VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a few hours ago I ate some cake that was not vegan without thinking about it. I simply ate the cake because I don't typically turn down cake when offered (I am a new vegan). I feel a TAD BIT better because I didn't purchase it from a company who would only replace it, but it was a one-time event. It still sucks

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had tips to prevent this sort of thing from happening until it becomes habit (like no meat is a habit now).

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I politely decline pretty much anything that I haven't made myself. Had a nice lady from the restaurant downstairs from my work bring me some minestrone soup, but declined because I'm pretty sure it's made with chicken broth. People generally aren't offended. I wouldn't even give them a reason, just 'No, thank you."

Good luck, and don't feel bad

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, that seems like the better option right now. At least until realizing these things becomes more second-nature.
BTW:Minestrone is tomato based. While sometimes it can contain chicken, oftentimes it does not.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaJuice View Post

Alright, that seems like the better option right now. At least until realizing these things becomes more second-nature.
BTW:Minestrone is tomato based. While sometimes it can contain chicken, oftentimes it does not.
Better safe than eating chicken juice

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, but just if you are ever eating out, if you don't see the chicken, it isn't there. Except of course if this is one of those weird chef's who doesn't know about vegans OR food.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Try not to be too hard on yourself. It is very hard to turn down cake. One thing you can do is try to prevent temptation in the future. If you're going to an event where you know there will be sweets, perhaps you can bring your own vegan sweets.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaJuice View Post

yeah, but just if you are ever eating out, if you don't see the chicken, it isn't there. Except of course if this is one of those weird chef's who doesn't know about vegans OR food.
I don't think this is true. Chicken stock is very commonly used in cooking, even in things you might not expect. I have had to turn down many vegetable soups, and even rice dishes, because I was told they were made with chicken stock. When I first went vegetarian I found a tomato basil soup that I loved, and after my third tub, decided to read the ingredients, and there was chicken stock. I checked every soup they had (this was at Safeway) and they were all made with chicken stock. The cream of broccoli, the vegetable, the minestrone, the lentil.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Just say "no thanks." you can add "I'm vegan" if you want.

If that makes you uncomfortable you can say, "I just ate" or "I'm on a diet" or "my stomach can't tolerate that" or whatever.

If it's a situation where you have some prep tim and you anticipate nonvegan foods then you can prepare by bringing your own food, eating ahead of time, or politely requesting a vegan option before the event.

There are bound to be a few awkward moments but they'll pass and life will go on. Stay strong.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It wasn't really about the pressure. It was just an unthinking moment. Vegetarianism is a habit after seven years, veganism is not in less than a week.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a similar slip-up a couple days ago. I was at work making a delivery to one of my customers. A bunch of dudes were standing around with bags of popcorn. They asked if I wanted some to which I replied "I appreciate it, but not thank you." Well, then there was peer pressure. "Get this man some popcorn" kinda stuff. It smelled good, so I finally I accepted and walked away with a bag of popcorn. Few commercially popped popcorns contain real butter, but I think there's usually natural butter flavor in the seasoning, in other words dairy/milk. Anyway the popcorn didn't even taste good. It was so greasy, I know I'll have an easier time passing next time...

By the way, I was offered cake by a co-worker later that evening, and I declined

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Being sad that you ate the cake, will help you remember next time.
Valid point, my friend. I'll try to hold on to how I felt when I realized what I had just mindlessly done.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Time and training! ...and discovering how good cake is without eggs or dairy!
When you decline you can mention Chloe Coscarelli- the Food Network Cupcake Wars winner. All vegan, all good.

http://chefchloe.com/vegan-recipes.html

Just one example.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I am a somewhat unique case around here. I come from an omni family, but one that consumes far less meat than most. My father, who does most of the cooking at home, actually enjoys certain foods better without animal products in them, even before I became a vegetarian. Therefore, I tend to assume more often than I should that the food I am being offered is animal friendly.
Things like meat in spaghetti sauce, greens, and beans or things like milk in smoothies and a creamy based salad dressing were completely foreign to me even as an omni kid. It's hard to break the mentality that most things don't have stuff like that in it and realize many people think that every dish NEEDS animal-products to be good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts