VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

Who?
She's a Brazillian fashion model who basically starved herself to death.

Quote:
In September, Spain caused a storm in the fashion world when Madrid barred models below a certain weight from its top fashion show. Models with a body-mass-index (BMI), which takes into account height and weight, of less than 18 were banned.

Reston's BMI was just 13.5 while the World Health Organization considers anyone with a BMI below 18.5 underweight. A BMI below 17.5 is one of the criteria for the diagnosis of anorexia nervosa and a BMI nearing 15 is usually used as an indicator for starvation.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...2658270&page=2

See also:

http://www.modelsblog.info/index.php...s-of-anorexia/

·
Banned
2,081 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:

I know this since it was posted in the OP. I just wondered if I should know her?
I don't know. How many Armani catalogs do you have lying around your house?

Quote:

Or why it's any different than the <insert number here> people who die of anorexia every day.
For one thing, she was being paid (arguably) to be excessively thin. Spain has a minimum BMI law presumably because the modeling industry cannot be trusted to police themselves and police the models. This industry has a vast impact on our society, so to the extent that this woman was held up as a "role model" (pun very much intended), it affects the public much more than an unknown woman who dies of this disease--however unfortunate that might be.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Veggie: I agree. I just don't normally see threads on them, so it made me wonder.

Joe: I know, thats why I asked if I should know her.

And the only armani i care for is the cologne on a guy.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
I wonder what VB's own (newbie) "AnorexicVegan" thinks of this? You there?

hi AnorexicVegan!
I guess its the old cliche, let this be a reminder to you.. (not that you need reminding probably) but anyway welcome to VB!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Veggie: I agree. I just don't normally see threads on them, so it made me wonder.

Joe: I know, thats why I asked if I should know her.

And the only armani i care for is the cologne on a guy.
The reason why I created a thread on it is to show the dangers of anorexia. Maybe if just one person fighting the disease reads about it they will be reached and it may help them to overcome the battle. It can't hurt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts