VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woo I'm off on holiday next week, going to Amsterdam for 4 days. Its a popular holiday destination, I'm sure someone heres been.

I have looked it up on Happy Cow and there seems to be a few vegan friendly places. However, I am going with a hardcore omni who cannot have a meal without meat, and is very fussy to add to that. So vegetarian resteraunts are out of the window haha. What is food like in omni resteraunts? I hear that most people speak English very well, but Im not sure whether that will include knowing what vegan is (although "vegetarian no dairy no eggs" should be ok I guess). Am I just going to live off fries for 4 days?! Ugh I hope not.

Also Im not sure how to word this without infringing any rules, but I would be looking to buy cakes or cookies of the type which amsterdam is famous for. Do vegan ones of these exist there? (If this question isnt ok I'll happily edit it out on a mod's request)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Oh yeah, bring on the brownies. I don't see why a mod would have a problem with the question; after all, you're not planning on er... doing any *ahem* drugs are you? Good luck with egg-free cakes though, I even had trouble finding those in the vegan/gluten free section of Sainsbury's today. Maybe some places might do special requests? Anyways, have fun. I'm totally going to the Dam sometime when I'm older.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was in Amsterdam last year. Although I was still a l/o vegetarian then so wasn't looking specifically for vegan. However, they do have a fair few Indonesian and Greek restaurants where you should be able to find something to suit- and plenty of bars and cafes that do veggie burgers and veggie breakfasts. The traditional Dutch diet is quite heavy on eggs and cheese but Amsterdam should not really present too much of a problem as it is so cosmospolitan. The frites sauce will be a no no for you though....I think in my newly veganised state I would have to take some vegan mayo with me for that purpose to stop me falling off the wagon!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm originally from Amsterdam. It certainly is a lot easier than in Tokyo. A lot of the choices in general restaurants I came across were heavy on the cheese though. A place like 'de Jaren' close to Munt square was a welcome omni restaurant with an all you can eat salad bar. Indonesian food like mentioned above can be great, Gado Gado is a great dish. But ask for use of trassi (shrimp paste I think) in other dishes. I've had some Indonesian restaurants think shrimp was vegetarian. Also their sambal (hot sauces) are I think always not vegetarian. When in Amsterdam I often go with Indonesian friends to Sie Joe, a omni Indo restaurant close to Dam square. Tibetan and Chinese can also go well together with omnis.

I haven't heard about vegan space cakes, but have never looked for them either. I had some great vegan food at the Bolhoed (which you can probably find at Happy Cows) if you happen to venture out on your own.

edit - don't know about people knowing what vegan means, but I always forgo the word and say I don't eat meat, fish, cheese, milk.

Have fun..

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah cheers guys thats helpful. My friend wouldnt eat greek or indonesian, so I doubt we'll go anywhere near them though. Its literally burger, pizza, pasta, chicken nuggets - that kinda diet haha. She does eat chinese, but its the only cuisine I dont like whoops. I guess its better than starving. I saw on Happycow theres a few falafel places, so I could eat a crappy salad in a resteraunt then get falafel and eat it as we go home or something.

I'm off tomorrow. woo. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
FYI, okay to discuss pot/cannabis wrt Amsterdam, as it's legal there (in some venues).

We were there for about 6 hours one day.
It's quite beautiful, and I'd love to go back!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Will your friend eat Indian? There are some really nice Indian places in Amsterdam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensai View Post

I had some great vegan food at the Bolhoed
Taking into account that people tend to have different expectations and experiences in the same restaurant, I just wanted to add that I've been there a couple of times and I thought it was over rated. The standard of food was not what I expect and the service was really slow.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope my friend will not eat indian : ( shame as its my favourite and everyone else going loves it. shes really skinny and doesnt eat much as it is, so i wouldnt want to drag her somewhere she wont eat.

I wish I could print out the happy cow info and bring it with me! Maybe I will, hmmm.

@Jen its handy to know you can talk about drugs in places theyre legal. I wasnt sure as its not legal where VB is based. I want space cakes damnit. Some people going dont really like drugs, so I'd feel a bit mean sitting there smoking haha.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys I'm back. Had an awesome time. Thought I'd give a rundown on what I ate in case it helps anyone else in the future! Worth pointing out I never eat breakfast (bad Liz I know) so its not listed here.

Monday: went to an italian resteraunt for lunch. I got a 'mixed vegetable' pizza with no cheese. I pulled the mushrooms off, and gave the olives to my friends (great the only 2 vegan foods i dont like both on my pizza). The rest of it was onion, pepper, artichoke, corgette/zucchini and aubergine/eggplant. never had sliced aubergine on a pizza before, was nice.
For dinner went to a random little cafe. the menu was cheese toasties, hamburgers, etc. I had some fries covered in about a litre of ketchup.

Tuesday: lunch - went in this bar/cafe which mainly sold pancakes. they also did tapas though. so i had fries, and mini vegetable samosas.
dinner - a quick lunch on the go as we were running late to this organised pub crawl thing. my omni friends went to mcdonalds, i went to a falafel place across the road. lovely falafel! there was a burger king, but they do not sell any kind of veggie burger.

Wednesday: lunch - went to the same bar/cafe/tapas place. my friends reaaallly wanted pancakes, and nowhere else seemed to sell any food OTHER than pancakes. i had fries and mini spring rolls.
dinner - went to an italian resteraunt. i had a vegetable pizza with no cheese (and this time asked for no mushrooms). it had artichoke, olives (which i managed to eat this time wheeee) and pepper on it.

thursday: lunch - went to a supermarket and bought picnic stuff. mine was 2 mini baguettes and a pot of chilli hummus. and some crisps, and mango.
dinner - didnt have any as were so full from eating too much picnic food.

so there we go. Going to omni-only resteraunts in Amsterdam is possible - as long as you like pizza and fries haha. There were loads of resteraunts called "Maoz Vegetarian" but i never saw what they sold. If you like falafel you'll be OK, as theres a falafel place on every corner. oh and i never found vegan space cakes.

I have a friend who lived in Holland for 9 months, so he told me the words for cheese milk and eggs. tbh almost everything was in english anyway if not the people speak english well. on the back of packets when buying food, there were no english ingredients lists, but they often had french/german etc - i basic french and a little german so could read the ingredients. they also have handy symbols on the food, such as a glass of milk with a cross through it to show its dairy free gluten free etc

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Hi guys I'm back. Had an awesome time. Thought I'd give a rundown on what I ate in case it helps anyone else in the future! Worth pointing out I never eat breakfast (bad Liz I know) so its not listed here.

Monday: went to an italian resteraunt for lunch. I got a 'mixed vegetable' pizza with no cheese. I pulled the mushrooms off, and gave the olives to my friends (great the only 2 vegan foods i dont like both on my pizza). The rest of it was onion, pepper, artichoke, corgette/zucchini and aubergine/eggplant. never had sliced aubergine on a pizza before, was nice.
For dinner went to a random little cafe. the menu was cheese toasties, hamburgers, etc. I had some fries covered in about a litre of ketchup.

Tuesday: lunch - went in this bar/cafe which mainly sold pancakes. they also did tapas though. so i had fries, and mini vegetable samosas.
dinner - a quick lunch on the go as we were running late to this organised pub crawl thing. my omni friends went to mcdonalds, i went to a falafel place across the road. lovely falafel! there was a burger king, but they do not sell any kind of veggie burger.

Wednesday: lunch - went to the same bar/cafe/tapas place. my friends reaaallly wanted pancakes, and nowhere else seemed to sell any food OTHER than pancakes. i had fries and mini spring rolls.
dinner - went to an italian resteraunt. i had a vegetable pizza with no cheese (and this time asked for no mushrooms). it had artichoke, olives (which i managed to eat this time wheeee) and pepper on it.

thursday: lunch - went to a supermarket and bought picnic stuff. mine was 2 mini baguettes and a pot of chilli hummus. and some crisps, and mango.
dinner - didnt have any as were so full from eating too much picnic food.

so there we go. Going to omni-only resteraunts in Amsterdam is possible - as long as you like pizza and fries haha. There were loads of resteraunts called "Maoz Vegetarian" but i never saw what they sold. If you like falafel you'll be OK, as theres a falafel place on every corner. oh and i never found vegan space cakes.

I have a friend who lived in Holland for 9 months, so he told me the words for cheese milk and eggs. tbh almost everything was in english anyway if not the people speak english well. on the back of packets when buying food, there were no english ingredients lists, but they often had french/german etc - i basic french and a little german so could read the ingredients. they also have handy symbols on the food, such as a glass of milk with a cross through it to show its dairy free gluten free etc
Did you still smoke?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ yeah just once, if you really want to know. One of my friends who went isnt a fan of drugs, which is why I wanted a space cake in the first place - its less unfair to sit there eating a cake compared to smoking a big fat joint! she didnt mind sitting in a "coffee shop" for half an hour in the end, so while i smoked my friends ate cake. we were going to be tourists rather than get wasted - i dont get why people go on holiday just to do that. we saw anne franks house, van gogh museum, went to parks, amsterdam dungeons etc etc.

tbh the drug culture was different from what i expected. i thought thered be tons of people walking around the street with joints hanging out their mouths, but it was all restricted to the coffee shops. you got the quite frequent whiff of cannabis walking past various people/coffee shops but that was it. oh and almost all of the souvenirs either had a penis or a leaf on them haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts