross Anatomy, and are assigned a human cadaver. During the first day of the dissection, my instructor told me she thought it was weird that I would dissect a human body, but not the fetal pig. I reasoned that humans die of natural causes and are capable of making a decision to donate their body to science, and the aborted fetal pigs obviously arent. She told me that I was being irrational and hypersensitive. What do you think? Is my reasoning sound? If my teacher is right, is it inappropriate for me to dissect the cadaver. (If I dont, I probably wouldnt pass the class.) Please let me know what you think!<br><br><br><br>
Sarah

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I totally agree with you. For one, if it is solely for OUR benefit (I mean, you aren't learning how to nurse piglets, right), why shouldn't WE make the sacrifice? Why should another being make the sacrifice for no benefit to it or its species?<br><br><br><br>
Also, you are right- the human cadavers CHOSE to have their bodies used that way- they weren't "grown", then aborted for that purpose. They lived a life.<br><br><br><br>
Sheeesh. Why would that be hard for anyone to understand?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts