VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just a little fed up with this backwards world I am forced to live in. This is a rant. You don't have to read.

---

I'm a Veganfor a few reasons. First, I believe humans, as a species, aren't carnivores or omnivores, but herbivores. (I'm actually doing a speech in college about this, and I'm worried everyone will think I'm a damn nut.) Second, milk is for babies and eggs ARE babies.

I'm also an Organic eater (term for this?
) for only one reason. I don't feel like poisoning myself anymore. Do you actually know whats in those oreos?

Why does everyone look at me funny when I say I'm a Vegetarian (I found it easier than saying Vegan.)

I should be looking at them funny, those flesh-eating maniacs!

"So, can you eat chicken casserole?"

Um, no.

"Here, have some tuna salad!"

Eh. No!

"Drinking milk is GOOD for you! Haven't you seen those ads on TV?"

Hahhahhah! Yeah right!

"Don't you miss steak?! Steak is your FAVORITE!"

Not anymore.

"Aren't you weak/cold/pale? Where do you get your protein/calcium/vitamins/energy?"

I will kill you now.

These idiot questions make me want to vomit. It's so sad how many people don't understand nutrition on it's most basic level. Abstaining from meat isn't an "alternative lifestyle" like it's labeled, it's THE lifestyle. Why do people look at me as if I'M the unhealthy one?!

Just because, at some point in our existence, we became intelligent enough to decide we'd hunt and eat animals, then corral them, then breed them, then make machinery that will kill, skin, cut and package en mass doesn't mean it's right. We were also smart enough to create cigarettes and drugs but who's telling you those are fine and dandy? Even if our brains adapted quickly to eating meat doesn't mean our bodies have.

Maybe back thousands of years ago when our jaws were thick and strong, our teeth were more deadly and our bodies meant for hard work... maybe then we were meant to eat meat. We're not apes anymore.

We're (supposed to be, believe it or not) slender, lean animals. We have long dexterous fingers topped with soft nails. Our mouths are meant for grinding and snipping, not ripping and cutting flesh. Our saliva and stomachs aren't acidic enough to deal with muscle and sinew. Our long intestines are for the slow digestion of vegetation and fibrous materials. Does it look like we can go outside with a small group of pals and take down a full grown cow? (Why do we eat cows anyway? Why pigs and chickens? That's an entirely new rant.)

No matter how many labels we put on ourselves we are only gentle, hairless animals. The spears and the guns and the cattle prods only came along with this sick little thing we call the Human Condition- how are we, why are we, how can we, why can we? Because we are, because we can. "Because we can" has never meant "because it's right".

I wonder if I should put any of that in my speech?

·
Banned
16 Posts
I do always find it stupid when I see somebody who does eat meat...offer a vegitarian something meat related in a completely serious way, even when they know they're a vegitarian. It's kinda like...uhhh, what part don't you get?

·
Registered
167 Posts
If I hear someone offer me tuna once more, I will...harm them XD

I really like how you've put that. At another forum I go to I've tried to argue that but it never came out that well. I completely agree, we should be smarter than the cave man. A vegetarian lifestyle is the only lifestyle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey that is a pretty good rant!
My thoughts exactly! I think you should use it in your speach because it makes perfect sense! I just wish more people would understand our lifestyle and read up on it before making silly comments about it. I am curious to know how your speach turns out so please let us know
I wish you the best of luck

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey! Thanks a lot guys. You made me feel better. I've been searching the internet and getting a lot of Anti-Veg*n crap and it's really depressing me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hey, nice rant! I agree with it all. Just stick with it - in this day and age, I think that every single vegetarian and vegan is doing something important just by staying the course. Our lives are a protest.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's a cultural thing. People, as a group, are afraid of people who won't "fit in"... geez, you have a mind of your own... that's dangerous !

For a better perspective, you may also want to remind your interlocutors of the fact that there are more populations on this earth who eat mainly vegetarian food than people who eat animals on a daily basis. But of course that wouldn't work. Because "our" people here think they have reached the summum of civilization and all those other people have not yet caught up with the western (read "higher") level of ... ummm.... civilization?!

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberkibbles View Post

First, I believe humans, as a species, aren't carnivores or omnivores, but herbivores. (I'm actually doing a speech in college about this, and I'm worried everyone will think I'm a damn nut.)
You can believe that if you choose, but you would be wrong.

Quote:
Second, milk is for babies and eggs ARE babies.
Um, eggs are not babies.

Quote:
Just because, at some point in our existence, we became intelligent enough to decide we'd hunt and eat animals, then corral them, then breed them, then make machinery that will kill, skin, cut and package en mass doesn't mean it's right. We were also smart enough to create cigarettes and drugs but who's telling you those are fine and dandy? Even if our brains adapted quickly to eating meat doesn't mean our bodies have.
Hhmmm...if we aren't omnivores, why did we do all of that?

Quote:
Our mouths are meant for grinding and snipping, not ripping and cutting flesh. Our saliva and stomachs aren't acidic enough to deal with muscle and sinew. Our long intestines are for the slow digestion of vegetation and fibrous materials.
I suggest you do some research. Hint: start with actual sites related to biology and anthropology.

Quote:
Does it look like we can go outside with a small group of pals and take down a full grown cow?
Um, well, humans have for thousands of years.

Quote:
(Why do we eat cows anyway? Why pigs and chickens? That's an entirely new rant.)
Because they didn't get away?

Quote:
No matter how many labels we put on ourselves we are only gentle, hairless animals.
Gentle? Does Rwanda ring a bell? The Sudan? The Holocaust?

Quote:
I wonder if I should put any of that in my speech?
Not if you plan to pass.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:

I'm a Veganfor a few reasons. First, I believe humans, as a species, aren't carnivores or omnivores, but herbivores.
Some people also believe the Earth is flat. Humans, as a species, are omnivorous.

Quote:

eggs ARE babies.
Eggs aren't babies, if they were then women should be arrested for homicide flushing tampons down the toilet.

Quote:

I'm also an Organic eater (term for this?
) for only one reason. I don't feel like poisoning myself anymore.
Because eating plants grown on farms that use synthetic pesticides instead of plant-based ones is equivalent to eating arsenic.

Quote:

"Aren't you weak/cold/pale? Where do you get your protein/calcium/vitamins/energy?"

I will kill you now.
The principals of non-violence apparently do not apply to humans.

Quote:

Abstaining from meat isn't an "alternative lifestyle" like it's labeled, it's THE lifestyle.
...which is why vegetarians vastly outnumber meat-eaters.

(I do dislike the term "alternative lifestyle", but that applies to any usage of the phrase.)

Quote:

We were also smart enough to create cigarettes and drugs but who's telling you those are fine and dandy?
You'd be surprised.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I agree with your rant. Technically, since the majority of the world's population eats meat, humans are omnivores. But people are designed to eat plants. If a person went on a totally plant-based diet they can live but a person on a totally meat-based diet would die of heart attack and scurvy. Humans began eating meat when they got smart enough to realize that rocks can be carved into spears, which could kill an animal for food. I think it is about time humans grow even smarter than that and realize, "Hey, eating animals' flesh is disgusting and wrong, and we can totally live by a plant-based diet! It's about time that we stop eating meat!"

·
Registered
597 Posts
Why get annoyed at peoples questions, or if they are offering you something. They are, in most cases, simply trying to understand or to be nice. Educate them, don't be snide. I cringe when people find out I am a vegetarian. We get all these embarassing labels because of people who have to look down their nose at omnivores.

Sorry, that is MY rant.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
*thumbs up* I feel the same way.

When I get asked why I am a vegetarian, I tend to reply because my natural instincts kicked in and I followed them.

It can be a bit isolating at times when there's so many ethical vegetarians who believe they are omnivores not eating meat for ethical reasons.

I might add though, that I wouldn't call vegetarianism the ONLY diet.

There are reasons to eat a diet that isn't our natural one and go on an omnivore diet. Reasons can include poverty, geographical location and health conditions which create special needs.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_0810 View Post

Iechnically, since the majority of the world's population eats meat, humans are omnivores.
No, not just technically. Our biological profile is that of an omnivore.

Quote:
But people are designed to eat plants.
Yes, along with nuts, grains, and meat.

Quote:
If a person went on a totally plant-based diet they can live but a person on a totally meat-based diet would die of heart attack and scurvy.
Depends on which plants.

Quote:
Humans began eating meat when they got smart enough to realize that rocks can be carved into spears, which could kill an animal for food.
Humans scavenged meat well before that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here are a few constructive comments for you, I hope!

1) It is not true that humans are the only primates who hunt. Recently researchers found that chimps were fashioning spears to hunt bushbabies. Interestingly, it was the females mostly who did the hunting. See: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ps-spears.html

However, just because something is in our nature does not make it right.

2) Although there are a lot of vegetarians out there in the world, for a lot of them, it was not a lifestyle choice like it was for you. It is based mostly on religious beliefs, and consider that most Indians I know drink milk and eat cheese. Also, Indians in general are malnourished (this is info from one of my profs), he said that many times American-born Indian children are taller due to better diets. So... possibly not a good health example.

FYI, being in a majority does not make something right.

3) Should humans be drinking milk?? Well, the reason why we even can drink milk is interesting enough. Droughts long ago killed a lot of people in Africa and Western Europe. The survivors made it because they could handle lactose. These droughts did not affect Asia, which is why a lot of Asians cannot handle lactose or casein.

The most interesting/disturbing thing about milk today is where it comes from and what is coming with it. My friend's daughter stared going into puberty at age ~5. The doctor told her to stop giving her daughter excessive amounts of milk and the development stopped.

4) Should humans be eating meat?? Meat eaters always harp on veg's for protein, iron, calcium. Well, after listening to Berkeley prof Nancy Amy speak on Human Nutrition, it appears that at least iron and calcium are a lot harder for our system to absorb from animal sources than from plant sources.

Another point she made is that meat eaters in the US typically eat like 2 or 3 times more protein per day than they need. Protein requirements are a lot lower than many think.

5) Another point is that not too many years ago everything was "organic." Most people's grandparents likely ate locally grown, organic foods. Switching to non-organic means of food production is an ongoing human experiment where we do not yet know the outcome.

Good luck with your presentation. Stick to the facts!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry, one more point... Eating at the base of the food chain is also MUCH, MUCH more energetically efficient. That is a really good point when considering the energy crisis and food shortages. The ecological costs of major ag is pretty high as well, most dead lakes I've seen were the result of pig sewage runoff. Overfishing, etc.

Remember, people are not designed, they evolve! Even for digestion.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Personally I think we should all become vegetarians not necessarily because we are meant to, but because we have an elevated state of conciousness that allows us to make choices based on ethical reasoning. I wouldn't have a clue if what I'm doing is actually right, but I'm doing what I feel is right and what I believe is right. So, I live my life as best I can, I don't support things that I think are wrong. jeff_veg is right, we are a living protest, and thats why I'm going vegetarian. Still, I'm not going to go up to every meat eater alive and tell them that they are wrong, because I don't know if they are or not. All I can do is give them the facts and let them decide.

That said, I am a firm believer that every compassionate person, when faced squarely with every fact, wouldn't eat meat, or would at least try to find ways to stop the cruel treatment of animals.

If it's what you believe, say it. Just make sure you use lots of quotes and source them to reliable information.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts